Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello @gundogg9999,

The Solid State Logic SSL 2+ uses a USB-C connector running the USB 2.0 protocol. On the Designare Z390 we have disabled USB 2.0 protocol on both of the rear panel Thunderbolt/USB-C ports in order to avoid exceeding 15 USB ports.
  • Does your computer have a front panel USB-C port? If so, have you tried connecting the SSL 2+ to that port?
We can also modify the USB port map to enable USB 2.0 on one or both of the Thunderbolt ports, but we will need to disable USB 2.0 on some other ports in order once again to stay within the 15 port limit. Is this something you're interested in?

View attachment 545103

hi Casey, thanks a lot. Now it makes sense. I think having 1 TB and 1 USB C at the back makes sense, one for each device type. Can you point me in the right direction to do this please?

Also just for my info, according to you explanation and screenshot actually the SSL 2+ doesnt need USB C? I would only need a USB C to USB 2.0 cable, right?

Lastly no my case doesnt have usb C on the front, only USB A with 2.0 and 3.0.

thanks very much

hi Casey, thanks a lot. Now it makes sense. I think having 1 TB and 1 USB C at the back makes sense, one for each device type. Can you point me in the right direction to do this please?

Also just for my info, according to you explanation and screenshot actually the SSL 2+ doesnt need USB C? I would only need a USB C to USB 2.0 cable, right?

Lastly no my case doesnt have usb C on the front, only USB A with 2.0 and 3.0.

thanks very much
If you have a USB C to USB A cable, please try that. If the SSL 2+ is bus powered, then it may or may not work on a USB A port. But if it has its own power plug then it should work.

To enable USB 2 protocol on one of the Thunderbolt ports I can provide a modified USB SSDT (soon).

UPDATE:
  • To enable USB 2 devices on the Thunderbolt/USB-C port closest to HDMI port, please use the attached SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V8-HS08.aml as follows:
    • Copy the file to OC/ACPI folder
    • Add an entry in config.plist --> ACPI section
    • Disable the existing entry for SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml
Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 3.39.14 PM.png

This diagram shows which USB 2.0 port will be DISABLED (HS03) and which one will be ENABLED (HS08):

Designer Rear IO Layer v3_resize.png

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V8-HS08.aml
    861 bytes · Views: 57
Last edited:
Hello @fvlasie,

Some questions:
  • Which Thunderbolt devices are you using?
  • Were you able to connect a Thunderbolt device to both Thunderbolt ports in Big Sur without any problem?
  • Which version of BIOS are you using?
  • Were you using the same version of BIOS in Big Sur?
  • In BIOS, have you tried setting "Thunderbolt --> Thunderbolt Boot Support" to "Boot Once"?
Hello @CaseySJ !

I am using a Presonus Quantum audio interface and and LG monitor. The monitor is only using thunderbolt as an uplink for the USB ports in the monitor (running my mouse and keyboard).

In Big Sur both thunderbolt ports worked equally well.

I am using f9i BIOS both now and in Big Sur.

I have tried setting "Thunderbolt --> Thunderbolt Boot Support" to "Boot Once" but the problem persists. :(

And just to start with a clean slate, the EFI I am using now was your 0.7.8 download for BC, upgraded with HackinDROM to 0.7.9 -- no changes other than the necessary platform info.

(It is a pleasure to talk to you! I am a huge fan of your superthread!)

Hello @CaseySJ !

I am using a Presonus Quantum audio interface and and LG monitor. The monitor is only using thunderbolt as an uplink for the USB ports in the monitor (running my mouse and keyboard).

In Big Sur both thunderbolt ports worked equally well.

I am using f9i BIOS both now and in Big Sur.

I have tried setting "Thunderbolt --> Thunderbolt Boot Support" to "Boot Once" but the problem persists. :(

And just to start with a clean slate, the EFI I am using now was your 0.7.8 download for BC, upgraded with HackinDROM to 0.7.9 -- no changes other than the necessary platform info.

(It is a pleasure to talk to you! I am a huge fan of your superthread!)
Thank you for the answers. Let's see if the following helps:
  • In Monterey please connect both the LG UltraFine and the Presonus.
  • Then download and run IORegistryExplorer (can be downloaded from here).
  • Scroll (not 'search') down to RP05 and post a screenshot of that section (CMD-SHIFT-5 will save screenshot to Desktop).

Here is the screenshot!

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 5.37.45 PM.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 5.37.45 PM.jpeg
    649.2 KB · Views: 44
Here is the screenshot!

Thank you!
The Presonus is attached to Thunderbolt port 1, but there’s no sign of the LG UltraFine (DSB4 is empty). Are you able to attach the Presonus to the other Thunderbolt port?

Thunderbolt monitors have given us a lot of grief, unfortunately, which is why Note 7c exists at the top of Post 1.

where can I find the latest EFI for this amazing build? I'm looking to buy the same hardware and make it as well!
Post 1

Back