Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ Hello! Excuse me, where did I do something wrong? I didn't see xhc5 and ssp1! A few minutes later, the two items turned red! The system freezes!
Some comments:
  • It is normal for those devices to turn red. Other devices can also turn red, which is okay.
  • The USB controller is XHC3, not XHC5. However, the USB ports are not present in IORegistryExplorer. Normally we should see:
    • XHC3 --> HS01
    • XHC3 --> HS02
    • XHC3 --> SSP1
    • XHC3 --> SSP2
  • We actually see the problem very frequently. USB ports might not be detected. Some suggestions:
    • Try a cold boot (shutdown and flip power switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds, then power up).
    • Try connecting 9-pin USB cable to internal USB 2 header on motherboard.
  • The system crash or freeze could be due to something else. Or did the freeze occur immediately after trying to connect or disconnect a Thunderbolt device?

** Custom BIOS F9i with Latest Intel Micro Code 0xEC and Intel ME Security Fixes **
Credit: @Elias64Fr

WARNING:
Please install BIOS F9i OFFICIAL version before installing this one
If you are already running BIOS F9i, then you may install the new BIOS directly

Double Warning:
YOU MUST BE RUNNING BIOS F9i (official version) BEFORE PROCEEDING. IF YOU FAIL TO MEET THIS CRITERIA, YOUR MOTHERBOARD WILL NOT BOOT.​

Introduction:
When Gigabyte released their latest BIOS F9 (no letter after "9") they fixed some important security vulnerabilities and converted the BIOS into a "capsule" BIOS that we cannot downgrade.

@Elias64Fr has just released a new modified version of the F9i BIOS that includes the fix for "Major vulnerabilities" and also updates the Intel micro-code. More specifically, the modified F9i BIOS contains these changes:
  • Intel CPU Microcode version 0xEC (04/24/2021)​
  • Intel ME version 12.0.81.1753 for Security Vulnerabilities​

The resulting file is called Z390DESI_modMC_04282021_0906_Rev_0xEC_modME_12.0.81.1753.F9i, and it's attached below.

As always, the decision to use or not use this BIOS is up to you. It is entirely optional. I have tested the new BIOS for half a day now and found no issues.

Procedure:
This version can be flashed with Q-Flash within BIOS Setup. Once again, this you MUST be on BIOS F9i (official version) before you can install this modified version. Failure to follow this requirement will result in motherboard failing to boot. Install that version FIRST if you are not already on it.

If you are on the F9 (no letter) "capsule" BIOS, continue to use that version and do not install this version.

Ah yes, the Sapricot warning :lol:

• If Monterey is installed on Samsung NVMe SSDs, boot time can increase by 60-100 seconds due to "trim" incompatibilty.
    • This can be addressed by cloning the Samsung NVMe SSD to another disk, erasing the Samsung NVMe SSD with Disk Utility, and cloning macOS back. Please be careful with this process if you decide to do it.
Do I get that right that the only workaround is to format the entire SSD and copying (cloning with SuperDuper or other) back to the SSD?
I was shocked when the system needed so unbelievably much time to start

Another issue I encounter is that the system would not go in the sleep state alone, sometimes it just comes up straight away when I manually put it into sleep but that happened before I updated from OC 0.7.7 to OC 0.7.8

Hello,
Can anyone confirm if DRM is working on Apple TV.app/Safari with macOS Monterey 12.2.1 (iMacPro1,1)?
It is not woking for me :( (works with Chrome)

Code:
{
    disableGVAEncryption = YES;
    gvaForceAMDAVCDecode = 1;
    gvaForceAMDAVCEncode = 1;
    gvaForceAMDHEVCDecode = 1;
    gvaForceAMDKE = 1;
}
+/-
Code:
 defaults write com.apple.coremedia hardwareVideoDecoder -string force

Last edited:
That may not be exactly the question, but that's my answer. Everything works perfectly under Monterey 12.3ß2 and iMacPro1,1 (DRM AppleTV and Netflix, Canal+... with Safari)

That may not be exactly the question, but that's my answer. Everything works perfectly under Monterey 12.3ß2 and iMacPro1,1 (DRM AppleTV and Netflix, Canal+... with Safari)
That beta was catastrophic for me, rolled back to 12.2.1 and no DRM :crazy:

That may not be exactly the question, but that's my answer.
And with this famous quote, we see a fully-rounded Pif Gadget education… Thanks, you made my day!

Hey there everyone!

Built my first Hackintosh with the use of this super helpful thread a few years ago now. So first of all thanks! I absolutely love this build, and it's the quitest machine I've ever used. Love it for that!

I am wanting to upgrade my mac os x on my build. I definitely need to do it up to Mac Os X 11 but am considering doing it up to Mac Os X 12. Any tips on how to do it? Is it just as simple as using the Tonymacx86 installation guides?

Essentially I'm a Logic Pro X user, and I need to update this machine to match my Macbook plugins etc.

Here's my system:

Board: Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3)
Graphics: MSI AMD RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC 8 GB
CPU: Intel i9 9900
CPU Cooler: BE QUIET Dark Rock Pro 4 135 mm Silent Wings Fan CPU Cooler - Black
WIFI: Fenvi FV-T919
PSU: BE QUIET Dark Power Pro 11 850W Modular Power Supply
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 56 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Hard Drive: 2 X Samsung MZ-V7E1T0BW 970 EVO 1 TB V-NAND M.2 PCI Express SSD

Any advice/tips would be helpful. Thanks!

Hey there everyone!

Built my first Hackintosh with the use of this super helpful thread a few years ago now. So first of all thanks! I absolutely love this build, and it's the quitest machine I've ever used. Love it for that!

I am wanting to upgrade my mac os x on my build. I definitely need to do it up to Mac Os X 11 but am considering doing it up to Mac Os X 12. Any tips on how to do it? Is it just as simple as using the Tonymacx86 installation guides?

Essentially I'm a Logic Pro X user, and I need to update this machine to match my Macbook plugins etc.

Here's my system:

Board: Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3)

Graphics: MSI AMD RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC 8 GB

CPU: Intel i9 9900

CPU Cooler: BE QUIET Dark Rock Pro 4 135 mm Silent Wings Fan CPU Cooler - Black

WIFI: Fenvi FV-T919

PSU: BE QUIET Dark Power Pro 11 850W Modular Power Supply

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 56 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Hard Drive: 2 X Samsung MZ-V7E1T0BW 970 EVO 1 TB V-NAND M.2 PCI Express SSD

Any advice/tips would be helpful. Thanks!
Looks good with very gentle overclocking -if any.
If you have the option to run the OS and apps from a SATA SSD and use one M2 SSDs for samples and one for recording, I think you'll be more pleased with the result.

Back