Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello @bluetoy,

Welcome to the forum! Do note, however, that Z390 Designare is by Gigabyte, not Asus.

Your Apollo should be able to connect and work without flashing the firmware. We recommend setting BIOS --> Thunderbolt --> Thunderbolt Boot Support to Boot Once.
Hello @ CaseySJ

thank you for your kind and prompt reply, yes it’s Gigabyte of course…..

Do you suggest any specific Motherboard firmware version for stable TB3 performances ?
Is hot swapping going to be natively supported as well?

Thank you!

Hello @ CaseySJ

Do you suggest any specific Motherboard firmware version for stable TB3 performances ?

Thank you!
I recommend BIOS F9g or F9i, both of which are referenced in the Quick Reference spoiler at the top of Post 1. Please let me know if you need help to find.

If you use the OpenCore EFI Folder available from this thread then Thunderbolt hot plug will be enabled.

Looks like you're using Clover instead of OpenCore. Have you considered upgrading to OpenCore?
Very interesting. I followed the main guide which only mentions Clover in the instructions. Happy to try upgrading to OpenCore. I see you linked to this post before:
As a Catalina user, should I be using the first link in there or the second one (or both)?

Thanks @CaseySJ

Hi, I have an ASUS Z390 designare based system + I9 9900k + RX580 working fine with Catalina and Big Sur with opencore 0.7.6.
I have never used Thunderbolt before on this hack, but now I would like to use an Apollo x6. I have USB-C already working fine with an HDD ( even if no hot swap) and I also have installed SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4.aml.
Should I have to install anything else or maybe flashing the TB3 firmware? Or maybe the system could work just connecting the TB3 audio interface? Thanks
Can you tell me if your Apollo works fine with your setup.
I have the same ( just a different GPU RX6900xt)
But lots of crashes and problems with Apollo

Hello @ CaseySJ

Thank you!
Hey!
Bigsur or Catalina ?

I will try with Apollo only in the next days then I will let you know. I use both systems Catalina and Big Sur.
Thanks a lot

Even my SSD usbC drive doesn't mount

First try to isolate the cause of the problem.

Concentrate only on the Thunderbolt problem for now.

USB-c is not Thunderbolt.

I don't use USB-c drive on Thunderbolt port because it is not hot pluggable.

Maybe it is also your BIOS. I have not found any errors with the BIOS F9i, so far.

wrong bios.png
C

Very interesting. I followed the main guide which only mentions Clover in the instructions. Happy to try upgrading to OpenCore. I see you linked to this post before:
As a Catalina user, should I be using the first link in there or the second one (or both)?

Thanks @CaseySJ
Try the first one first (manual method) so you have more control and visibility into the configuration.

Back