Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

thkx CaseySJ

is it better to wait 0.7.6 ?
There's nothing wrong with OpenCore 0.7.5. If you want to install Monterey or enable Resizable BAR Support in BIOS, then 0.7.5 is needed. Otherwise it's okay to skip.

Since the SmallTree Ethernet port is no longer working under Monterey, can it be "powered down" in BIOS? Or can it only be disconnected in BIOS without any power saving?
Those ports are still functional under:
  • Big Sur, Catalina, and Mojave
  • Windows
  • Linux
There isn't an option in BIOS to disable them.

There's nothing wrong with OpenCore 0.7.5. If you want to install Monterey or enable Resizable BAR Support in BIOS, then 0.7.5 is needed. Otherwise it's okay to skip.
OK, but I have Monterey with 0.7.4 there is something wrong?

OK, but I have Monterey with 0.7.4 there is something wrong?
There is nothing wrong with 0.7.4.

What CaseySJj is doing with the 0.7.5 release is having users who want to update manually update rather than using HackinDROM to automatically update. It helps make sure we don't lose our hackintoshing skills by relying solely on automated processes.

He talks about this in post #34,129.

I just read the posts about OpenCore 0.7.5 and the related notes on SSD drives. I have been using a Samsung 970 Pro since I built my Hackintosh. So far everything is working fine but I am concerned about the recent posts. Am I sitting on a potential time bomb? Should I swap out my SSD for something else? Suggestions that are at least 1TB.
I just upgraded to CCC 6. Could I just get an enclosure for my old 970 Pro and CCC to a new?

OK, been messing around with this WIFI/BT card when I have spare time.

Weird thing is that I managed to get better Airdrop results, but I'm not sure it was because of the broadcofixup kext that I tried. My slow wifi speeds creeped back after a while, so maybe it's just random. At boot the WiFi works, then after a while it starts to crawl. Other wireless devices on the same network don't.

Anyway, beyond that I decided to tackle my ever persistent all USB dropping out issue that has been there since the beginning.

I bought a USB 2.0 PCIe card and more USB 2.0 hubs to plug all USB 2.0 devices into. Everything seems to work still, but I haven't tested enough to see if I still get USB dropping out issues.

TL:DR
I also plugged in the BT on the "FENVI" card to the internal PCIe USB 2.0 card, so that ALL USB devices truly are on that USB 2.0 card. I've NEVER been able to have Bluetooth working in BIOS/at boot, but now it does!

My trouble is now Bluetooth doesn't work AFTER boot. Is there something I need to tweak to have it work after booting? Is this Bluetooth ONLY supposed to work when plugged into the F_USB header on the MOBO?

Thanks!
Looks like if I want handoff/airdrop/continuity etc. to work, I'd need plug the BT on the card to an internal USB anyway.

Is this correct?

I can't seem to find out why the BT won't work in BIOS when it's plugged into the F_USB header. Should it work? I'm using the FENVI card, but the MQUPIN branded version.

Looks like if I want handoff/airdrop/continuity etc. to work, I'd need plug the BT on the card to an internal USB anyway.

Is this correct?

I can't seem to find out why the BT won't work in BIOS when it's plugged into the F_USB header.

AFAIK you should be able to get handoff etc, with it connected to an external usb? I might be wrong, but have you tried setting the chosen port to 255 (internal) within the USBMap.kext or through SSDT?

I just read the posts about OpenCore 0.7.5 and the related notes on SSD drives. I have been using a Samsung 970 Pro since I built my Hackintosh. So far everything is working fine but I am concerned about the recent posts. Am I sitting on a potential time bomb? Should I swap out my SSD for something else? Suggestions that are at least 1TB.
I just upgraded to CCC 6. Could I just get an enclosure for my old 970 Pro and CCC to a new?
With a Samsung NVMe SSD you're not sitting on a potential time bomb -- that would be an unduly harsh characterization of the problem. Without trim support in macOS, these Samsung NVMe SSDs can experience slower write times and somewhat reduced longevity. There might, however, be a new problem with these drives that has surfaced with Monterey, which is why boot times have slowed for many users.

So:
  • There's a general trim incompatibility issue with macOS, but that existed in Big Sur as well.
  • There's a new problem that has surfaced with Monterey, which did not exist in Big Sur.
Therefore:
  • Can the new problem be resolved or worked-around in a future version of OpenCore? Maybe...
  • If it can be resolved, then probably no need to take drastic measures at this time.
  • Another option is to revert back to Big Sur for probably 1-2 months to give the OpenCore team a little time to investigate.
  • Lastly, one can always replace the Samsung NVMe with a different brand.

Back