Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello Mr Casey !!
Are BlueToolFixup, BrcmFirmwareData and BrcmPatchRAM3 necessary with Fenvi FV-T919 and OC 0.7.5 ?
Because you say :
"
This Update Includes:
  • .../...
  • BlueToolFixup 2.6.1
  • BrcmFirmwareData 2.6.1
  • BrcmPatchRAM3 2.6.1
  • .../...

Hello Mr Casey !!
Are BlueToolFixup, BrcmFirmwareData and BrcmPatchRAM3 necessary with Fenvi FV-T919 ?
In Monterey we think it’s a good idea to enable all three of these kexts, especially if Windows/Linux is also installed.

H
Glad you brought this up!

I was at my favorite coffee shop the other day and luckily I had earned a free coffee because of their policy that says every 10th visit is free.

This triggered an evil reverse thought.

We have provided probably 9 OpenCore freebies with HackinDROM, so the 10th one should not be free!

So with the release of Monterey and OpenCore 0.7.5, we would like to get back to basics with the manual approach. It's a good opportunity to reacquaint ourselves with some of the OpenCore configuration details so we can become a little more comfortable with the process.

So in conclusion:
  • Let's upgrade to OpenCore 0.7.5 using the manual method.
  • We'll get back to HackinDROM next month with OpenCore 0.7.6.
love it. When do we get our official reward cards?

Good idea.

** Monterey Users: NVMe SSDs to Avoid **
Please do not quote this post in its entirety as contents are subject to change.
Post a link instead.

Although this applies to all versions of macOS, it is particularly applicable to Monterey users because of the sudden onslaught of trim-related issues.

Avoid installing macOS on the following NVMe M.2 SSDs:
  • Samsung 970, 970 Plus, 970 Pro
  • Samsung 980, 980 Pro
Problems can occur on the following drives that may lead to catastrophic data loss under heavy load:
  • Sabrent Rocket PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Although some folks suggest it's okay to use these as data drives, we should note that without functioning trim support in macOS, the drive's overall lifespan and write-speed can be reduced.

References:

P.S. This post will not include a list of known-good drives. If problems are reported on other drives, those drives will be added to the "do not use" list above.
Hi @CaseySJ

Just for your info regarding this topic:

a) With Samsung EVO 970, after Monterey upgrade (but before fresh install) got as told you before:
kernel: (apfs) spaceman_scan_free_blocks:3153: disk3 scan took 204.819595 s, trims took 204.469358 s

b) With Samsung EVO Plus, after Monterey Fresh Install got:
kernel: (apfs) spaceman_scan_free_blocks:3153: disk5 scan took 49.364002 s, trims took 49.193935 s

c) With WD Black SN750, after a new fresh install:
kernel: (APFS) spaceman_scan_free_blocks:3153: disk5 scan took 2.882148 s, trims took 2.674705 s

So as you can see, you were totally right about Samsung and that WD Black SN750 is performing much better in boot time.

Thanks again for your help.

Can anyone explain why macOS reports that my 27" BenQ DesignVue PD2700U is 5120 x 2880 (5K/UHD+ - Ultra High Definition Plus) when it's a 4K capable display limited to UHD (3840x2160 @ 60Hz)?

I've also connected a 4K dummy plug to access remotely to my computer with full resolution, and it's also reported as 5120 x 2880 (5K/UHD+ - Ultra High Definition Plus)

Captura de pantalla 2021-11-04 a las 8.50.20.png

The monitor is connected to my Radeon RX Vega 56 video card using a DisplayPort, and the DisplayPilot app from BenQ reports a weird synching data: 596.64x335.66@60Hz

Checking the specs of the monitor in the BenQ website, this figures correspond to the physical dimensions of the screen in mm. 596.74(H) x 335.66(V)
Captura de pantalla 2021-11-04 a las 12.19.55.png

But when I use it with Windows, reports correctly that is synched at 3840x2160@60Hz

BenQ PD2700U Display Pilot 04 Sistema 01 Información.png

I usually work at 2K resolution (2560x1440@60Hz, HiDPI) and I also use SwitchResX 4.11.2 to manage setting different resolutions.
Captura de pantalla 2021-11-04 a las 12.32.16.png

Last edited:
And this is with the Samsung firmware fix mentioned in the note?
Is it enough to just turn off trim support? How much of a difference does that make?
@TheSuitIsNotBlack

The 970 EVO (not Plus) I was using has been using the current Samsung firmware. I don't know anything about turning off Trim or how that would affect boot time. I do know that Monterey changed something and my boot times went from around 20 seconds to around 70 seconds. Big Sur boot times remained at around 20 seconds. I reformatted the 970 EVO, and cloned a bootable backup back to it and Monterey boot times went back down to 20 seconds. But a post here reported that with usage boot times again increase. Reformatting is apparently not a solution if fast Monterey boot times are important.

Yesterday I replaced the 970 EVO with a Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 I had on the shelf. Definitely a waste of speed for this Z390, but boot times of course are back down to around 20 seconds. I hope it doesn't have any trim issues, as a twin SSD on my B550 Vision D works well with Monterey.

Edit: I see CaseySJ says there are reports the Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 may not be a good choice. My Z390 Designare and B550 are not heavily used and are well backed up so I will see how the Rockets work for me.

Last edited:
Does anyone know definitively yet if the new Alderlake CPUs and Z690 motherboards are compatible Hackintosh parts?
No, how would anyone have them to test with or at least have enough time to do that ?

No, how would anyone have them to test with or at least have enough time to do that ?
Newegg seems to have the i7 versions in stock with a few of the 690 motherboards, so I thought some bleeding edger might have it by now to test.

Newegg seems to have the i7 versions in stock with a few of the 690 motherboards, so I thought some bleeding edger might have it by now to test.
Now that Apple is dropping intel processors, I think you need to be brave to buy new Alderlake for a Hackintosh Machine.... Anyway I'm also curious to understand if they are compatible (which I doubt since there's no mac with Alderlake)

Back