Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Avoid installing macOS on the following NVMe M.2 SSDs:
  • Samsung 970, 970 Plus, 970 Pro
  • Samsung 980, 980 Pro
What about the 960s ?

What about the 960s ?
There are probably others as well. The list is based on reports posted in this and the Z490 Vision D threads. I'll include a link to vit9696's post. That link has been present at the top of Post 1 in all of these threads for some time:
  • Z390 Designare
  • Z490 Vision D
  • B550 Vision D

Problems can occur on the following drives that may lead to catastrophic data loss under heavy load:
  • Sabrent Rocket NVMe SSDs
Whoa! Our Sabrents are susceptible to failure, too?

Whoa! Our Sabrents are susceptible to failure, too?
I've updated the post to say PCIe 4.0 versions! Alas I do have one of them, but it's very lightly used and has not had any issues.

From what I can tell, this is an issue with these particular APFS-formatted SSDs with OC and MacOS installed.

All of my data SSDs are HFS+. A few data clones are EXFAT for use in Windows, if ever needed. My Angelbird SATA SSD is still going strong as an OS disk. I wonder if it would be best to disable TRIM and employ a manual TRIM operation maybe once a month or so.

Last edited:
le to Monterey users because of the sudden onslaught of trim-related issues.

Avoid installing macOS on the following NVMe M.2 SSDs:
  • Samsung 970, 970 Plus, 970 Pro
  • Samsung 980, 980 Pro
Rats. I bought a Samsung 980 as a Big Sur boot drive. I have been using this for over a month with 0 problems. I am not experiencing any boot slow downs. So what else will/can go wrong with these drives? 980 has a pablo controller, BTW.

So I can check if trim is working properly with SetApfsTrimTimeout. I just had a look in opencore configurator, but I don't see this parameter.
How do I use this? I set this where?

So I can check if trim is working properly with SetApfsTrimTimeout. I just had a look in opencore configurator, but I don't see this parameter.
How do I use this? I set this where?
FYI...
Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 1.23.10 PM.png

Back