Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

This is awesome -- this means that the required Thunderbolt SSDT will be baked directly into the motherboard BIOS file?
Right
So we don't need to put it into our OpenCore EFI ?
Right, but I have to verify if custom SSDT is required for loading ThunderboltNhi DXE driver

Following screenshots show my current BIOS included SSDT-Tbt and DSDT part of DTGP, Darwin _OSI.

I also added a new variable TBFW for disabling unrequired Methods for custom Tbt firmware like TINI :):
As you know, we cannot load ThunderboltNhi, PciThunderbolt, ThunderboltXDomainDevice simply by adding them to the OpenCore Drivers folder. However, you discovered that these drivers depend on other Apple drivers (volume A3C7A8BA-094A-47C6-9F66-F6DE5E42A6E7 and ApplePlatformInfoDatabase).

Do you think it may be possible to load all of these drivers through the OpenCore Drivers folder? My feeling is that this might not work because:
  • Gigabyte's Thunderbolt DXE driver may interfere.
  • These drivers may need to run during the early part of DXE stage (DXE = driver execution environment); this would only be possible by putting them directly into the Gigabyte BIOS.
  • OpenCore EFI files, I believe, are invoked during the final part of DXE stage (boot loader phase).

We especially need to test problem devices such as:
  • Antelope Audio devices
  • Thunderbolt monitors during BIOS and OpenCore (black screen or full video signal?)
  • Thunderbolt devices with USB-C Alt Mode such as Belkin Thunderbolt Dock Pro and 2019 LG UltraFine 5K
  • Even the Apple Thunderbolt-to-Gigabit Ethernet adapter (it works in Catalina, but not in Big Sur)
I haven't experienced any Thunderbolt2-to-Gigabit Ethernet adapter issue on Big Sur .. before and after ThunderboltNhi including !

Capture d’écran 2021-06-11 à 01.34.12.png

I haven't experienced any Thunderbolt2-to-Gigabit Ethernet adapter issue on Big Sur .. before and after ThunderboltNhi including !

WOW!!

On my Z390 Designare with Big Sur 11.5 Beta 2, the BCM5701 driver does not load, but works properly in Catalina.
Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 4.36.38 PM.png

As you know, we cannot load ThunderboltNhi, PciThunderbolt, ThunderboltXDomainDevice simply by adding them to the OpenCore Drivers folder. However, you discovered that these drivers depend on other Apple drivers (volume A3C7A8BA-094A-47C6-9F66-F6DE5E42A6E7 and ApplePlatformInfoDatabase).

Do you think it may be possible to load all of these drivers through the OpenCore Drivers folder? My feeling is that this might not work because:
  • Gigabyte's Thunderbolt DXE driver may interfere.
  • These drivers may need to run during the early part of DXE stage (DXE = driver execution environment); this would only be possible by putting them directly into the Gigabyte BIOS.
  • OpenCore EFI files, I believe, are invoked during the final part of DXE stage (boot loader phase).
ApplePlatformInfoDatabase DXE driver couldn't be loaded if I don't have 2 others files previously loaded on PEI part.

I don't think that current version of OpenCore can load PEI drivers ? Interesting question to be submitted to @Acidanthera and maybe included on future version :mrgreen: !

ApplePlatformInfoDatabase DXE driver couldn't be loaded if I don't have 2 others files previously loaded on PEI part.
Ah, that makes a huge difference. PEI (pre-EFI initialization) comes before DXE so I believe the only solution is in fact to modify the Gigabyte BIOS.

I don't think that current version of OpenCore can load PEI drivers ? Interesting question to be submitted to @Acidanthera and maybe included on future version :mrgreen: !
:)

Hi @3Dman ,
I don't have slow wake from sleep ? How long take your wake ?
15 seconds total, it takes 13 seconds for USB devices to start. Before the patch, USB devices started instantly and the whole cycle took 2 seconds.

Back