Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hmmm, still no HP, unfortunately :problem:
Are you using a recent BIOS that supports Resizeable BAR Support? If so, it may be a good idea to revert to an older BIOS.

Hello @CaseySJ
I have annoying issues with my Fenvi
Could you please update Z390 Designare in HackinDROM.app to support IntelWifi and BT for the latest version, I would like to test it again

Okay, let's try MOD3 and MOD4 attached here. If these also fail then we'll have to fall back to the SSDT method (TbtOnPCH).
Hey Casey,

Thanks again for all your work here.

Sadly, I got nowhere with MOD3 or MOD4 either. Thunderbolt simply didn't show at all. I've reflashed the original firmware and am back to the SSDT method, though to be honest - while it is nice having Thunderbolt bus. I think I am going to return to no SSDT at all. With no SSDT, I get Thunderbolt on every boot after the first warm boot, and it is stable. With the TbtOnPch SSDT I get random disconnects. It works some boots and doesn't work other boots, etc.

I think we can conclude that the GA-Z170X-UD5 TH is simply not great for Thunderbolt compatibility at this point, which is hopefully useful info for your repositories anyways.

Thanks again for experimenting with me!

EDIT: There's nothing regarding SMBIOS on this is there? I'm currently using iMac 18,3

Last edited:
Hey Casey,

Thanks again for all your work here.

Sadly, I got nowhere with MOD3 or MOD4 either. Thunderbolt simply didn't show at all. I've reflashed the original firmware and am back to the SSDT method, though to be honest - while it is nice having Thunderbolt bus. I think I am going to return to no SSDT at all. With no SSDT, I get Thunderbolt on every boot after the first warm boot, and it is stable. With the TbtOnPch SSDT I get random disconnects. It works some boots and doesn't work other boots, etc.

I think we can conclude that the GA-Z170X-UD5 TH is simply not great for Thunderbolt compatibility at this point, which is hopefully useful info for your repositories anyways.

Thanks again for experimenting with me!

EDIT: There's nothing regarding SMBIOS on this is there? I'm currently using iMac 18,3
Ha, the five stages of grief can be roughly paraphrased!
  • denial.
    • "Casey says most Thunderbolt devices do not need the Bus, and there are eccentricities associated with Thunderbolt bus activation except on Z390 Designare and Z490 Vision D. But I deny that this is true for my motherboard."
  • anger.
    • "Casey must be wrong. I am so pissed at such a casual dismissal of activating Thunderbolt bus. I want that Bus. I must have that Bus!"
  • bargaining.
    • "Let's try to get the Bus. Let's try the TbtOnPCH SSDT. Then let's flash MOD1, MOD2, MOD3, and MOD4."
  • depression.
    • "Man, I'm so depressed nothing is working. This sucks."
  • acceptance.
    • "I will accept reality. Back to standard hot plug SSDT. Who cares about Thunderbolt Bus anyway!" :)

P.S. No, iMac18,3 is fine. Refer to Stage 5! :)

Ha, the five stages of grief can be roughly paraphrased!
  • denial.
    • "Casey says most Thunderbolt devices do not need the Bus, and there are eccentricities associated with Thunderbolt bus activation except on Z390 Designare and Z490 Vision D. But I deny that this is true for my motherboard."
  • anger.
    • "Casey must be wrong. I am so pissed at such a casual dismissal of activating Thunderbolt bus. I want that Bus. I must have that Bus!"
  • bargaining.
    • "Let's try to get the Bus. Let's try the TbtOnPCH SSDT. Then let's flash MOD1, MOD2, MOD3, and MOD4."
  • depression.
    • "Man, I'm so depressed nothing is working. This sucks."
  • acceptance.
    • "I will accept reality. Back to standard hot plug SSDT. Who cares about Thunderbolt Bus anyway!" :)

P.S. No, iMac18,3 is fine. Refer to Stage 5! :)
What are you referring to when you say 'standard hot plug ssdt'? I've only tried the tbtOnPch one with limited success. I can't quite judge the tone of this post, but if it's less humour and more annoyance - I'm sorry for wasting your time man!

What are you referring to when you say 'standard hot plug ssdt'? I've only tried the tbtOnPch one with limited success. I can't quite judge the tone of this post, but if it's less humour and more annoyance - I'm sorry for wasting your time man!
No no, that was just humor. You haven't wasted a moment of my time. I love working on Thunderbolt mods, regardless of outcome.

No no, that was just humor. You haven't wasted a moment of my time. I love working on Thunderbolt mods, regardless of outcome.
Thanks so much Casey. I enjoyed experimenting with flashing the chip too. I have to admit i can't seem to get it working without the thunderbolt bus SSDT at all now though

Back