Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Step 6: Program the Modified Firmware into SPI Flash ROM
  • Finally we are ready to program the chip with the modified firmware.
  • Locate the firmware file and use the following command:
sudo flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0,spispeed=1024 -w Name_Of_Modified_Firmware.bin

Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~/Downloads $ sudo flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0,spispeed=1024 -w TitanRidgeMacOSFirmware.bin
flashrom  on Linux 4.19.97-v7l+ (armv7l)
flashrom is free software, get the source code at https://flashrom.org

Using clock_gettime for delay loops (clk_id: 1, resolution: 1ns).
Found Winbond flash chip "W25Q80.V" (1024 kB, SPI) on linux_spi.
Reading old flash chip contents... done.
Erasing and writing flash chip... Erase/write done.
Verifying flash... VERIFIED.
  • If all goes well, your output should resemble the output above, namely:
    • Reading old flash chip... Erase/write done.
    • Verifying flash... VERIFIED.

@CaseySJ I was able to get through all these steps except the write failed. Now it can't be identified by flashrom. Is there any hope for me?

@CaseySJ I was able to get through all these steps except the write failed. Now it can't be identified by flashrom. Is there any hope for me?
I had this issue as well, but it worked for me when I tried second time around. Did you try again?

In the B550 Vision D build guide there is a Thunderbolt section under “Tech Talk” in which the use of Raspberry Pi and 3.3V Arcelli USB CH341a are the only recommended programmers. The “Supplemental” procedure should not be used on that board. Actually, the Arcelli and its clones are ideal and tend to be even more effective than the Raspberry Pi because they seem to have higher power delivery.

I’ll add a “deprecated” warning to all other procedures.

Meanwhile, your best bet now is to try an Arcelli (or clone). Let’s hope the flash ROM chip is still okay. Always start by reading the contents three times, comparing checksums, and also running the “strings” command on one of the extracted files to ensure there are some human readable strings present.

Also feel free to ask questions at any point.

Has anyone had success driving an Apple Pro Display XDR or LG 5K display via Thunderbolt from this setup?
I am using an i9-9900K CPU with a 5700XT video card, I have DisplayPort out on the 5700XT connected to the DisplayPort in on the Z390 Designare. I have applied the ROM patch to the on-board Thunderbolt. I am running Catalina 10.15.7 with OC 0.6.3. I have PCIe video initialized first with on-board GPU enabled in the BIOS. When I plug in a display via Thunderbolt my box restarts and/or goes to BIOS.
Should this work? Does anyone have ideas what to check to try to diagnose this?
Note: DisplayPort out from the 5700XT to a monitor with DisplayPort in works fine.
Note 2: Hot-plug of USB-C Storage, TB3 Storage, and TB UAD Audio interfaces, and TB3 10Gb network interfaces all work fine.
How did you get your onboard Thunderbolt to work. It works great in Catalina but in Big Sur no TB?
Any clue?

Please see the post below. Unfortunately there might be no solution for the Asus XG-C100C, so the Sonnet G10E-1X-E3 (for example) would be a better choice:

Thanks @CaseySJ ! I've just swapped the Asus with a Syba ACQ107 : https://www.amazon.it/dp/B07G2DV9K2/?tag=tonymacx86com-21

but still no joy at all, any hint!?

I need help with my system. Or, maybe I am wrong, but it seems like it shouldn't be running like this. All I have done is imported footage into final cut and it is transcoding. Both the GPU and CPU fans have spun up and this is what activity monitor looks like.

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 1.02.47 AM.png

Here are screen shots of my OCC.

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 9.56.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 9.56.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 9.56.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 9.56.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 9.57.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 9.57.58 AM.png

I wonder if anyone can help:

My machine has stopped connecting to the app store,

Initially I signed into iCloud a while after having built the machine, so wondered if that had caused the issue as not long after doing so it stopped functioning. I also had shifted back to emulated ram following some weird Native Instruments behaviour on native ram. Anyhow the inability to connect was not immediate and changing SMUID & deleting various prefs/caches didn't solve it, I did however eventually revert to a previous backup of the machine (from before connecting to iCloud) and it reconnected to the app store (EFI unchanged). I thought all solved but it has just stopped connecting again - I've replaced Emuvariable just now to no avail. Any suggestions as to other routes to try?

Thanks a lot :)

I wonder if anyone can help:

My machine has stopped connecting to the app store,

Initially I signed into iCloud a while after having built the machine, so wondered if that had caused the issue as not long after doing so it stopped functioning. I also had shifted back to emulated ram following some weird Native Instruments behaviour on native ram. Anyhow the inability to connect was not immediate and changing SMUID & deleting various prefs/caches didn't solve it, I did however eventually revert to a previous backup of the machine (from before connecting to iCloud) and it reconnected to the app store (EFI unchanged). I thought all solved but it has just stopped connecting again - I've replaced Emuvariable just now to no avail. Any suggestions as to other routes to try?

Thanks a lot :)
First step is to check if en0 exists in System Information --> Network.
Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 8.22.27 AM.png

If not, then follow the procedure in this post, reboot, and check App Store again.

First step is to check if en0 exists in System Information --> Network.
View attachment 500599
If not, then follow the procedure in this post, reboot, and check App Store again.
Thanks Casey
It does exist, however I'm connected solely via ethernet currently, as my wifi card gave up the ghost

Perhaps that could be the issue? I don't remember having used the app store since removing the card

Back