Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

First step is to check if en0 exists in System Information --> Network.
View attachment 500599
If not, then follow the procedure in this post, reboot, and check App Store again.
Scrap that, rebuilt the plist as suggested and it's connected, fantastic!

Thanks a lot

One other question you may know the answer to:

even though the config is set to boot from last booted volume, it keeps pointing towards the Prebooter Filevault volume, instead of the normal one, any ideas why that might be?

In the B550 Vision D build guide there is a Thunderbolt section under “Tech Talk” in which the use of Raspberry Pi and 3.3V Arcelli USB CH341a are the only recommended programmers. The “Supplemental” procedure should not be used on that board. Actually, the Arcelli and its clones are ideal and tend to be even more effective than the Raspberry Pi because they seem to have higher power delivery.

I’ll add a “deprecated” warning to all other procedures.

Meanwhile, your best bet now is to try an Arcelli (or clone). Let’s hope the flash ROM chip is still okay. Always start by reading the contents three times, comparing checksums, and also running the “strings” command on one of the extracted files to ensure there are some human readable strings present.

Also feel free to ask questions at any point.
Thanks. Hopefully nothing is broken. There was no magic smoke, so that's good. And it pulled the backup out OK with matched checksums, so there's that positive note.

In the B550 Vision D build guide there is a Thunderbolt section under “Tech Talk” in which the use of Raspberry Pi and 3.3V Arcelli USB CH341a are the only recommended programmers. The “Supplemental” procedure should not be used on that board. Actually, the Arcelli and its clones are ideal and tend to be even more effective than the Raspberry Pi because they seem to have higher power delivery.

Meanwhile, your best bet now is to try an Arcelli (or clone). Let’s hope the flash ROM chip is still okay. Always start by reading the contents three times, comparing checksums, and also running the “strings” command on one of the extracted files to ensure there are some human readable strings present.

Also, I can't remember if I actually turned on the power on the PSU once it appeared to be able to connect without it, so perhaps I avoided damaging the chip. If it can't discover the chip with the original method, and I'm sure I have my connections correct, does that mean the chip is bricked?

I had this issue as well, but it worked for me when I tried second time around. Did you try again?
I will be trying again today. Fingers crossed.

I just ordered the clone - NOYITO CH341A programmer. Should I avoid trying again with the Pi?

Scrap that, rebuilt the plist as suggested and it's connected, fantastic!

Thanks a lot

One other question you may know the answer to:

even though the config is set to boot from last booted volume, it keeps pointing towards the Prebooter Filevault volume, instead of the normal one, any ideas why that might be?
If you're using Clover, this behavior would indicate a problem accessing NVRAM. Use of EmuVariable is not recommended because now we know how to enable native NVRAM on Z390 systems.
  • Install BIOS F9g or newer and set BIOS --> BOOT --> CFG-Lock to Disabled.
  • Follow this guide for switching to native NVRAM (but skip all steps related to MSR 0xE2 because they are not necessary if using BIOS F9g or newer).

I just ordered the clone - NOYITO CH341A programmer. Should I avoid trying again with the Pi?
Yes, it's best to stop completely and wait for the Noyito.

Hi Casey

Yes Catalina with Clover was working fine.

The current test Monitor is a basic DELL SE2219H Display - can only connect via HDMI.

I am currently trying to source a new 49" Ultrawide which will then connect via DisplayPort.

However must be something to do with OpenCore / BigSur - as all worked fine on Catalina/Clover.
This is strange...a simple HDMI monitor (Dell SE2219H) should work with OpenCore/Big Sur. I would recommend downloading and trying SwitchResX. It has a free trial period.

On my B550 Vision D (AMD Ryzen CPU) with AMD R9 GPU, SwitchResX easily enabled 4K at 60Hz when Big Sur itself could not. Because SwitchResX has a free trial period, you have nothing to lose. It does take a little bit of experimentation to figure out how to use it.

Although your problem is different from 4K/60, I still suggest using SwitchResX first to see it's just an EDID/Resolution problem.

Hi - I successfully moved from Clover to Opencore - running the beta of Big Sur on an external drive with no problem.

I have now installed the new full version of BigSur on my main SSD and all is running well apart from a couple of things.

The main issue is when I boot from off - the Hack fires up and seems to boot but I get no signal to the monitor. I turn it off and on again and then get signal and all boots fine. Any ideas?
I had this exact same issue when i upgraded to OpenCore from Clover and I cannot figure out for the life of me what the problem is. I asked @CaseySJ about this recently but we couldn’t really find a resolution. A temporary fix I found was that I disabled internal graphics in the BIOS but this isn’t ideal either.

I need help with my system. Or, maybe I am wrong, but it seems like it shouldn't be running like this. All I have done is imported footage into final cut and it is transcoding. Both the GPU and CPU fans have spun up and this is what activity monitor looks like.

View attachment 500586

Here are screen shots of my OCC.

View attachment 500587
View attachment 500588
View attachment 500589
View attachment 500590
View attachment 500591
View attachment 500592

anyone got anything for me on this?

Back