Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Plan C:
  • Find a spare USB flash disk or use an existing USB install disk.
  • If using a new USB flash disk, format the disk in Disk Utility:
    • Name: Boot Test
    • Format: MacOS Extended (Journaled)
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  • Mount EFI partition of the USB flash disk.
  • If there's an EFI folder in the EFI partition, rename the EFI folder to something else, such as EFI-OLD.
  • Follow Step 1 of the Catalina 10.15.4 Mini-Guide except for the 3rd bullet (3rd bullet copies macOS installer to the USB disk, which we don't want).
  • Download the ZIP file from the same Catalina Mini-Guide. You will find 2 config files there:
    • config-IGPU.plist
    • config-AMD-GPU.plist
  • Ignore the first one. Instead, copy your existing RtVariables and SMBIOS sections into config-AMD-GPU.plist. You can use a text editor like BBEdit or a Plist Editor such as ProperTree to copy those two sections.
  • Then rename config-AMD-GPU.plist --> config.plist.
  • Remember to follow the other instruction in Step 1 of Catalina 10.15.4 Mini-Guide, including copying drivers, kexts, and ACPI files from the ZIP to the new CLOVER folder.
  • Then boot from the USB flash disk by pressing F12 at BIOS splash screen and choosing the USB disk.
  • At Clover Boot Menu, select the normal option to boot into macOS.
  • Does it work?

Hello @CaseySJ ,
I'm trying to get back my MacOs. So I just installed the Backup.
Now I'm trying to update my Catalina 10,15,3 to the latest one 10,15,6.

I downloaded the latest version using your guide. However I don't get what we have to do with the gibMacOS-master.
You say "3rd bullet copies macOs Installer to the USB disk which we don't want". So what do I have to do with that files.

I don't get it. Its not very clear in my mind.

Thank you

Hello @CaseySJ ,
I'm trying to get back my MacOs. So I just installed the Backup.
Now I'm trying to update my Catalina 10,15,3 to the latest one 10,15,6.

I downloaded the latest version using your guide. However I don't get what we have to do with the gibMacOS-master.
You say "3rd bullet copies macOs Installer to the USB disk which we don't want". So what do I have to do with that files.

I don't get it. Its not very clear in my mind.

Thank you
Once the USB disk has been created with updated EFI folder, we press F12 at BIOS splash screen and boot from the USB. At Clover Boot Menu we select the Catalina disk that we want to upgrade.

At this point we can mount EFI folder of old Catalina disk and copy the new EFI folder from USB disk to that partition.

When the old version of Catalina boots up, just upgrade to latest Catalina from “System Preferences —> Software Update”.

Once the USB disk has been created with updated EFI folder, we press F12 at BIOS splash screen and boot from the USB. At Clover Boot Menu we select the Catalina disk that we want to upgrade.

At this point we can mount EFI folder of old Catalina disk and copy the new EFI folder from USB disk to that partition.

When the old version of Catalina boots up, just upgrade to latest Catalina from “System Preferences —> Software Update”.

Ok Thank you. So you don't ever create an Installation USB disk. Just create a new disk with appropriate EFI folder right ?
So what's the point of downloading the latest version with gibMacOs-Master ?
Also when you tell us to copy RTvariables and SMbios do we need to change aswell the CsrActiveConfig ? Yours is 0x67 mine is 0x3E7

Thank you

Ok Thank you. So you don't ever create an Installation USB disk. Just create a new disk with appropriate EFI folder right ?
So what's the point of downloading the latest version with gibMacOs-Master ?
Also when you tell us to copy RTvariables and SMbios do we need to change aswell the CsrActiveConfig ? Yours is 0x67 mine is 0x3E7

Thank you
There no mention of gibMacOS so I’m not sure where the confusion stems from. The guide you quoted says follow Step 1 of the 10.15.4 install guide except for 3rd bullet. It does NOT say to follow the “Preparation” pre-steps from the 10.15.4 mini-guide.

There no mention of gibMacOS so I’m not sure where the confusion stems from. The guide you quoted says follow Step 1 of the 10.15.4 install guide except for 3rd bullet. It does NOT say to follow the “Preparation” pre-steps from the 10.15.4 mini-guide.
Ok i will try this.
What about the CsR ?
Thank you

Hello @CaseySJ
Question about ROM generation
Should we generate ROM from SMBIOS (so a fake ROM) or from System ? if from System, which one ? from Mac (so eth0 MAC Adresse) or Hack (partially fake ROM?)?

Im trying to implant SMBIOS generator to CopyConfig for new users
Capture d’écran 2020-09-23 à 14.20.38.png

Good morning everybody!

I updated EFI from OpenCore 0.6.0 to 0.6.1 for Catalina 10.15.6 following @Casey guide (OpenCore 0.6.0/0.6.1 EFI)
The process. went smoothly but for some reason sidecar feature does not work anymore. I'm not sure what could caused this... In OpenCore Configurator (last version) I copied MLB, UUID, S/N into config.plist but not ROM and I'm not sure if I should have to... If anybody come across the same issue I would appreciate any help.

Thank you!

P.S. I just checked the ROM number and it's the same as in my previous version of config.plist (0.6.0) so the ROM did not cause the issue. It must be something else....

Last edited:
Hi Casey!
I'm thinking of upgrading my build using your configuration of mobo and graphics, but got some questions (this will be my third hack, but I'm still noob).

1) I have the Carbide 300R chassis and H60 water cooler, will that be ok to use for this, or do I have to replace with what you did? My current CPU (i7 6700K) runs 16-20C with the H60.

2) Is this a good graphic card for gaming? It would be nice to have something good that can last me a little while atleast! I just noticed this build was created in 2018, so maybe there are better ones now?

3) I got the Corsair RM650 PSU, do I need 750? I'm only using the onboard fans atm.

4) Will it be ok to use i9 9900K instead of the i7 9700, or does that pose compatibility issues? I prefer ease of install...

5) I considered going for Mojave 10.14.6, because it's probably more stable than Catalina, true or false?

Thanks! Hoping I haven't asked something that's been already answered a million times. I just noticed the post has 2600+ pages...

Hello @CaseySJ
Question about ROM generation
Should we generate ROM from SMBIOS (so a fake ROM) or from System ? if from System, which one ? from Mac (so eth0 MAC Adresse) or Hack (partially fake ROM?)?

Im trying to implant SMBIOS generator to CopyConfig for new users
View attachment 489125
Hi @Inqnuam,

When we upgrade from an older version of OpenCore to a newer version, we should transfer the following existing fields from PlatformInfo:
  • System Serial Number
  • System UUID
  • MLB (Board Serial Number)
  • ROM
This means we should not generate a new ROM when upgrading OpenCore. We generate a new ROM only when doing a new installation with a new serial number.

Back