Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Attachments

• E7E6F0CF-61D0-4084-9682-4193A0D8ECE6.jpeg
    E7E6F0CF-61D0-4084-9682-4193A0D8ECE6.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 48
  • If you connect only the BenQ, does the system sleep and wake properly?
  • If you connect only the Asus 4K, does the system sleep and wake properly?

If I connect only the BenQ or Asus 4k, the system sorta sleeps and wake properly. It sleeps, stays asleep, and wakes properly if I disconnect my USB keyboard. If I leave my keyboard plugged in, it goes through a sleep/wake loop. I think this is due to wake for USB being on. I saw the post about disabling that, but I never did that. Despite this, the system does not freeze/hang during sleep with only the BenQ or Asus 4k. It is only when both are connected does my PC not wake from sleep.

I did notice something new, though. I had my system freeze while using it for the very first time today while using both monitors at the same time. The system was unresponsive, no spinning bubble, no mouse. The fans ramped up just like it would when it would when it wouldn't wake up. The only difference being that the system did it while not sleeping this time.

Any ideas? I'm currently using only the Asus 4k and absolutely no issues. I've tried sleeping and waking various times with no issues.

Edit: This seems to be an issue for real Macs as well. I found some links when I googled the issues when they talked about it on the 16inch MacBook Pro.

Some say this was resolved in 10.15.6 (which I'm on) and some say it wasn't resolved until they installed the Big Sur beta. Very unfortunate. This system is perfect other than being unable to use both my monitors.

Last edited:
Running Opencore 0.6 with a designare and a MSI RX580 I am running into the problem that when my screens wake up on my large screen 3440x1440, I have to disconnect the HDMI connection and reconnect for the screen to reappear. Is there any change I can do for this to disappear? It happens on both the hdmi and displayports and doesn't happen on a 1080p screen. It's probably due to WhateverGreen but I don't know where. Thanks

So I've done some further reading, and I came across a post on a different site mentioning that certain 5700 XT cards need framebuffer patching, but all I can come across here on Tonymac is your guide for the frame buffer patching for the onboard HDMI.

Im going down this path now, in hopes to just run my third monitor with my onboard HDMI - but it has me thinking I could potentially get my additional ports on my 5700 XT working with a patch - however, I am inexperienced in figuring out what to patch.

Can you please point me toward some documentation on graphic card port patching?

Thanks!

So I've done some further reading, and I came across a post on a different site mentioning that certain 5700 XT cards need framebuffer patching, but all I can come across here on Tonymac is your guide for the frame buffer patching for the onboard HDMI.

Im going down this path now, in hopes to just run my third monitor with my onboard HDMI - but it has me thinking I could potentially get my additional ports on my 5700 XT working with a patch - however, I am inexperienced in figuring out what to patch.

Can you please point me toward some documentation on graphic card port patching?

Thanks!
Hi William,

I have pretty much an identical build to you. A few things to note:

When I first built my Hackintosh there were issues with the 5700XT and using the HDMI port. It would cause all sorts of issues for numerous people. I am not sure if this was rectified or not however one of the temporary fixes was to use the Display Ports instead of the HDMI. I too was looking at some performance improvements for my card and stumbled across the attached SSDT file. I use this on my system and certainly get some performance gains. You will need to place this into your OC/ACPI folder for the applicable clover folder if you are using clover.

There is also this guide clicking here however, this did not work for my card and the creators of this has since removed its support for our card.

Hope this helps :)

Attachments

• SSDT-RX 5700 XT-Version 1.0.aml
    676 bytes · Views: 64
Hi William,

I have pretty much an identical build to you. A few things to note:

When I first built my Hackintosh there were issues with the 5700XT and using the HDMI port. It would cause all sorts of issues for numerous people. I am not sure if this was rectified or not however one of the temporary fixes was to use the Display Ports instead of the HDMI. I too was looking at some performance improvements for my card and stumbled across the attached SSDT file. I use this on my system and certainly get some performance gains. You will need to place this into your OC/ACPI folder for the applicable clover folder if you are using clover.

There is also this guide clicking here however, this did not work for my card and the creators of this has since removed its support for our card.

Hope this helps :)
Thank you! I will try this.

Currently, my HDMI and my top DP work. The middle, and bottom DP ports do not work at all.

Hopefully this will do the trick!

EDIT: This isn't help get the third monitor going =/ - Whats strange is the monitor will display the initial apple logo, and loading bar before it swaps over to my main monitor and then loses signal. Im going to try to update my OS in hopes new drivers open up the ports. But, unfortunately, I have a hunch its some sort of port error that im going to need to patch.

Last edited:
Thank you! I will try this.

Currently, my HDMI and my top DP work. The middle, and bottom DP ports do not work at all.

Hopefully this will do the trick!

EDIT: This isn't help get the third monitor going =/ - Whats strange is the monitor will display the initial apple logo, and loading bar before it swaps over to my main monitor and then loses signal. Im going to try to update my OS in hopes new drivers open up the ports. But, unfortunately, I have a hunch its some sort of port error that im going to need to patch.

Just in case, this is the link to the guide I used to apply that 5700xt SSDT https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/amd-radeon-performance-enhanced-ssdt.296555/

Also ensure you are using the latest WhateverGreen kext. should be v1.4.1

Please try the following:
  • Shutdown and flip power switch on PSU to OFF.
  • Remove the 10Gb Intel NIC.
  • Power back up and check if boot time has improved.
If not, then attempt a CMOS Reset by shorting the two pins on motherboard as described in the Designare user manual. It's a very simple procedure that can be done with a flat head screwdriver. Afterwards it will be necessary to configure BIOS parameters again, starting with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults). And then unlock MSR 0xE2 if it was previously unlocked.
  • Actually it's better to just install BIOS F9g from here. CFG-Lock is unlocked by default in F9g, but BIOS parameters will still need to be configured.

Finally got the power-on -> Apple login screen under a minute (57s). After removing the 10G card, then CMOS reset there was no change. So I decided to update the BIOS to F9g.

Took me some time to figure out where the critical BIOS changes were located. Went to turn on -v boot option and noticed that the Boot Debug option was on. I compared all the setting to a backup config file and found a few we're different. I must have forgot to revert a few changes when I was hacking the 10G card. As soon as I corrected the Clover config then boot time was much faster. Screwed up a few times with Bios settings and the GPU card swap and few other bone head mistakes, but now the boot time is amazing.

I'm typing this reply from my primary Designare Z390 that contains Catalina, Big Sur, and Windows 10 -- while running Windows 10. OpenCore had no trouble at all booting Windows 10.

However, please see this post for how to install Windows 10:
The disk volume names (disk0s1, disk1s1, etc.) are fine. No worries there.
Hi Casey,

EDIT: BEFORE YOU READ ON. I fixed the issue. It was the SSDT-RX 5700 XT-Version 1.0-ORIGINAL.aml all along. After a heap of trial and error, removing this and the associated patch fixed the Blue Screen issue and now I can select Windows 10 at the OC Picker menu and all boots perfect. Below are some other questions I am unsure of as well as all the clean-up I did of my setting and config.plist.

I found several discrepancies in the ACPI section of OC Configurator, not sure if this is what's causing my booting into Windows from OC issue however I am about to test it.

Basically I found that I had SSDT-SBUS-MCHC.aml & SSDT-GPRW.aml as enabled in the ACPI section when in fact I didn't have them in the OC/ACPI Folder. Now, I noticed that in the mini guide for installing OC 0.6.0 for Z490 Vision D is says this ACPI --> SSDT-SBUS-MCHC (Fix AppleSMBus support in macOS) is this applicable to the Z390 Aorus Xtreme or Designare as well?? If so, I will download the SSDT, add it to the ACPI folder and re-enable it in the config.plist.

Also, I had the PATCH: ACPI --> PATCH --> Change Method(GPRW,2,N) to XPRW, pair with SSDT-GPRW.aml enabled in the PATCH's however, I did not physically have the SSDT in the OC/ACPI folder. I have now removed that patch and disabled the SSDT in the ACPI section. Is this the Disable Wake from USB / Bluetooth fix (Only wake from Power Button)? If so, I will re-enable this and add the relevant SSDT into the ACPI Folder. (Then retest my dual boot)

So far, this is what I have found. I am hoping that tidying some of these little discrepancies up may fix my dual boot issue. Fingers Crossed

Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 5.10.57 pm.png

Just a few more things.

As you can see in my screenshot below, I have AAPL,ig-platform-id value as 0300983E, although on the OpenCore website it says for a headless profile I should have value as 03009B3E. Have they made a mistake here and got their 8 and B mixed up? Anyways Im leaving mine as is until told otherwise.
Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 5.46.37 pm.png

You can see below that even the Sanity Checker believes I got it wrong. Im pretty sure my Value has come from the Z390 Designare Mini Guide.

Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 5.44.47 pm.png

I have also deleted the below Driver from the Drivers folder and removed from the UEFI --> Drivers section as the Sanity Checker stipulated this is to be removed.

Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 5.46.10 pm.png

I hope all of the above makes sense, if you see anything you think I have done and should not have please let me know or if there is anything I SHOULD do :)

Thanks Again.

I hate little issues like my dual booting issue but i'm determined to get to the bottom of it.

Last edited:
** Micro-Guide for Upgrading from Mojave to Catalina 10.15.4 **
Please do not quote this micro-guide in its entirely. Post a link instead.

Can I theoretically follow this to upgrade from 10.15.2 to 10.15.4(6?) - and will the MSR unlock work similarly on my Xtreme mobo since its still a gigabyte?

Back