Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi Casey,

Im having similar trouble with 3 monitors, but with a 5700 XT. I tried this fix but it doesn't seem to have the same result. Any suggestions on things I could tweak to make this work for my GPU?

Thanks!
@ralphonz,
  • Can you offer any suggestions for RX 5700 XT owners?
  • Where did you find the solution for RX 5xx?

• Time from pushing power button to Clover or OpenCore menu.
  • Time from Clover or OpenCore to macOS login screen.
    • Power on -> 40s BIOS (Splash screen disappears)
    • Bios -> Clover boot menu 64s
    • Clover -> Apple Logo 72s
    • Apple Logo -> Mojave login screen 22s
Additional questions:
  • Are you using SATA SSD or PCIe NVMe SSD?
    • SATA SSD
  • How full is the SSD? (Finder --> Select SSD Disk Icon --> Get Info)
    • Capacity 512GB, 90GB used
  • Do you have any Thunderbolt devices connected?
    • No
Oh that is not good at all. Those delays are happening in UEFI before the Apple kernel kicks in. Once the Apple logo appears (i.e. Apple boot.efi takes over) you are okay at 22 seconds.

Some questions/suggestions:
  • How many monitors are you connecting to the WX8200?
  • Are the monitors set to DisplayPort 1.2 instead of 1.1?
  • Have you performed a CMOS Reset and configured BIOS parameters again, starting with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults)?
  • Which version of BIOS are you running?
  • How long have you had this system?
  • Was it booting up quickly for the most part, but now recently the boot process has slowed?
  • Have you flashed your Thunderbolt firmware flashed? Or is it still the original?
  • Are you using any Bluetooth devices?
  • Have you tried disabling BIOS --> X.M.P. Profile 1?

Pomona probably won't fit: I will use flashed AR instead.
I think the onboard TB3 will still work for some of the UAD box, just can't do hot plug.

We generally see two types of Thunderbolt flash chips:
  • Winbond
  • MXIC (Macronix)
Does the back side contain an MXIC chip (also 8 pins)?

If the Winbond chip on the front is indeed the right chip, but it's a little bit obstructed, it might be possible to attach the Pomona 5250 clip instead. This is a more expensive part, however, and from the photo of your board, it's not clear whether this clip will fit. But it is an option...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHH65T4/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Is your CFG-Lock (MSR 0xE2) unlocked? That is a requirement for the OpenCore EFI. There are ways to bypass MSR 0xE2, but it's not recommended.
it show unlocked but this is the xtreme not designaire it showed a one originally and is now showing zero so i think it's good.

Oh that is not good at all. Those delays are happening in UEFI before the Apple kernel kicks in. Once the Apple logo appears (i.e. Apple boot.efi takes over) you are okay at 22 seconds.

Some questions/suggestions:
  • Have you performed a CMOS Reset and configured BIOS parameters again, starting with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults)?
  • Was it booting up quickly for the most part, but now recently the boot process has slowed?
  • Have you flashed your Thunderbolt firmware flashed? Or is it still the original?

• They are Apple 27" Cinema Displays, not thunderbolt
    • No, I haven't touch the bios setting since setting the machine up
    • F7
    • Since January of this year.
    • It has been doing this for a while. I don't really recall when it start or if it has always been doing this.
    • I've updated the firmware and it works fine the last time I used it. which is ~6 months ago
    • Yes the add in PCI card from your list, don't recall which, the better one.
      • Apple Keyboard is the only one setup to connect
    • Just tried it, no Change
Other notes: I'm running a firmware hacked 10Gb Intel X520-T2 PCIe card.

it show unlocked but this is the xtreme not designaire it showed a one originally and is now showing zero so i think it's good.
using the tool it shows offset 05c1, if that is unique to designaire maybe that is why mine does not work. your reply referenced 0xe2 ?

I have another system with macOS/Windows dual-boot. Will check if OpenCore can boot Windows.

Ok Thank you Casey, lets see what your system does.. Hoping we can figure this out.

I also just noticed something odd (I think) My Windows SSD, which is in the m.2 slot closest to the CPU has a disk identifier of Disk1s and the MacOS SSD that is in the m.2 slot below it has a disk ID of Disk01. Should this be the case, I was almost certain that when I installed Windows without any other drive in the system it was ID Disk0s and then when I reinstalled MacOS SSD it became Disk1. Could these have just swapped around and if so could that cause issues? I actually don't know if that makes any difference but just in case I have supplied the screenshots

Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 8.32.27 am.png

Windows SSD.png

MacOS SSD.png

• They are Apple 27" Cinema Displays, not thunderbolt
    • No, I haven't touch the bios setting since setting the machine up
    • F7
    • Since January of this year.
    • It has been doing this for a while. I don't really recall when it start or if it has always been doing this.
    • I've updated the firmware and it works fine the last time I used it. which is ~6 months ago
    • Yes the add in PCI card from your list, don't recall which, the better one.
      • Apple Keyboard is the only one setup to connect
    • Just tried it, no Change
Other notes: I'm running a firmware hacked 10Gb Intel X520-T2 PCIe card.
Please try the following:
  • Shutdown and flip power switch on PSU to OFF.
  • Remove the 10Gb Intel NIC.
  • Power back up and check if boot time has improved.
If not, then attempt a CMOS Reset by shorting the two pins on motherboard as described in the Designare user manual. It's a very simple procedure that can be done with a flat head screwdriver. Afterwards it will be necessary to configure BIOS parameters again, starting with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults). And then unlock MSR 0xE2 if it was previously unlocked.
  • Actually it's better to just install BIOS F9g from here. CFG-Lock is unlocked by default in F9g, but BIOS parameters will still need to be configured.

Ok Thank you Casey, lets see what your system does.. Hoping we can figure this out.

I also just noticed something odd (I think) My Windows SSD, which is in the m.2 slot closest to the CPU has a disk identifier of Disk1s and the MacOS SSD that is in the m.2 slot below it has a disk ID of Disk01. Should this be the case, I was almost certain that when I installed Windows without any other drive in the system it was ID Disk0s and then when I reinstalled MacOS SSD it became Disk1. Could these have just swapped around and if so could that cause issues? I actually don't know if that makes any difference but just in case I have supplied the screenshots

View attachment 487081
View attachment 487080
View attachment 487079
I'm typing this reply from my primary Designare Z390 that contains Catalina, Big Sur, and Windows 10 -- while running Windows 10. OpenCore had no trouble at all booting Windows 10.

However, please see this post for how to install Windows 10:
The disk volume names (disk0s1, disk1s1, etc.) are fine. No worries there.

using the tool it shows offset 05c1, if that is unique to designaire maybe that is why mine does not work. your reply referenced 0xe2 ?
MSR 0xE2 is the specific register that CFG-Lock refers to. The actual VarStore offset value is different from this. On the Z390 Designare the offset is 0x5C1. It's possible that AORUS Xtreme uses the same offset, but I cannot assert that as a fact.

If you like, you may try installing Beta F9h for AORUS Xtreme from here:
The file to download is marked:

1599372031541.png

Be sure to have the previous BIOS version handy in case F9h produces unwanted results. After installing F9h, check the various BIOS pages to see if a CFG-Lock option is available. If it exists, it may be in the BOOT section.

The alternative is to use "CFGLock.efi" as described at the bottom of the OpenCore 0.6.0 RELEASE mini-guide.

Back