Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Well, looks like Beta is definitely the correct word for this one.
After another reboot, I have been greeted with the "white apple logo of death", producing the below in verbose mode:

share3567389528083496436.jpg

Seems like there's an issue with GPU-related stuff, but I don't know enough to figure out what the culprit might be.
It's quite strange in that it survived about three reboots (and power cycling) normally, but then after that only ends up here.

The exact line it gets stuck at varies a little bit, but it's always around the [IGPU] block.

Any pointers, @CaseySJ?

Let's address the highlighted item first. Where are you looking for the SMBIOS? And what is it showing you? This might mean:
  • The wrong EFI folder is being used for booting (check BIOS --> BOOT Order).
  • Also try resetting NVRAM:
    • At OpenCore Picker menu, press space to reveal additional options.
    • The last option on the right will be Reset NVRAM.
Hey there, thanks for the response. Got it all figured, it was the SIMBIOS. I was booting from my back up OC unknowingly, boot order got switched around in BIOS for some reason. Everything works as it should now thanks!

So can I just replace my current EFI Boot and Clover Folders with the BOOT and OC folders in the EFI Zip provided in the Open Core 0.6.0 Mini guide? Then copy and paste system UUID from clover and be good to go getting NVRAM working? Just want to make sure I understand before I proceed.
Yes that achieves the same end result. Is the frozen Apple logo occurring when booting from OpenCore or from Clover?

Because you’re able to boot from the USB disk, does that disk contain the original Clover boot loader or the new OpenCore?

Well, looks like Beta is definitely the correct word for this one.
After another reboot, I have been greeted with the "white apple logo of death", producing the below in verbose mode:

Seems like there's an issue with GPU-related stuff, but I don't know enough to figure out what the culprit might be.
It's quite strange in that it survived about three reboots (and power cycling) normally, but then after that only ends up here.

The exact line it gets stuck at varies a little bit, but it's always around the [IGPU] block.

Any pointers, @CaseySJ?
I would recommend installing Big Sur on a spare SSD or onto a separate APFS partition. Because Big Sur introduces yet additional APFS shenanigans (as if volume groups in Catalina weren’t enough), we cannot install Big Sur onto an APFS volume insider an existing Container. Only a new partition (or separate disk) will work.

Installing Big Sur on top of Catalina can be highly problematic because many existing kexts and applications are simply not compatible. Even “Pixelmator”, for example, does not launch in Big Sur.

@CaseySJ What does this reset NVRAM process mean to my currently working Clover-based system? Will I have to redo anything if I simply wish to boot clover again?
This is only needed when we make changes to Boot Arguments (there are other reasons for resetting NVRAM, but those reasons are more arcane). Just modifying our config.plist in OpenCore is often not sufficient to activate those changes.

Yes that achieves the same end result. Is the frozen Apple logo occurring when booting from OpenCore or from Clover?

Because you’re able to boot from the USB disk, does that disk contain the original Clover boot loader or the new OpenCore?

The frozen apple happens when booting from open core.
The successful boot happens with a USB made using clover, and without using Unibeast. I think that’s a vanilla install, but I’m not sure.

This is only needed when we make changes to Boot Arguments (there are other reasons for resetting NVRAM, but those reasons are more arcane). Just modifying our config.plist in OpenCore is often not sufficient to activate those changes.
So does that mean that if I need to boot Clover again (that may use different boot args), I should clear it again?

I got stuck on the apple logo trying to boot Opencore, even after resetting nvram

@CaseySJ This is what my EFI Partition looks like right now. I use the Config-amd-gpu.plist that was in the OC Disgnare zip folder. The only things I edited from that plist file were the Serial, UUID etc numbers by matching anything I found in my previous config.plist file in the Clover built EFI.

Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 11.21.56 PM.png

Some questions / suggestions:
  • Has the same monitor and HDMI cable been used successfully with a different computer?
  • Is Windows installed on the same Hackintosh? If so, is the display working properly under Windows (or Linux)?
  • Trying reconnecting the HDMI cable on both the monitor and computer. Or use another HDMI port on the AMD GPU if available.
  • Try removing agdpmod=pikera from Boot Arguments (Clover Configurator --> Boot). Then restart.
  • Also try enabling CSM Support in BIOS.
Let us know if the problem persists.
Thanks very much for getting back.
  • The monitor is new but I've been running it from my MacBook Pro with the same HDMI cable and there seems to be no issue
  • Windows is not installed on the Hackintosh unfortunately.
  • The only other port on the AMD GPU is DP which the monitor doesn't support
  • I'm not seeing agdpmod=pikera in Boot Arguments... is it possible it's not there? Again I followed the 10.15.4 or newer fresh install.
  • Checked BIOS and CSM Support was already enabled.

Back