Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

FYI, a few years ago I had severe problems with an older version of Paragon NTFS.
I uninstalled Tuxera NTFS and I have exactly the same behaviour. If I boot into Windows and restart to MacOS immediately Kernel Panic after booting..
MacOS version: 10.14.6, every Kext up to date. It's related to the fact that MacOS NVMe SSD is in M2M port instead of M2P? I changed the sata ports but no luck..

Edit: When I installed Windows 10 I have removed the NVMe SSD but didn't changed the BIOS setting from "Other OS" to Windows 8/10 WHQL". It may be related to this?

@CaseySJ

I tested each SSDT file starting each without a TB device connected. Both had similar results as shown below. The only difference I noticed was that the INI-3 SSDT in IORegistryExplorer showed an IOThunderboltPort@5 with values, while the NEW-DROM SSDT contained no values. Both IORegistryExplorer zipped files are attached.

Sequence of tests:

1) Cold start without TB3 device plugged in
2) System Report - NO TB Driver, NO PCI TB3
3) Hot plugged TB3 Drive
4) No TB3 drive in Finder, System Report - NO TB Driver, NO PCI TB3
5) Reboot with TB3 drive plugged in
6) TB3 drive in Finder, System Report - Partial TB Driver, YES PCI TB3
7) Saved IORegistryExplorer file(s) - attached.
8) Eject TB3 drive in Finder and unplug drive - YES TB Driver (screenshot below for NEW-DROM), YES PCI TB3

View attachment 469766
The only time I see the full System Information TB Bus is after I do a hot plug -> restart -> eject/unplug TB device. Strange, but it probably makes sense to you.

I'll be happy to keep testing SSDT revisions until we strike gold!
I went back to the post that started it all -- the famous Osy86 repo on GitHub. Attached is the most thorough version of SSDT-TbtOnPCH, which has been tailored for the NUC 7.

It requires:
  • Renaming _E20 to XE20
  • Changing RP01:_INI to RP01:XINI
Both of these renames are the same as before. This version is very extensive so it's possible for a new set of issues to pop up. I plan to adapt and test this on my Asus X99 Deluxe II, but thought I would give you a copy before testing it myself... (always a dangerous proposition) :)

Attachments

• SSDT-TbtOnPCH-NUC-7-OSY86.aml
    15.9 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I uninstalled Tuxera NTFS and I have exactly the same behaviour. If I boot into Windows and restart to MacOS immediately Kernel Panic after booting..
MacOS version: 10.14.6, every Kext up to date. It's related to the fact that MacOS NVMe SSD is in M2M port instead of M2P? I changed the sata ports but no luck..
If you boot into Windows then shutdown and unplug the power for 10 seconds (for cold boot), then boot macOS, does the kernel panic disappear?

If the kernel panic occurs only when warm booting into macOS after exiting Windows, then it's possible Windows has installed firmware on certain components. This typically happens to Bluetooth controllers, hence the recommendation not to install Broadcom drivers, but to let Windows use the Intel CNVi module.

The Process of Elimination technique seems warranted. I would suggest removing the Fenvi WiFi/BT card to see if the problem persists.

@CaseySJ
Hi Casey, I'm running 10.14.5, your build with AMD Vega Frontier. After about 3 days of 8 to 10 hr a day working, my computer will freeze, two 4k screens will go grey, fans speed up. It is consistent but not with any particular app. I've been in Chrome, Adobe apps, Word, FF. Ram usage has only hit 30GB out of 64 GB.

It just seems that after a certain amount of time it will freeze. Any thoughts? Anything I could check?

If you boot into Windows then shutdown and unplug the power for 10 seconds (for cold boot), then boot macOS, does the kernel panic disappear?

If the kernel panic occurs only when warm booting into macOS after exiting Windows, then it's possible Windows has installed firmware on certain components. This typically happens to Bluetooth controllers, hence the recommendation not to install Broadcom drivers, but to let Windows use the Intel CNVi module.

The Process of Elimination technique seems warranted. I would suggest removing the Fenvi WiFi/BT card to see if the problem persists.
On cold boot doesn’t happen. Only after restarting from Windows. I do not have the Fenvi WiFi/BT card, I only use CNVi.

On cold boot doesn’t happen. Only after restarting from Windows. I do not have the Fenvi WiFi/BT card, I only use CNVi.
Do you have SSDT-DESIGNARE-Z390-NO-CNVW in CLOVER/ACPI/pathced?

@CaseySJ
Hi Casey, I'm running 10.14.5, your build with AMD Vega Frontier. After about 3 days of 8 to 10 hr a day working, my computer will freeze, two 4k screens will go grey, fans speed up. It is consistent but not with any particular app. I've been in Chrome, Adobe apps, Word, FF. Ram usage has only hit 30GB out of 64 GB.

It just seems that after a certain amount of time it will freeze. Any thoughts? Anything I could check?
Some questions:
  • Is the computer powered down at the end of each work day? Or is it placed in Sleep mode overnight?
  • If I recall correctly, other Vega Frontier owners reported stability issues, but they managed to overcome them. I hope there's nothing systemic with the Frontier. Has the Vega Frontier been stable for a while and this particular problem only started recently?
  • Are you using a custom SoftPowerPlay table for fan and temperature management?
  • Are you using RadeonBoost kext?

Temporarily, please see if you can boot by checking on these 2 boxes from the Clover Boot Menu:

View attachment 469043 View attachment 469044 View attachment 469045

If system still fails to boot, please compress and upload the CLOVER folder from any drive that you can access (even USB install disk). Remove serial numbers from SMBIOS section of config.plist. I would like to check (a) EFI memory driver and (b) Boot Arguments (namely, system won't boot if you use shikigva=32).

hey @CaseySJ so I finally had the time to give this a shot. When I tried to boot after your requested changes it flashed the apple logo and then gave me a circle with a line thru it like it could not be found.

here is my EFI with removed serial number. I did check and I don't have shiki-32

I was able to install my CCC Backup SSD in an external and pull this EFI from it I had just recently done a clone so this should mirror my main drive

without the changes, you mentioned and unlocked MSR I'm still just getting a bunch on ++++ and no boot.

EDIT: I will mention since I have not been able to use macOS I've been booting into Windows10 and haven't seen any issues in normal everyday use and some gaming.
If truly needed I also have an NVMe external I could pull the main drive out and put it into.

I could also attach my BIOS presets for f6 BIOS if it would help

Attachments

• EFI-WhosMac.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Some questions:
  • Is the computer powered down at the end of each work day? Or is it placed in Sleep mode overnight?
  • If I recall correctly, other Vega Frontier owners reported stability issues, but they managed to overcome them. I hope there's nothing systemic with the Frontier. Has the Vega Frontier been stable for a while and this particular problem only started recently?
  • Are you using a custom SoftPowerPlay table for fan and temperature management?
  • Are you using RadeonBoost kext?
Thank you Casey.
1. This has occurred BOTH when not going into sleep (fresh start-up, froze toward end of the day) and sleeping (today was day 3 of waking up from sleep. So about 35 hours on the system.
2. This problem never occurred before but I never worked on my computer this long until COVID-19.
3. Yes, I did install a softpowerplay table
4. No RadeonBoost kext.

Back