Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

For all scenarios that don't involve heavy video editing I would choose iMac19,1 hands down. This SMBIOS most closely mimics the hardware components of this system, namely:
  • Real iMac19,1 supports 9th Generation Intel Core CPU with Intel UHD 630 iGPU.
    • iMacPro is based on older Intel Xeon, and Xeon does not have iGPU.
  • Real iMac19,1 has no T2 chip. Neither does any Hackintosh.
    • iMacPro has T2 chip.
    • In the past Sidecar did not work on any SMBIOS with T2 chip, but I believe recent versions of WhateverGreen have sidestepped this problem.
  • Real iMac19,1 has single Thunderbolt 3 Titan Ridge controller with two Thunderbolt ports.
    • iMacPro has dual Thunderbolt 3 controllers and four Thunderbolt ports.
  • Real iMac19,1 is based on Z390 chipset if I recall correctly.
    • iMacPro is based on X299 chipset.
While some or all of these differences may not be consequential (because macOS adjusts itself to whatever hardware it detects), historically we have selected an SMBIOS based on the closest genetic relative. We might not find an identical twin, but we can choose the closest first cousin.

Thanks. I'll stick with iMac 19,1 and will post geek bench/cinebench results, as well as that video editing test you told me to run to see if my numbers align to what they're meant to be!

@CaseySJ - Hi Casey well interestingly enough I updated from Catalina Version 10.15.1 (19888) to Version 10.15.4 and something really interesting ... on one of my sites Investing.com the graphics icon that changes the picture from the site to a full-blown picture on my Acer screen was working on V10.15.1 .. but suddenly on V10.15.4 it no longer goes from the site to a full-blown picture on my Acer screen. No display changes were made nor another app changes .... ANY IDEAS ? Had to revert back to V10.5.1 for trading
Do you mean the Safari window does not expand to full screen when clicking the top right icon in your screenshot? If so, it could be due to changes in Safari.

Does this also happen in Firefox or Chrome?

Do you mean the Safari window does not expand to full screen when clicking the top right icon in your screenshot? If so, it could be due to changes in Safari.

Happening with Safari... will try with Firefox and Chrome on V10.5.1 then if it works then upgrade to V10.15.4 and try again ... Thanks

Install seems to be going fine, I've just reached the disk utility page!

Quick question though, for the 10.15.4 mini guide, you state that we should copy all .efi files in the 'Copy-to-UEFI' folder, how I've just noticed that folder also has a 'OCquirks.plist' file that I've copied over. Is this ok? Will this be detrimental and should I reinstall? Apologies I should've been paying better attention.

Last edited:

Well Firefox failed to open a full scale window ... but Chrome did ... so will try that

Install seems to be going fine, I've just reached the disk utility page!

Quick question though, for the 10.15.4 mini guide, you state that we should copy all .efi files in the 'Copy-to-UEFI' folder, how I've just noticed that folder also has a 'OCquirks.plist' file that I've copied over. Is this ok? Will this be detrimental and should I reinstall? Apologies I should've been paying better attention.
Yes copy all those files. Will edit the Mini Guide soon to reflect this.

Hello everyone. First of all, I would like to thank everyone that provided some great info on this thread. Without it, I would not have gotten to the point I am with the hack build. This is my first build and was wondering if anyone had a solution for a problem that I'm experiencing.
What I've got: Z390 Designare, i9-9900k, AMD RX580. OpenCore, 0.5.7 Catalina 10.15.4

I configured everything according to the mini guide that CaseySJ provided. Link

Snapshot of my EFI folder structure:
EFI folder snapshot.png

Can't get Thunderbolt to work. Here is the System Report
System report, Thunderbolt.png

System Report PCI.png

Interestingly enough, when I plug a USB-C LaCie P9227 hard drive into the computer, I can use it just fine.
The only other thing besides Thunderbolt not showing up under System Report, is that AirDrop does not work.

Are these two things related? Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks
Marc

Hello everyone. First of all, I would like to thank everyone that provided some great info on this thread. Without it, I would not have gotten to the point I am with the hack build. This is my first build and was wondering if anyone had a solution for a problem that I'm experiencing.
What I've got: Z390 Designare, i9-9900k, AMD RX580. OpenCore, 0.5.7 Catalina 10.15.4

I configured everything according to the mini guide that CaseySJ provided. Link

Snapshot of my EFI folder structure:
View attachment 461521

Can't get Thunderbolt to work. Here is the System Report
View attachment 461522
View attachment 461523

Interestingly enough, when I plug a USB-C LaCie P9227 hard drive into the computer, I can use it just fine.
The only other thing besides Thunderbolt not showing up under System Report, is that AirDrop does not work.

Are these two things related? Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks
Marc
Thunderbolt is working correctly. You may safely ignore that page of System Information.

@CaseySJ I'm posting this from my brand new Z390 10.15.14 build! All booted perfectly! Thank you very much sir.

• Now begins some 'Going the extra mile' steps:

• Do I follow those steps concurrently, I.E first try the things under 'DRM fixes in WhatEverGreen via Shiki Module for AMD GPU's', and if that doesn't work, trying the 'iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS + AMD GPU - DRM Workaround' (however as it means switching to iMac Pro, I'm probably not a fan of this as I want to use Sidecar with my iPad Pro for writing entry, and also as you mentioned in a previous post, the iMac 19,1 is the closest thing to our hardware), in which case, I think I'll continue to use Firefox or something.

• Do I need to do any of the other Extra mile steps (other than the bootable backup), such as 'Replacing OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 with FwRuntimeServices', 'Different FakeSMC' and any USB SSDTs or anything? TRIM is fine as I'm using an NVMe drive and as we previously discussed, I have bought a 1TB SSD to use as my backup so don't need to separate home and apps folders.

Lastly, any chance I could buy you a coffee/drink? Something like this - https://ko-fi.com ? This was the most detailed guide I've seen anywhere and your support is unparalleled. Thank you.

Last edited:
I would suggest some final options:
  • Do a fresh install of macOS on a spare SSD with the card installed in the system and Bluetooth cable plugged into F_USB. You can always erase this disk later, but it takes about 1 hour to install macOS from scratch on a spare disk (cheap SATA SSD) See if the problem still exists.
  • Also re-configure all BIOS parameters starting with Load Optimized Defaults. Enable Above 4G Decoding. And try enabling and disabling CSM Support in BIOS.
  • Finally, if you can, try replacing the card. If you purchased from a retailer like Amazon, you can have it exchanged.
  • Also open System Information, click on Bluetooth and post a screenshot (you may blank out any private info).
After a fresh install of macOS 15.4 with the card installed, the sleep issue still exists. and BIOS was configured as mini-guide except for CSM. If I disable CSM then I can't boot into system and even BIOS interface(always black screen, so here I just leave it enabled). Maybe this happens due to my GPU(HP-OEM sapphire RX 580 mini-ITX, Is the hardware too old?). My RAM's manufacturer is Corsair. Maybe the WIFI/BT card conflicts with RAM or GPU? Every next boot after sleep or shutdown operation always requires holding on power switch on the case for three seconds, or it won't boot.
I want to know if continuing to use my computer in this way(with the card installed) harms the hardware(start and shutdown frequently every day). I think the WIFI/BT card causes RAM to go some wrong due to some unknown reasons.

I previously used a fv-t919 card which also can cause this problem. Now I changed the card to fv-HB1200 which behaves the same as fv-t919. so maybe these cards are innocent but other hardwares?

following screenshots are made after a fresh install of macOS 15.4, it looks no problem...
Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 10.34.35 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-12 at 10.35.24 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-12 at 10.37.38 AM.png

Back