Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi all

I'm just about to purchase this motherboard. I'm in the UK and I think I've found it on Amazon UK (prefer Amazon due to customer service and Prime for next day delivery)

Can someone please confirm this is the correct motherboard - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07K787FNG/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Thanks.

Hi @CaseySJ,

I had to go through and re-do my installation USB per you instructions again. I missed a couple things. However, I just tried to do a fresh install and did not even reach the Catalina Installer GUI. Here is the output I am getting.

EDIT: When I plug my USB back into my Macbook, the EFI disk is not present anymore. Is this normal?

Attachments

• 31672C63-EA13-4F86-A4CC-18EDBF231E2E.jpeg
    31672C63-EA13-4F86-A4CC-18EDBF231E2E.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
All files Firmwares are identical to the USBC folder from the installer.
Like I already thought. Thanks anyway :)
good to know, however they have different hashes, what causes that?

its starting to look more and more like some of these issues will be more related to motherboard UEFI handling. i hope thats not the case because that might be even more difficult to work out?

Want to make a version of these extracted 49.4 i can test on a GC-TR card?

Maybe the real holy grail will b e a mac firmware with the edits made that resolve port1 to DSB1 and port2 to DSB4 like on the "PC" based firmwares. So close yet still so much to resolve. And then there is windows... ugh

g\

are board last fall because of the detailed instructions for the build and your outstanding support. I've been using this build part-time successful
Hi all

I'm just about to purchase this motherboard. I'm in the UK and I think I've found it on Amazon UK (prefer Amazon due to customer service and Prime for next day delivery)

Can someone please confirm this is the correct motherboard - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07K787FNG/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Thanks.
Yes correct

@NCMacGuy,

Glad to hear it, and if I may be so bold: Thank you for the well-written, grammatically correct post with full sentences, full paragraphs, proper punctuation, and clear language. What a thrill to read something cogent and concise.

Nice to see another Thunderbolt conversion!

Regarding the DisplayPort issue through the WAVLINK dock -- I may be experiencing a similar problem through my Belkin Dock Pro. I recall setting ig-platform-id to 0x3E9B0007 (non-headless) but it didn't make a difference. Will try again...

Just ordered this motherboard!

Quick question - As Gigabyte Z390 Mobo don't support Wi-Fi/Bluetooth m2 cards, my understanding is that I have to use a PCI-E Wifi/BT card, however, when waking the PC from sleep using the Apple Magic Mouse/Apple Bluetooth keyboard, is it quite responsive? As in, does the PC detect the mouse click almost instantly when sleeping or does it take loads of clicks and 30secs/1min for the PC to detect a click? Thanks.

@CaseySJ, could you post a simple diagram of the capacitor and resistor circuit you’re using for the flash. Sorry if it is posted elswhere, I haven’t been able to find it.
Please look at the second spoiler at the top of Post #1. We're consolidating the key guides/mini-guides in those spoilers.

ALMOST 'unbeatable'
Point taken!! Your Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Xtreme may beat the Designare Z390, but it's at least US$500...
Just for the sake of amusement:

I'm paying 20€ and have unlimited calls, SMS, MMS and I think something like 10+ GB Internet throughout the whole EU with the best network provider available in Germany (Telekom)
And to think I was having a good day... :)

good to know, however they have different hashes, what causes that?

its starting to look more and more like some of these issues will be more related to motherboard UEFI handling. i hope thats not the case because that might be even more difficult to work out?

Want to make a version of these extracted 49.4 i can test on a GC-TR card?

Maybe the real holy grail will b e a mac firmware with the edits made that resolve port1 to DSB1 and port2 to DSB4 like on the "PC" based firmwares. So close yet still so much to resolve. And then there is windows... ugh

g\
I finally got a chance to look at the 4 MacPro7,1 Thunderbolt firmware files you were able to extract through Linux. Very interesting stuff...

• First let's compare GPU-LEFT with GPU-RIGHT. The main differences are in Thunderbolt DROM, which starts at byte offset 512. There are other differences further below, but they may be related to digital signature. Let's focus on just the differences here.
  • I believe these are both on-board controllers.
Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 4.18.22 PM.png

• Now let's compare IOCARD with TOP. The main differences once again are in Thunderbolt DROM, which starts at byte offset 512.
Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 4.18.25 PM.png

• Now let's compare GPU-LEFT and TOP. There is a 4-byte difference in the configuration section, which starts at byte offset 0.
Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 4.14.09 PM.png

So it's not the same configuration across all Thunderbolt controllers.

Back