Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Okey found my problem... i downloaded Clover app 5008 instead of normal clover :eek:

Does liquidctl not work?

Looking into the real reason OSX thinks there is a UPS attached.

Turns out it is the Corsair "Commander Pro" (or two in my case) that OSX is picking up as a UPS. I found a few articles that powerd/ioupsd look at the name "Commander Pro" (which is a name of a UPS) and thus the reason all this is happening.

pmset -g batt yields the following:

Now drawing from 'UPS Power'
-Commander PRO (id=21102592) charging present: true
-Commander PRO (id=21102593) charging present: true

I'm worried there's no real (easy) way to deal with this at the OS level. The challenge is that sleep won't work until we can get ioupsd out of the picture.

An easy way would be to hide HS12 but I'm assuming if we did that all of those devices would not be available, correct?

Lam

Just an update on the Hades Canyon NUC and thunderbolt. Out of simple curiosity I took the latest iMac18,3 Alpine Ridge firmware update binary from the Catalina 10.15.4 updater, padded it with 0xFF's until it was exactly 1Mb in size and then flashed it with a programmer to the Thunderbolt chip. Much to my amazement it works 100% apart from one bug which I've had with all the patched firmwares. I have a LaCie 2big Dock (Thunderbolt 3 RAID box) which works fine apart from not powering off completely when I shut the NUC down. The drives spin down, the computer shuts off then right at the very end the drives spin up again. Has anyone else had this powering down problem with their patched firmwares? It powers off properly in Windows with the native thunderbolt firmware (v33)
@CaseySJ attached is the updated v41.4 padded binary to add to the firmware repo if you so desire...

Attachments

• hades414full.bin.zip
    161.3 KB · Views: 86
Using the mini guide for catalina ..
  • When Clover Boot Menu appears, select Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Catalina
  • Follow the onscreen progress and report any issues
When i boot the usb installer.. i got stuck on the apple logo .. the only difference with your setup is i am on 8700k @CaseySJ what can i do?

Last edited:
In this case are you connecting your monitor directly to Thunderbolt Port 1 (this is the port closest to HDMI port)?
Yes, the second port works great aswell (Only with TypeC->DP Adapter, not the dock)

• hat is the make and model of the Dock?
  • For this case, have you unplugged the DP-In cable?

1) Elgato Thunderbolt 3 Dock.
2) DP-In is always connected, otherwise the system crashes.
I believe there is bandwidth issue, do you have a way to make sure there is 40gbps bandwidth? in macOS?

@dgsga: What ssdt do you use with your modified firmware? I want to test this on my MB too. Thanks.

Using the mini guide for catalina ..
  • When Clover Boot Menu appears, select Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Catalina
  • Follow the onscreen progress and report any issues
When i boot the usb installer.. i got stuck on the apple logo .. the only difference with your setup is i am on 8700k @CaseySJ what can i do?
Some questions:
  • Have you unlocked MSR 0xE2?
  • Are BIOS parameters set correctly (according to Post #1)?
  • At the Clover Boot Menu, press spacebar to reveal some options. Use arrow keys to move down to Verbose and press spacebar to toggle it on. When the boot process hangs, please grab a screenshot.

Just an update on the Hades Canyon NUC and thunderbolt. Out of simple curiosity I took the latest iMac18,3 Alpine Ridge firmware update binary from the Catalina 10.15.4 updater, padded it with 0xFF's until it was exactly 1Mb in size and then flashed it with a programmer to the Thunderbolt chip. Much to my amazement it works 100% apart from one bug which I've had with all the patched firmwares. I have a LaCie 2big Dock (Thunderbolt 3 RAID box) which works fine apart from not powering off completely when I shut the NUC down. The drives spin down, the computer shuts off then right at the very end the drives spin up again. Has anyone else had this powering down problem with their patched firmwares? It powers off properly in Windows with the native thunderbolt firmware (v33)
@CaseySJ attached is the updated v41.4 padded binary to add to the firmware repo if you so desire...
I can add this to the Repository as a second option for the NUC. Is it better in all respects than the current firmware in the Repository?

Also please note that the NUC Hades Canyon has a TI TPS65982 power delivery chip, but the firmware in this file (from iMac18,3) contains firmware for the TPS65983 chip. This may cause issues.

Last edited:
Yes, the second port works great aswell (Only with TypeC->DP Adapter, not the dock)

1) Elgato Thunderbolt 3 Dock.
2) DP-In is always connected, otherwise the system crashes.
I believe there is bandwidth issue, do you have a way to make sure there is 40gbps bandwidth? in macOS?
Please post a screenshot of System Information --> Graphics/Displays for this particular configuration. Are you connecting your monitor to the Thunderbolt port on the Dock or to the DisplayPort receptacle on the Dock?

Are you running the original Thunderbolt firmware or have you flashed the modified firmware?

Back