Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Any tips for @augustopaulo when he resumes this in the morning?

I will say I think this would be far more difficult (or impossible) to do this with one of those cheap spi programmers.
I think the ability to pull the individual pin from the Raspberry Pi was critical.

@Elias64Fr @CaseySJ

I never got around to flashing 43 onto my Titan ridge AIC, but I did do 23, it did some things right but sleep with EGPU generally resulted with no EGPU after sleep. It also did not like to be plugged in at boot. So after some tests I decided to put designare rom onto my Titan AIC. So far much better then 23 or even DSM2.

I would also like to add reading the Titan AIC is much harder than reading the Alpine AIC.

Lastly if the THB_C cable was hooked up sleep would wake up instantly.

Guess I spoke to soon the eGPU still funky.

Last edited:
@jb007

Is the board repairable? If not, sorry to hear about the damage. If it’s any consolation, I’ve spent hundreds on test benches, docks, eGPU, and even the RX 5700 XT only because these items were needed for the “general good of the community”.

If your board is truly irreparable, we respect that it went out in the line of duty...
@CaseySJ
It might be, as the pads that are missing damaged are either low speed I/O or ground. Problem is tracing where to connect the patch wires to. Everything is a lot more difficult when you are dealing with tiny SMD devices.

I have ordered a new board as I want to stick with the Designare for my main rig and use my X570 as an unraid server.

If I can repair the Designare I might donate it to a friend who has a charity for cat rescue and badly needs an updated Mac. I have fixed her old MacBook Pros so many times in the last year I’m getting nightmares from the experience! Cat urine and circuit boards are not a nice thing to work on and repair!

And I don’t feel bad that I possibly have destroyed the Designare, just a little embarrassed. But I’m glad that it has possibly helped in the quest for the ‘holy grail‘.

I look forward to trying out the patches when my new board arrives.

And thank you for all of your hard work in this forum and in particular this thread, I know from personal experience the amount of time it takes to support users as well as trying to have a ‘life’. Much appreciated!

@scottkendall In which way does the designare firmware behave better than the ones you mentioned?
Reading and writing Titan Ridge works in my case most of the time on the first try but I modified my header a little bit.
@Elias64Fr will try the new 43 asap.

Last edited:
@scottkendall In which way does the designare firmware behave better than the ones you mentioned?

Reading and writing Titan Ridge works in my case most of the time on the first try but I modified my header a little bit.

@Elias64Fr will try the new 43 asap.

Well I do not have USB from the DSM2 firmware, the 23 did not sleep with the eGPU. I thought the Designare fixed both of those issues but alas it was only the USB the eGPU still has some odd behaviors regarding sleep and booting.

@CaseySJ should modified a SSDT for boards without TITAN RIDGE onboard
Thanks

@galisrule

@CaseySJ and @Elias64Fr Already did that, you just have to look better the last couple of pages.

Also its necessary to adapt the ssdt for the slot used in your computer via MaciASL.
To check the path you have to work with ioRegistryExplorer

I tried the SSDT's this is what am getting in system report Thunderbolt Bus 2:

Hello! I have some issues with Radeon VII on Z390 Designare in Catalina. It seems only one DP is working. I have followed the mini guide but still nothing. I have Lilu and Whatevergreen installed, too. Thank you for your help .

Yes, please use the Raspberry Pi... Good night!
Success in reading my Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme onboard TB3 chip!!:headbang:

Only worked with my RPi 4B by following your ** Mini-Guide for Flashing SPI ROM Chips using Raspberry Pi 3B and 4 **, no lights come on on the motherboard while connecting or reading.

The checksum was the same on all 3 reading attempts:
Captura de ecrã 2020-03-16, às 08.20.46.png

My "wiring" setup:
IMG_2100.JPG

And finally, please find my onboard TB3 EEPROM for your to please change the "magic" 7 bytes on it and then send it back for me to write it back!! :mrgreen:

Attachments

• test1.bin.zip
    262.9 KB · Views: 119
Back