Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Ok i will go do that now. How do I access the documents folder if I can't boot / login to get the files?
Sorry -- because you're booting the Recovery disk, the Terminal commands change to this:
  • ls -l /System/Library/Extensions > /tmp/sle.txt
  • ls -l /Library/Extensions > /tmp/le.txt
This will create the two files in the /tmp folder. I have not tested this, but if it fails, just remove "/tmp" and try again. Then the files will be in the "/" (root) folder.

You can then insert a USB flash disk. It will then appear in /Volumes/<name-of-USB-disk>. If the USB is named "MacOS", for example, then it will appear here: /Volumes/MacOS.

Now copy the two text files to the USB flash disk from Terminal:
  • cp sle.txt /Volumes/MacOS/
  • cp le.txt /Volumes/MacOS/
You can then insert the USB flash disk into another working computer and upload the files. If the USB disk was formatted as FAT32 then Windows can also read the disk. But if its a MacOS format then another Mac will be needed.
Ok will try that now!

This is very peculiar. I wonder if there are some extra kexts in your /Library/Extensions folder that are interfering with VirtualSMC. Feel free to post a screenshot of the files in that folder.

Hi,
Thanks, I will do that tomorrow, it’s 10 pm locally and after a day of testing....

I couldn't wait till tomorrow, see attachment, current /L/E.

I did do the boot with verbose and it stops at HID: legacy shim 2. Any ideas what changing the Fake files to SMC causing this? I googled a bit and some posts refer to usb drivers? Everything works fine as far as I can tell.

Best regards

Attachments

• Contents :L:E.png
    Contents :L:E.png
    651 KB · Views: 57
Ok will try that now!
When
Sorry -- because you're booting the Recovery disk, the Terminal commands change to this:
  • ls -l /System/Library/Extensions > /tmp/sle.txt
  • ls -l /Library/Extensions > /tmp/le.txt
This will create the two files in the /tmp folder. I have not tested this, but if it fails, just remove "/tmp" and try again. Then the files will be in the "/" (root) folder.

You can then insert a USB flash disk. It will then appear in /Volumes/<name-of-USB-disk>. If the USB is named "MacOS", for example, then it will appear here: /Volumes/MacOS.

Now copy the two text files to the USB flash disk from Terminal:
  • cp sle.txt /Volumes/MacOS/
  • cp le.txt /Volumes/MacOS/
You can then insert the USB flash disk into another working computer and upload the files. If the USB disk was formatted as FAT32 then Windows can also read the disk. But if its a MacOS format then another Mac will be needed.
When I try it, it does nothing with the /tmp but when I remove that it says the following:

sle.txt: Read-only file system
le.txt: Read-only file system

I've subsequently tried to copy them and it copies nothing. I do have the pictures of what I believe are the file lists you want the txt file of. Don't know if that helps?

Last edited:
When

• When I try it, it does nothing with the /tmp but when I remove that it says the following:

I've subsequently tried to copy them and it copies nothing. I do have the pictures of what I believe are the file lists you want the txt file of. Don't know if that helps?
After inserting the USB flash disk and determining its name, we can also do this:
  • ls -l /System/Library/Extensions > /Volumes/Name-of-USB-Disk/sle.txt
  • ls -l /Library/Extensions > /Volumes/Name-of-USB-Disk/le.txt
Replace "Name-of-USB-Disk" with actual name. If that name contains spaces, wrap the entire name in quotes. For example, if USB name is "USB Disk" we would use:

... /Volumes/"USB Disk"/sle.txt
... /Volumes/"USB Disk"/le.txt

P.S. The problem with your system is not in the EFI folder, but in macOS itself. So reinstalling the EFI folder or Clover will not help.

I couldn't wait till tomorrow, see attachment, current /L/E.

I did do the boot with verbose and it stops at HID: legacy shim 2. Any ideas what changing the Fake files to SMC causing this? I googled a bit and some posts refer to usb drivers? Everything works fine as far as I can tell.

Best regards
The two suspicious kexts seems to be:
  • RDUSB01D8Dev.kext
  • L6Helix.kext
Remember that switching to VirtualSMC is not necessary. But if you are still curious, you may try removing both of the above kexts (then run Kext Utility) and try booting the system. In other words, it becomes an exercise in Process of Elimination.

When

When I try it, it does nothing with the /tmp but when I remove that it says the following:

just speculating, but the command may be trying to write to the System partition which in Catalina is read-only. from the command line try typing
mount -uw /

then re-try the commands Casey suggested

Here's the mini...no, micro...guide for switching from FakeSMC to VirtualSMC for Mojave users only:
  • Download VirtualSMC 1.0.9. This will include kexts and an EFI driver.
  • Delete the following from the Mojave SSD:
    • From /Library/Extensions:
      • FakeSMC.kext
      • FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext
      • FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext
      • FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext
      • FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext
      • FakeSMC_SMMSensors.kext
    • From EFI Partition: CLOVER/kexts/Other:
      • FakeSMC.kext
      • And any of the "Sensors" kexts that might exist there
    • From EFI Partition: CLOVER/drivers/UEFI (or CLOVER/drivers64UEFI):
      • SMCHelper.efi (or SMCHelper-64.efi)
  • Empty the trash.
  • Copy these VirtualSMC files:
    • To /Library/Extensions:
      • VirtualSMC.kext
      • SMCProcessor.kext
      • SMCSuperIO.kext
    • To EFI Partition: CLOVER/kexts/Other:
      • VirtualSMC.kext
      • SMCProcessor.kext
      • SMCSuperIO.kext
    • To EFI Partition: CLOVER/drivers/UEFI (or CLOVER/drivers64UEFI):
      • VirtualSmc.efi
  • Now run Kext Utility to rebuild the kernel cache.
  • Reboot.
If you have upgraded from Clover 4xxx to Clover 5xxx, make sure that the old CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder is deleted.

Hi Casey,

I've read on some TonyMacx86 forum that one should either run kexts from EFI or from L/E but not from both. The exception being the lone (Virtual)SMC kext in EFI if one is running kexts from L/E. But maybe it's okay to have both as long as your Clover is set to Detect rather than Yes. I run the hack-build kexts only from the EFI:

EFI-based kexts and drivers.png

Last edited:
When

I've subsequently tried to copy them and it copies nothing.
After inserting the USB flash disk and determining its name, we can also do this:
  • ls -l /System/Library/Extensions > /Volumes/Name-of-USB-Disk/sle.txt
  • ls -l /Library/Extensions > /Volumes/Name-of-USB-Disk/le.txt
Replace "Name-of-USB-Disk" with actual name. If that name contains spaces, wrap the entire name in quotes. For example, if USB name is "USB Disk" we would use:

... /Volumes/"USB Disk"/sle.txt
... /Volumes/"USB Disk"/le.txt

P.S. The problem with your system is not in the EFI folder, but in macOS itself. So reinstalling the EFI folder or Clover will not help.

Here you go.. the new command worked! And understood!

Attachments

• le.txt
    13.2 KB · Views: 86
  • sle.txt
    13.2 KB · Views: 92
just speculating, but the command may be trying to write to the System partition which in Catalina is read-only. from the command line try typing
mount -uw /

then re-try the commands Casey suggested
Thanks for your help! I tried Casey's other line to plug into terminal and it worked!

Here you go.. the new command worked! And understood!
Oops, both your files have the same content. I have /System/Library/Extensions, but not /Library/Extensions.

Back