Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

And when I reboot with my external backup ssd connected and press F12 I get the circle with the line across on the screen..

If I don't select boot from Mojave backup and select Boot Filevault Prebooter from Preboot I can boot from the external ssd and restore my latest backup image and copy back the EFI files and I'm up and running.
What does this say, a circle with a line when I try to boot like normal from the external ssd but with this option I can?

It was able to find the right volume now. However it still didn't seem to work.. After doing the command I tried rebooting to get the same problem ultimately. I just redid the command in terminal to take a picture - please see attached. Thanks!
There seem to be at least 3 non-Apple extensions in /System/Library/Extensions:
  • Yamaha
  • CalDigit
  • Akai

Do you know how they got there? Was “Migration Assistant” used to migrate an old system?

If I don't select boot from Mojave backup and select Boot Filevault Prebooter from Preboot I can boot from the external ssd and restore my latest backup image and copy back the EFI files and I'm up and running.
What does this say, a circle with a line when I try to boot like normal from the external ssd but with this option I can?
This is very peculiar. I wonder if there are some extra kexts in your /Library/Extensions folder that are interfering with VirtualSMC. Feel free to post a screenshot of the files in that folder.

This is very peculiar. I wonder if there are some extra kexts in your /Library/Extensions folder that are interfering with VirtualSMC. Feel free to post a screenshot of the files in that folder.
Hi,
Thanks, I will do that tomorrow, it’s 10 pm locally and after a day of testing....

There seem to be at least 3 non-Apple extensions in /System/Library/Extensions:
  • Yamaha
  • CalDigit
  • Akai

Do you know how they got there? Was “Migration Assistant” used to migrate an old system?
Yessir, migration assistant was used to migrate an old system. Is there a way to remove those files now though I don't have access to the computer as I most definitely don't need them? Perhaps I can bypass them in Terminal somehow, and then repair the Kexts? Unless thats not the only issue?

Another thought is maybe I add another M2 drive and boot in, then go and delete these files in the sytsem/library/extensions?

Last edited:
That sounds like a memory allocation error. If you turn on verbose mode using "-v" in your boot args you should be able to see it. Also, you can try disabling the iGPU in your bios. If you're able to boot, then probably a memory allocation issue.
Ok got the problem solved, corrupted EFI, all good now, mini guide worked perfectly, thanks so much!

Yessir, migration assistant was used to migrate an old system. Is there a way to remove those files now though I don't have access to the computer as I most definitely don't need them? My thought is maybe I add another M2 drive and boot in, then go and delete these files in the sytsem/library/extensions?
Let's start by looking at all the files in /S/L/E and /L/E. Type the following in Terminal:
  • ls -l /System/Library/Extensions > ~/Documents/sle.txt
  • ls -l /Library/Extensions > ~/Documents/le.txt
This will generate two files in your Documents folder called:
  • sle.txt
  • le.txt
Please upload the two files.

Let's start by looking at all the files in /S/L/E and /L/E. Type the following in Terminal:
  • ls -l /System/Library/Extensions > ~/Documents/sle.txt
  • ls -l /Library/Extensions > ~/Documents/le.txt
This will generate two files in your Documents folder called:
  • sle.txt
  • le.txt
Please upload the two files.
I just tried to do that now, and I am getting the response:

/var/root/Documents/le.txt: No such file or directory
/var/root/Documents/sle.txt: No such file or directory

If you still need the txt files, how should I access the documents folder if I can't boot / login to get the files?

I was able to get finder to show the /S/L/E and the /L/E if this is helpful.. Please see attached.

Attachments

• IMG_7734.jpg
    IMG_7734.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7735.jpg
    IMG_7735.jpg
    9.2 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I just tried to do that now, and I am getting the response:

/var/root/Documents/le.txt: No such file or directory
/var/root/Documents/sle.txt: No such file or directory

Also how do I access the documents folder if I can't boot / login to get the files?
Sorry -- because you're booting the Recovery disk, the Terminal commands change to this:
  • ls -l /System/Library/Extensions > /tmp/sle.txt
  • ls -l /Library/Extensions > /tmp/le.txt
This will create the two files in the /tmp folder. I have not tested this, but if it fails, just remove "/tmp" and try again. Then the files will be in the "/" (root) folder.

You can then insert a USB flash disk. It will then appear in /Volumes/<name-of-USB-disk>. If the USB is named "MacOS", for example, then it will appear here: /Volumes/MacOS.

Now copy the two text files to the USB flash disk from Terminal:
  • cp sle.txt /Volumes/MacOS/
  • cp le.txt /Volumes/MacOS/
You can then insert the USB flash disk into another working computer and upload the files. If the USB disk was formatted as FAT32 then Windows can also read the disk. But if its a MacOS format then another Mac will be needed.

Back