Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Done and now everything works.

Let me get on that backup, but I know for a fact that 10.15.3 update didn't work before all this ordeal.

And my original problem is still there, no sound is output to my speakers.

No audio devices in the About This Mac.

1581468247928.png

I run the RX 5700XT on Windows and it doesn't have issues. No PSU issue.

Unfortunately, there are a few of us (myself included) who are continuing to have problems with stability and are experiencing hard locks/freezes on our systems with the RX 5700 XT cards.

Despite replacing the ram in my system with brand new sticks, removing all files in the ~/Pictures folder, and even as of last night, installing 10.15.4 Beta 1 - they are are still plaguing me.

@Elias64Fr,

Attached are three LSPCI dumps:
  • DarwinDumper_3.0.4_With_TB3_Apple_ICM_Controlled.zip
    • This is generated using standard SSDT that runs in ICM mode.
    • In this case, TB3 devices operate successfully and can hot-plug successfully.
  • DarwinDumper_3.0.4_With_TB3_TbtOnPch_1.zip
    • This is generated using our SSDT-TbtOnPch.
    • TB3 device was connected, but not functional.
    • No TNODE/TBUS.
  • DarwinDumper_3.0.4_With_TB3_TbtOnPch_2.zip
    • This is generated using our SSDT-TbtOnPch.
    • TB3 device was connected, but not functional.
    • TNODE/TBUS activated.

Attachments

• DarwinDumper_3.0.4_With_TB3_Apple_ICM_Controlled.zip
    18.4 KB · Views: 62
  • DarwinDumper_3.0.4_With_TB3_TbtOnPch_1.zip
    16.9 KB · Views: 53
  • DarwinDumper_3.0.4_With_TB3_TbtOnPch_2.zip
    15.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Thanks

Last edited:
Holy moly! There was a library! BUT I never even opened Photos. Not even once.
The installation is new; the user is new.
I deleted it, and emptied the trash.

Valley and Export windows in Final Cut Pro still reboots.
Unfortunately, there are a few of us (myself included) who are continuing to have problems with stability and are experiencing hard locks/freezes on our systems with the RX 5700 XT cards.

Despite replacing the ram in my system with brand new sticks, removing all files in the ~/Pictures folder, and even as of last night, installing 10.15.4 Beta 1 - they are are still plaguing me.
Some suggestions:
  • Use Boot Argument shikigva=80 and reboot. Does the system still crash/reboot?
  • Enable NVRAM so macOS can try and preserve the kernel panic information and display it on the next startup.
  • If you have a bootable backup, please see if the crashes occur when booting off the backup.
  • You may also attempt the Process of Elimination by performing a fresh installation of Catalina on a spare SSD and then installing/testing one app at a time to see if random crashes still occur.

And my original problem is still there, no sound is output to my speakers.

No audio devices in the About This Mac.

View attachment 449403
If you're planning to upgrade to Catalina soon, then don't worry about this missing internal audio. Make sure Mojave is otherwise stable, make a bootable backup, and then upgrade to Catalina. Then see if audio is still a problem.

Some suggestions:
  • Use Boot Argument shikigva=80 and reboot. Does the system still crash/reboot?
  • Enable NVRAM so macOS can try and preserve the kernel panic information and display it on the next startup.
  • If you have a bootable backup, please see if the crashes occur when booting off the backup.
  • You may also attempt the Process of Elimination by performing a fresh installation of Catalina on a spare SSD and then installing/testing one app at a time to see if random crashes still occur.

- I think I've tried that shikigva value already, and ultimately ended up removing it completely. I have just tried switching over to your OpenCore setup (stock config) to see if that helps the issue at all. If it doesn't, I'll try 80 with it and see if that helps (unless you think I should just put 80 in it right now?).

- Native NVRam is enabled - but, I haven't been able to get any useful information back. The thing that's making this difficult is I'm not getting Kernel Panics. I'll generally be working in Ableton or on Chrome, and suddenly, the system just stops responding to user input. Audio/music I have playing continues playing, but it's almost like the mouse and keyboard just stop working. It's either that, or perhaps they are still working (as is the rest of the system), but the video card stops refreshing the screen? I don't know what it is at this point, but the system doesn't just hard-lock and stop working entirely. It seems to stops responding to input, and I have to manually reboot the computer. Upon rebooting, I haven't been able to find anything useful in Console. I'll try leaving it sit for a few minutes the next time I see it lock up to see if it does ultimately result in a Kernel Panic though, as I agree, that information would be helpful.

- Beyond that - New motherboard. New ram. New video card. New fresh install. This is a very purpose built system for audio production. There are not many programs beyond Ableton. It's intentionally lean to keep it light and keep problems at bay. I can attest to the hardware otherwise being stable under Windows when running games though, as it is a dual-boot system.

I think the real question is what I pointed out in my 2nd bulletpoint - is the system actually locking up, is the video card not refreshing the screen, or is the USB system dropping the keyboard/mouse out? If we can answer that, we might be able to shed some light on the actual issue.

Last edited:
If you're planning to upgrade to Catalina soon, then don't worry about this missing internal audio. Make sure Mojave is otherwise stable, make a bootable backup, and then upgrade to Catalina. Then see if audio is still a problem.

I am already on Catalina, just trying to get to the latest version 10.15.3.

My CCC backup was complete, tried the upgrade and it seems to fail midway. The computer reboots and the upgrade still shows as available.

- I think I've tried that shikigva value already, and ultimately ended up removing it completely. I have just tried switching over to your OpenCore setup (stock config) to see if that helps the issue at all. If it doesn't, I'll try 80 with it and see if that helps (unless you think I should just put 80 in it right now?).
I think the real question is what I pointed out in my 2nd bulletpoint - is the system actually locking up, is the video card not refreshing the screen, or is the USB system dropping the keyboard/mouse out? If we can answer that, we might be able to shed some light on the actual issue.

I had similar issues. Lockups with no crash logs. Leaving activity monitor open I could see one core get pegged to 100% and mouse became sluggish. Sleeping the system or Killall dock in terminal would recover from the hang (on resume from sleep). Looked at tons of logs and diagnostics and never could find the issue. Seems like a hardware problem. The only cure I have found is to not use the XMP profile and to downclock the ram to 2666. Since doing that I have uptimes in the range of 5-10 days vs 4-12 hours between hangs. Performance hit is minimal.

Back