Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Please forgive my delayed reply. I'm running vF8. I don't have Windows to check/update the ssd's firmware. Any pointers would be much appreciated!

You can update directly from a USB install drive, Linux based. See the firmware installation guide HERE

Some other factors:
  • Apple Watch must be registered to the same iCloud account as the iPhone and the Hackintosh.
  • iCloud must also be enabled on the Hackintosh.
Does the option to unlock with Apple Watch appear in System Preferences --> Security & Privacy --> General? Or does that option appear, but fails to activate?

I only have one iCloud account and that includes all my devices (iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch and my Hack).

The option does not appear in System Preferences --> Security & Privacy --> General, although under Wi-Fi in "System Information" it says "Auto Unlock: Supported".

Thanks for asking. This could be a FAQ for others...

Correct. We can skip all the preliminary steps and jump directly to Modifying the Firmware.

Those differences do not matter, but as a general rule it's always preferred to follow the Mini-Guide exactly.

This procedure has been tested many times without failure so it's quite safe. But if someone makes a typo by accidentally entering a different VarOffset, it could produce unforeseen consequences. Also, because this modifies Gigabyte's official firmware, we want to make sure we provide enough warnings so each person can decide for themselves whether or not to proceed.

Yes. Once we know the VarOffset, the procedure becomes rather trivial.

Hi,
Thanks again, piece of cake, took me about 10 minutes ->

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-02-06 at 21.46.24.png
    Screenshot 2020-02-06 at 21.46.24.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 67
UPDATED POST WITH LATEST FINDINGS:

OC 0.5.5
iMac 19,1
Shikigva=80 in boot-args

So in the last days I've been playing around with BIOS Internal Graphics setting and FCPX usage. Got some pretty interesting results with insane differences in render times. Check out the following:

Internal Graphics Disabled: 2:39 export time
Internal Graphics Auto: 2:39 export time
Internal Graphics Enabled: 0:38 export time

Yes! Having Internal Graphics Enabled in BIOS my export time was more than 4 x faster!!

All testing was done using a 45 second 4k clip.
H.264 Better Quality, 4k export.
Added an Aged Paper filter.
Background Render OFF, before each test I deleted all Generated Event Media.
Each test was run 3 times in a row producing IDENTICAL results so I'm pretty sure about the results.

Last edited:
I only have one iCloud account and that includes all my devices (iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch and my Hack).

The option does not appear in System Preferences --> Security & Privacy --> General, although under Wi-Fi in "System Information" it says "Auto Unlock: Supported".
There are a couple more suggestions in the article below from Apple. In particular, scroll down to How to set up Auto Unlock.

**Mini-Guide for Direct Installation of Catalina 10.15.1 and Newer **
UPDATED 15-Dec-2019
If you have an RX 5700 XT made by
MSI, it might not work with this guide so please follow the previous guide (click here). All other brands of RX 5700 / 5700 XT can follow the guide below.
** Please do not quote this guide in any post -- use a link instead **

Followed this quick and awesome tutorial for a clean install of Catalina. Went super well and I was able to boot on Catalina and start installing everything. But on next reboot I got the infamous « Couldn't allocate runtime area. » It appears that I still have to disable the internal GPU in the bios if I want to be able to boot...
What did I miss? Thanks a lot!

Hi Casey,
I'm sorry I have been occupied with other things and have had to step away from tinkering for a bit. Hoping to get back to testing mid next week. Because I have stepped away, I might not be totally up to speed on my groups tests either.

However my understanding is that native TB3 has never worked without flashing the TB3 controller firmware. We have only done this on the add-in cards. But as long as you can actually successfully flash it, I don't think it should matter if the controller is onboard or on a card. and to that end I am attaching the patched TTR firmware. To my knowledge this is still the version we are using. This is not an apple ROM extract, its an an already patched TTR firmware with the needed parts from Apple already patched in. I think this is a version 35 firmware, FWIW. But, because it totally replaces the original firmware, the version shouldn't matter. And again, while this is only part of the puzzle. One of our smart dev guys has gotten this already working quite well on some boards with add-on cards and is really just working out broader compatibility and trying to fix any bugs we find. Also this work was all based on the work done by OSY and even with some of his assistance in parts.

g\
Hello @genzai,

Thank you very much for the patched ROM! Some quick comments:
  • After looking at the binary contents, I can see that it's from GC-Titan Ridge by Gigabyte, so that's a huge plus!
  • Byte offset 0x0A from 0x04000 is 0x23, which in decimal is 35.
  • However, we have found that the version number should not be converted to decimal. In other words, if the byte at address 0400A is 23 then the version is 23.
  • Please see the following screenshots:
    Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 1.43.52 PM.png
  • Below is the one from Gigabyte Designare Z390. Notice that the Designare has firmware 33.
    Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 1.45.33 PM.png
  • Are you sure the original firmware on the GC-Titan Ridge says 23?
  • I actually have a GC-Titan Ridge so I can read the TTR ROM chip myself and compare.
Some key questions:
  • When using the modified firmware, do you see Thunderbolt Local Node and Thunderbolt Bus?
    • If so, do they work?
    • Can you attach Thunderbolt devices?
  • Did you also need a modified Thunderbolt SSDT?
    • Or is it sufficient to just patch the TTR firmware?
  • What specific problems are you seeing with the patched TTR firmware?

Ha! LOL!

Been there, done that! The reason that (a) TbtForcePower and (b) ThunderboltReset are not needed is because the modified SSDT is actually performing both operations successfully every single time!
  • In BIOS we have disabled GPIO3 Force Power.
  • The SSDT uses the motherboard's Thunderbolt Power Gate registers to activate the Thunderbolt root port. This succeeds every time. This is done in the ICMB() method.
  • The SSDT also resets the Thunderbolt ICM (Intel Connection Manager) by writing a "1" to REG_FW_STS's ICM_EN_INVERT and ICM_EN_CPU bit fields. This is done in the ICMS() method.

Thank you! This can be enormously helpful.

Hi Casey. Can you upload the SSDT that is implementing the ICMB method? I took a look at your TB3HP-V4 SSDT, but there are no hits for ICMB. I would like to port this for some other motherboards that do not have GPIO3 Force Pwr options in the BIOS.

I'm running Osy's firmware on several motherboards via both PCH and PCIe TB3 cards with success aside from a few bugs.

As an aside, I attempted to flash the Z390 Designare's onboard TB3 controller with a modified firmware, but was unable to as the SPI Flasher would never read the Winbond chip. The X299X Designare had the same issue, while PCIe cards are always flashable, as was the ASUS X299 Deluxe II.

Back