Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I appear to already have a config.plist, do I need to delete this one?

Thanks
Andy
If you're doing a fresh install, then yes, the default config.plist should be deleted and replaced with one of the two alternatives provided in the Catalina Mini-Guide ZIP file.

An important thing to note is that once fan and pump speeds are set, they are static and do not vary as CPU temps rise and fall. On Windows, NZXT's CAM software monitors CPU temps and adjusts fan and pump speeds dynamically.

Was thinking about this.
In my tests, the fan speeds did not seem 'static'.
I did notice that the fan speeds adjusted, rising and falling, but it WAS much slower than in windows.
I suspected that the fan speeds were adjusting based on the FLUID temps rather than the CPU temps.
Is that an accurate assessment?

@CaseySJ , what was the conclusion of the work yourself and others have been doing on the Titan Ridge firmware updates, have you written anything up on it with conclusions etc....
My favorite topic...
  • The work is still actively ongoing.
  • Instead of fiddling in the dark, I've been reading and re-reading Osy86's article on the internet (Osy86 is also a contributor to WhateverGreen). Now I have a much better understanding of the SSDT.
  • I've been introducing small changes to the SSDT and observing their outcomes. This cause-and-effect strategy is designed to provide more insight.
  • I can activate Thunderbolt Local Node and Thunderbolt Bus over and over and over again, but that alone is not sufficient. There are system crashes, hot-plug issues, cold boot issues, etc. The cause of this appears to be:
    • Improper initialization of UPSB and/or NHI0
    • Improper deactivation of Thunderbolt ICM
  • My intention is to work silently on this for a few more days and then provide a more general update.

I'm watching your and elias64fr's efforts out of academic interest since the Aorus Pro doesn't have TB. anyway, I did some googling looking for a firmware version in the range you specified. this screenshot would lead me to believe that intel's TB driver update for NUC boxes might contain ver 34. the package is Intel Thunderbolt Software 17.4.77.400 and it is on intel's downloadcenter website.

update: more googling. this file is on intel's downloadcenter website. it appears to have v33 firmware in it. (second screen shot)

NUC715BN-NUC7i7BN-TBT-FW-Update-33.zip
Thank you for that!

Because Designare Z390 has Thunderbolt firmware 33, we're looking for an Apple Titan Ridge firmware file that is as close to version 33 as possible. Alas we cannot use Intel's file or anyone else's. We have to keep the Z390 firmware even though it's an old version. But we need to patch a few bytes of that firmware to better match Apple's firmware.

@CaseySJ, does this post also apply to eGPU? If so, could you pls post a link to the "slightly adapted version of KGP's SSDT-TB3HP"? Thanks.
eGPUs currently work only under these circumstances:
  • Remove the Thunderbolt hot-plug SSDT from the ACPI folder.
  • In BIOS, enable CSM Support.
  • Connect eGPU ahead of time and power it on ahead of time.
  • Then boot macOS.
  • You will lose hot-plug capability, but eGPU should work.
  • The eGPU connect/disconnect icon in the menu bar will not work.
This is another reason why we're working on Thunderbolt Bus and Thunderbolt Local Node.

Last edited:
OC 0.5.5 running 100% stable up to now, just a couple of smallish issues I’m gonna try solve:

1) When I shutdown my PC, my MetricHalo audio interface stays connected (as indicated by the led on the device itself). @zipb you have a similar interface, have you also run into this issue?
2) On first boot I’ve noticed the first time I open Logic Pro, it’s boot time and first couple plugins loaded take a bit more time than expected. If I close Logic completely and reopen it’s blazing fast. Is this normal? (Also happens with FCPX)
3) Since I installed macOS and did the settings in my BIOS, I’m unable to see the SSD I’ve installed windows on my BIOS. So I also can’t boot from it anymore. Maybe CSM off is the culprit?
Do you mean that the SSD is not seen inside of BIOS Setup (not the BIOS Boot Menu)?
4) How do I stop seeing the verbose text in the side of the Apple logo since it’s now up and running? I have installed @CaseySJ OC standard package and updated to 0.5.5 using release version.
Please see this, posted yesterday:
5) OSX is installed in a Samsung 970 EVO PLUS, however a black magic speed test shows 2.9 gb/s write/read. Is this expected since advertised speeds are supposed to be at 3.5 gb/s? (Bought recently and was already on latest firmware)
That sound's about right.
6) couple of my USB ports are not working (for example the two usb3 ports in front on my Define R5 case). Seemed odd since I’m using @CaseySJ custom SSDT for the specific case. Maybe I missed a step?
The standard USB SSDT (SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml) may not be best suited for the Fractal Design case. Please see Post #1 and search that page (using your browser's "search" function) for "Fractal Design". You'll find a different USB SSDT. Only one USB SSDT can be used at a time, so it will be necessary to move or delete the current one.

Does this mean that the newer trio of files did not work, namely:
  • OcQuirks.efi
  • OcQuirks.plist
  • FwRuntimeServices.efi
But the previous duo of files worked?
  • OcQuirks-4.efi
  • FwRuntimeServices.efi
They didn't appear to, although I can't guarantee 100% I didn't make a mistake elsewhere
The original Duo of files work perfectly
Note! - This is a Clover install, not open core

Was thinking about this.
In my tests, the fan speeds did not seem 'static'.
I did notice that the fan speeds adjusted, rising and falling, but it WAS much slower than in windows.
I suspected that the fan speeds were adjusting based on the FLUID temps rather than the CPU temps.
Is that an accurate assessment?
Yes that's right because liquidctl allows profiles to be defined using temperature-duty pairs. For example:

# liquidctl set fan speed 20 30 30 50 34 80 40 90 50 100

...means:
  • If temp is <= 20C, set fans to 30% duty cycle (i.e. 30% of their max RPM)
  • If temp is <= 30C, set fans to 50% duty cycle
  • If temp is <= 34C, set fans to 40%
  • If temp is <= 40C, set fans to 90%
  • If temp is <= 50C, set fans to 100%
But yoda is more...shall we say...Jedi-like in its dexterity.

Hey guys, been extremely busy with work for the last few weeks, so virtually no hacking for me :( but now have some time to get back to it... As some of you have noticed, the "LastBootedVolume" in Clover's Boot option isn't working. (Iit just sits at the boot screen and you have to manually choose.) I had been doing some testing on this before work interrupted, and it (from Clover's debug logs) seems to be a problem with NVRAM. Mainly, if I remove emuvariable, Clover will boot the last booted volume, but of course, since emuvariable is required for the mem fix drivers, this presents a problem...

Before I tweak and test further, has enabling RC scripts fixed this issue for you guys? I remember having it installed the first time around, and it made no difference, but that was an earlier Clover version... Or does anyone have any other possible workarounds for this? As I've got multiple OS installed, using LastBootedVolume was a convenience. lol

Have you found the solution?

Back