Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I am going to try a 580 and see what happens, I just find it hard to believe that so many others have got their 5700 working fine on Catalina. What’s the secret? Haha.

On the bright side, looks like @CaseySJ and team are making great progress with the Thunderbolt 3 firmware/SSDT!

Thats a bummer to hear, hopefully it will be fixed in future macOS updates. I am on a Radeon VII and it's working with no issues, but AMD is supposedly not staying with this model. Not sure what my next GPU will be.

@FormerUser-50757

My main system with Catalina 10.15.2 and PowerColor Red Dragon RX 5700 XT is rock solid. And the test bench I built yesterday with an RX 580 and Catalina 10.15.2 (installed from scratch using the Catalina Mini-Guide) is also rock solid -- in fact it seems more tolerant of my Thunderbolt escapades than the primary system. For example, I don't lose network devices when Thunderbolt Local Node appears.

Anyway, as I've mentioned to others several times, often we must (a) Simply the Setup and (b) Use the Process of Elimination when faced with an intractable problem such as this.

In your case:
  • Simplify the Setup:
    • Is the system reliable with just one monitor?
    • Are there any non-"essential" devices connected? If so, disconnect everything but the essential devices.
  • Process of Elimination:
    • Is the system reliable right after a fresh install?
      • This means: Do not rush to install your third-party applications. Just test the system for a couple of days with the basic apps that accompany Catalina.
    • If basic system is reliable, then install one "major" third-party app at a time and check for system stability.
    • If basic system is not reliable, then we must begin to isolate components.
      • Certainly, the graphics card can be an issue.
    • If you suspect GPU, try with iGPU only (physically remove AMD GPU).
      • This means setting Platform ID to 0x3E9B0007 and preferably using a USB-C to DisplayPort cable to connect either of the two Thunderbolt/USB-C ports to a DisplayPort input on the monitor.
      • Again, connect only one monitor.
Interesting, and frustrating at the same time That yours is rock solid.

I do have a lot of things plugged into this machine. I’ve been using 1 application (Cubase 10.5) almost exclusively over the past few weeks (trying to catch up on work), and it’s a relatively new update, so I’m going to check and see if it’s just that first and move on to hardware. The crashes happen when I’m using Cubase, but I’m always using Cubase so it’s hard to tell If it’s OS or the App.

i juuuust checked the Cubase forums after typing above, and my exact issues are reported in Cubase (red screen/screen glitches, GUI/system freezing/memory leak etc in 10.5 reported) Everyone seems angry. I’m hoping it’s just Cubase then! Will have to use a previous version and other apps to find out. I think I’ve gone around in so many circles that I don’t even know what to check any more, you get obsessed with blaming the hardware or the OS and forget about the latest fancy App update you started using. Arrrg.

Casey I'm going crazy because i lost audio after upgrading from Mojave to Catalina. I've tried putting back all files from post installation zip, reverting back the tweaks in Clover Configurator... What is the good practice to restore audio if it's not working? I'm on the latest bios of Z390 Designare.
Thank you, your guide is amazing btw

This happened to me, and although I've never figured out exactly how to fix it, I did discover a work wround. After the system has booted, if I unplug my (DisplayPort connected) monitor, reconnect it, and then choose the correct output device in System Preferences / Sound, then my sound will start working. It'll keep working even after the system sleeps... but if I reboot, then I have to go through this process again.

@Racke: Thanks! So if I understood the procedure correctly I need to do the following:

- I put the EFI you provided to the EFI partition on the thumb driver I created for the installation. Do I overwrite what is allready there or totally remove the existing EFi folder and replace it wit hthe one you provided? Yes, I will generate new codes with Clover Configurator.
- I also need to put this EFI folder you provided to the SSD drvie on which I want to install the OS? When and how do I make the MacOS installation on that drive prior to Clover installation?

@[B]CaseySJ[/B]: Thanks for your advice! Yes, we have downloade Catalina installer on the Macbook Pro and created the USB thumb driver with Unibeast. I followed your instructions in full (at least I hope I did) but it somehow didn't work. Yes, the "-v" option is there yes. We will try to catch the error on camera next time as you suggested, it is a bit hard because the PC reboots when the error occurs. How come that there are so many different Clover configurations for the same motherboard? I understand that there are also some differences for the GPU but for the CPU it shouldnt matter if it is i7 9700K or i9 9900K, right?

Any suggestion on what to configure in Clover Configurator for 5700 XT? You have RX580 in your build.

What about the OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi? Some other posts suggest that this .efi shouldn't be used. Is this really the case or is it safe to be used?

What is this argument used for "agdpmod = pikera"?

@[B]Ploddles[/B]: Thanks for the tip, I will take a look at that one as well.

@Racke: Thanks! So if I understood the procedure correctly I need to do the following:

- I put the EFI you provided to the EFI partition on the thumb driver I created for the installation. Do I overwrite what is allready there or totally remove the existing EFi folder and replace it wit hthe one you provided? Yes, I will generate new codes with Clover Configurator.
- I also need to put this EFI folder you provided to the SSD drvie on which I want to install the OS? When and how do I make the MacOS installation on that drive prior to Clover installation?

@[B]CaseySJ[/B]: Thanks for your advice! Yes, we have downloade Catalina installer on the Macbook Pro and created the USB thumb driver with Unibeast. I followed your instructions in full (at least I hope I did) but it somehow didn't work. Yes, the "-v" option is there yes. We will try to catch the error on camera next time as you suggested, it is a bit hard because the PC reboots when the error occurs. How come that there are so many different Clover configurations for the same motherboard? I understand that there are also some differences for the GPU but for the CPU it shouldnt matter if it is i7 9700K or i9 9900K, right?

Any suggestion on what to configure in Clover Configurator for 5700 XT? You have RX580 in your build.

What about the OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi? Some other posts suggest that this .efi shouldn't be used. Is this really the case or is it safe to be used?

What is this argument used for "agdpmod = pikera"?

@[B]Ploddles[/B]: Thanks for the tip, I will take a look at that one as well.
You can just overwrite the files on the EFI Partition with the EFI Files you want to use. I always do it like this. The EFI Partition is for booting, so you need it on the device you boot your Computer with. That's why you should copy it to your hard drive, if you don't want to boot from the Stick.

Sequence: Make a stick, out your EFI on it, install OS on your Harddrive, put your EFI on your hard drive. Do not connect to iCloud... before you changed and verified your serials.

We replaced "OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi" with FWruntimeservices.efi and Quirks. so you don't need it any more but you can if you want. But not both of them. I prefer the FWruntimeService method.

"agdpmod = pikera" in simple words it helps 5700 users. I don't need it for my Radeon VII so you should add it to boot arguments.

By the way, i never saw a Radeon VII User who had any problem. But that's my personal opinion. That's why i bought the VII.

I updated to OC 0.5.4 (n-d-k), and stopped using my DSDT in favor of SSDT-NVRAM.aml and friends. This allows me to boot Windows via OC, which is a big plus! However, sleep stopped working: I couldn't get to sleep, it would automatically wake-up instantly after going to sleep. I fixed it by removing the SSDT-NO-CNVW, SSDT-PLUG and SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4 files, both from the ACPI folder and the config.plist. Now sleep works again!

UPDATE: the TB3HP SSDT was not the culprit, but both NO-CNVW and PLUG inhibit sleep capabilities!

Last edited:
@Ploddles: My bad, didn't put enough attention to his signature.

@Racke: Ok. I'm just missing one more part now, the part how you get the MacOS on to the HDD. If I understood the guide this is done via Clover, so I boot from the USB drive, select Install Catalina, some stuff happens and installer should start, correct? if this is the case, I need to resolve the first step, getting to the installer, cause currently I'm stuck at the step "stuff happens" :)

First time we also tried the "noob way", create USB with UniBeast, boot from USB, select Install Catalina, Apple logo appeared, the progress bar came almost to half, stopped moving for a few minutes and the PC rebooted. Tried this a few times before going in deeper with the guides.

@Ploddles: My bad, didn't put enough attention to his signature.

@Racke: Ok. I'm just missing one more part now, the part how you get the MacOS on to the HDD. If I understood the guide this is done via Clover, so I boot from the USB drive, select Install Catalina, some stuff happens and installer should start, correct? if this is the case, I need to resolve the first step, getting to the installer, cause currently I'm stuck at the step "stuff happens" :)

First time we also tried the "noob way", create USB with UniBeast, boot from USB, select Install Catalina, Apple logo appeared, the progress bar came almost to half, stopped moving for a few minutes and the PC rebooted. Tried this a few times before going in deeper with the guides.
Put the EFI on the stick you created with UniBeast. Make shure your BIOS is configured correctly.

For futher information, on Asus Maximus desktop, I have the following set-up :

View attachment 446777

And Like I said on my first post Here, this board have only one Thunderbolt port that why there is only one thunderbolt ethernet appears on IOReg... But two connectors (one USB type A and one USB type C) are used with Thunderbolt device. That's an unknown set-up on Apple world but now it work !
Understood! Will do the Windows test with USB 3.1, USB 3.1 Gen 2, and USB 2.0.
Finally, the results -- which are exactly as expected:
  • Thunderbolt/USB-C Port 1:
    • Connect USB 3.1 Gen 1 --> Port 3 of Second XHC (XHC2 ADR 0x03 == SSP1 on Mac)
    • Connect USB 3.1 Gen 2 --> Port 3 of Second XHC (XHC2 ADR 0x03 == SSP1 on Mac)
    • Connect USB 2.0 --> Port 8 of Primary XHC (Port HS08 on Mac)
  • Thunderbolt/USB-C Port 2:
    • Connect USB 3.1 Gen 1 --> Port 4 of Second XHC (XHC2 ADR 0x04 == SSP2 on Mac)
    • Connect USB 3.1 Gen 2 --> Port 4 of Second XHC (XHC2 ADR 0x04 == SSP2 on Mac)
    • Connect USB 2.0 --> Port 13 of Primary XHC (Port HS13 on Mac)
2020-01-26_13-49-47.png 2020-01-26_13-51-13.png

2020-01-26_14-08-54.png 2020-01-26_14-12-33.png

Last edited:
Back