Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello @Jamz0161

I'm afraid you won't like the answer! Here goes:
  • The CNVi socket is not a typical general-purpose M.2 slot.
  • Instead, it seems to be a very specialized socket whose job is to connect an Intel CNVi module to the Z390 chipset.
  • No other module will be accepted there.
This does not bother me at all because:
  • Windows happily uses the Intel CNVi module to provide WiFi 5 and Bluetooth 5 support.
  • Windows does not recognize the Fenvi FV-T919 (do not install any Broadcom drivers in Windows).
  • So when I boot into Windows, the Intel CNVi is fully operational.
  • And when I boot into macOS, the Fenvi is fully operational.
  • Hence, neither card is wasted.
If Apple ever develops a macOS driver for the Intel CNVi module, then we'll save ourselves a PCIe slot.

Yes, thats unfortunate as i'm planning to use the PCIe slots for UAD satellites and of course a GPU. I will no doubt have plan which PCIe cards go where on the board before i bite the bullet and purchase the build.

So if I do follow " Step 1, Bullet #4 in the Catalina Mini-Guide to update Clover." it says to match this screen from the installer which is what is installing "AptioMemoryFix.efi" to my new clover install. I'm thinking now I shouldn't follow Bullet #4 so precisely?
Would I be better off with this section of Step 3, Bullet #9 in the Catalina Mini-Guide to update Clover for the update?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 3.36.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 3.36.35 PM.png
    350.7 KB · Views: 77
All of those files should remain in /L/E (and we should run Kext Utility to rebuild the kernel cache). Namely:
  • VirtualSMC
  • Lilu
  • WhateverGreen
  • AppleALC
  • USBInjectAll

All these kexts are copied to EFI/CLOVER/KEXTS/OTHER as per the "Catalina Fresh Install.zip" . I'm sure you're not suggesting I put them in both locations.

Sorry I know this is confusing (especially for me..).

So if I do follow " Step 1, Bullet #4 in the Catalina Mini-Guide to update Clover." it says to match this screen from the installer which is what is installing "AptioMemoryFix.efi" to my new clover install. I'm thinking now I shouldn't follow Bullet #4 so precisely?
No need to repeat that procedure. I think the only change needed now is to remove AptioMemoryFix.efi and reboot.

All these kexts are copied to EFI/CLOVER/KEXTS/OTHER as per the "Catalina Fresh Install.zip" . I'm sure you're not suggesting I put them in both locations.

Sorry I know this is confusing (especially for me..).
Are you running Mojave or Catalina?
  • Mojave guide installs kexts in both places.
  • Catalina guide (temporarily) installs kexts only in CLOVER/kexts/Other.
Feel free to post a screenshot of the CLOVER folder with these subfolders expanded:
  • CLOVER/kexts/Other
  • CLOVER/drivers/UEFI

GeekBench 4 and GeekBench 5 compute their scores differently and therefore we cannot compare GB 4 scores against GB 5 scores. GB 5 scores are typically much smaller than GB 4 scores.

Indeed, they are different scores. However, my GB 4 results are within range of your own GB4 results on page 1. So what would GB 5 tell us that is different to that. Just curious. Thanks.

Hi @CaseySJ , do you have any idea of solution for my problem of Boot menu after rebooting the post-installation phase ? I tried the things you adviced me but unfortunately that didn't worked. I'm literally inside a dead end and I don't know what to do to complete the hack. thanks a lot !

I have tried also this but still no luck. At this point I have the suspect that it is an hardware problem, and I have also find some logs that seems to confirm the suspect, below one example:

Code:
2020-01-13 21:27:29.265816+0100 0x4c8      Default     0x0                  0      0    kernel: (AirPortBrcmNIC) ARPT: 87.367090:  wlc_phy_rx_iq_est_acphy: SPINWAIT ERROR : IQ measurement timed out
2020-01-13 21:27:29.265823+0100 0x4c8      Default     0x0                  0      0    kernel: (AirPortBrcmNIC) ARPT: 87.367097: wl0: fatal error, reinitializing, total count of reinit's[52], @'wlapi_wlc_fatal_error':701

But still don't understand why in Windows it works.

Anyway I think I will try with a different card: ABWB 802.11AC WI-FI With Bluetooth 4.0 PCI-Express (PCI-E) BCM94360CS2.

I will keep you informed about the results.

Thanks a lot!

[UPDATE] I have installed a new card with BCM94360CS2 and it eventually works. Thanks for your support.

No need to repeat that procedure. I think the only change needed now is to remove AptioMemoryFix.efi and reboot.

I tried that and the machine stalls at the Splash Screen. I'm 100% back at r4961.

Ready to try the update again, just trying to figure out what went wrong the 1st time.
Since failure renders my machine unbootable I'm hesitant to try again till I understand where I went wrong.

I really think following " Step 1, Bullet #4 in the Catalina Mini-Guide to update Clover." is at the root of my trouble.

I'm running 10.15.2 with current versions of Lilu, AppleALC, WhateverGreen & VirtualSMC installed.

Hello All,

Hope everyone is great !

Am planning to work on Hackintosh. But before I move ahead I would like to know whether I have chosen the right components or NOT.
I need your help guys, as this is my First Hackintosh entirely with New hardware which am going to purchase, earlier I tried and failed couple of times.
But this time I want to give try again but before that I want take help from you guys choosing the right hardware for the build.

1. MotherBoard

2. CPU

3. RAM

4. 3D SSD from SAMSUNG 960 EVO

5. Graphics
Need a help in this
I dont find the "MSI AMD Radeon RX 580 GAMING 8G GDDR5" in https://www.microcenter.com near to my living place.

which is :
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0781XS6QS/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

6. SMP

7. Thermal paste
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0795DP124/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
Shiva

Back