Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Ok I have changed the date in the Bios then create the USB key but when I click on the "Continue" button to install macos the button turns gray so more clickable and nothing happens, I waited 3 5 minutes.
I tried that and the machine stalls at the Splash Screen. I'm 100% back at r4961.

Ready to try the update again, just trying to figure out what went wrong the 1st time.
Since failure renders my machine unbootable I'm hesitant to try again till I understand where I went wrong.

I really think following " Step 1, Bullet #4 in the Catalina Mini-Guide to update Clover." is at the root of my trouble.

I'm running 10.15.2 with current versions of Lilu, AppleALC, WhateverGreen & VirtualSMC installed.

Download the latest zip file from the Mini Guide. Download the latest Clover (5103).
Run Clover package and untick the UEFI checkbox and tick the RC Scripts box and install but do not reboot just yet.
Unzip the Mini Guide zip file, mount the EFI Partition and copy the files from the various folders from the unzipped zip file to the EFI as indicated
Delete the \Driver64UEFI folder.
That should be it and you can now reboot.

Hello All,

Hope everyone is great !

Am planning to work on Hackintosh. But before I move ahead I would like to know whether I have chosen the right components or NOT.
I need your help guys, as this is my First Hackintosh entirely with New hardware which am going to purchase, earlier I tried and failed couple of times.
But this time I want to give try again but before that I want take help from you guys choosing the right hardware for the build.

1. Mother Board

2. CPU

3. RAM

4. 3D SSD from SAMSUNG 960 EVO

5. Graphics
Need a help in this
I dont find the "MSI AMD Radeon RX 580 GAMING 8G GDDR5" in https://www.microcenter.com near to my living place.

which si :
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0781XS6QS/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

6. SMP

7. Thermal paste
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0795DP124/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
Shiva

Of course, this looks OK. When you just buy the same components as Casey (and most of us) your build should work.

An RX 580 Graphic Card is compatible but I'm not sure which vendor to take. Personally, I had a Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB, which worked very good. But as Casey had the MSI, I am sure this will work as well.

indeed they are different scores, however my GB 4 results are within range of your own GB4 results on page 1, so what would GB 5 tell us that is different to that. Just curious thanks
GB5 is the successor, and as such, it will emerge as the standard against which people judge their system's performance. In Post #1 I've included both GB4 and GB5 benchmarks from my system.

Hey @CaseySJ, apparently that didn't worked.. after the reboot the computer still arrives inside the Clover Menu. In a precedent post you told me that "We should be able to fix this problem by using either:
  • OcQuirks.efi / OcQuirks.plist / FwRuntimeServices.efi or
  • OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi
...in combination with slide=0."

But after my reboot, I can't access to the OS anymore, so I can't modify the EFI. I just have the Clover Menu and can't quit it. To test the precedent process you adviced me, I restart the global process from the start. But how modify the EFI if I can't access the OS anymore ?
Unfortunately I didn't understand this message so I didn't reply! :)
  • It seems you had the system up and running, but then you wanted to skip the Clover Boot Menu and boot directly into macOS. So we changed the Clover GUI timeout to -1.
  • The Mojave and Catalina guides in this thread require that you have another Mac or Hackintosh. The USB install disk (and editing the CLOVER folder on USB install disk) is done on the other Mac or Hackintosh.
  • If you are installing Catalina, can you try the installation process again from the very beginning?
  • If you do not have discrete AMD GPU, no problem. The Catalina Mini-Guide contains the procedure for IGPU as well.
  • Please remember not to rush. Take your time. Read each step 2 times.
  • If you get stuck along the way, let me know -- but include enough information so I can understand which step is failing.

Download the latest zip file from the Mini Guide. Download the latest Clover (5103).
Run Clover package and untick the UEFI checkbox and tick the RC Scripts box and install but do not reboot just yet.
Unzip the Mini Guide zip file, mount the EFI Partition and copy the files from the various folders from the unzipped zip file to the EFI as indicated
Delete the \Driver64UEFI folder.
That should be it and you can now reboot.

Ploddles in for the save!! Thank you. That did it.

I'd be lost without the help from this group..

@shivakrishna

The components you listed are the ones I'm using personally, but this build guide accommodates numerous variations. The MSI RX 580 Gaming X, for example, may have been discontinued. But most RX 580 or RX 590 cards will work, as will Vega 56, Vega 64, Radeon VII, RX 5700, and RX 5700 XT. Sapphire Pulse is a good choice.

You can also use any Coffee Lake (8xxx) or Coffee Lake Refresh (9xxx) CPU.

Last edited:
Ploddles in for the save!! Thank you. That did it.

I'd be lost without the help from this group..

Now that you have an updated working EFI on Clover 5xxx, you should update your (rescue) USB boot stick, you do have one don't you???

Run the Clover installer again but this time change the location to the USB stick. This time uncheck the UEFI check box and also untick the RC Scripts check box. When it has finished copy your working EFI folder to the USB UEFI partition EFI folder. Test it by booting from the USB stick.

Now that you have an updated working EFI on Clover 5xxx, you should update your (rescue) USB boot stick, you do have one don't you???

Run the Clover installer again but this time change the location to the USB stick. This time uncheck the UEFI check box and also untick the RC Scripts check box. When it has finished copy your working EFI folder to the USB UEFI partition EFI folder. Test it by booting from the USB stick.
We can simplify this procedure as follows:
  • Format USB flash disk as Scheme = GUID Partition Map.
  • Mount EFI Partitions of USB disk and macOS SSD.
  • Copy entire EFI Folder from macOS EFI Partition to USB EFI Partition.
In other words, it's not necessary to run Clover Installer on the USB disk.

We can simplify this procedure as follows:
  • Format USB flash disk as Scheme = GUID Partition Map.
  • Mount EFI Partitions of USB disk and macOS SSD.
  • Copy entire EFI Folder from macOS EFI Partition to USB EFI Partition.
In other words, it's not necessary to run Clover Installer on the USB disk.

Even easier than I suggested then. I'll bear this in mind in the future when I next update.
I took it that the installer also installed hidden system files etc, like Windows, macOS, Linux etc do, and they were necessary for a working Clover system.
You learn something every day if that isn't the case. :)

Hey @CaseySJ, i just wanted your opinion on using AMD's Navi 10 GPU's with this setup? Do you think a RX 5700 XT would be compatible? I've seen that there is now some support from Apple (in Catalina) for these GPU's.

Back