Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

As you weren't very specific I wanted to confirm. So, do you meanApple's Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter?

ah okay, sorry 'bout that! thought it was specific enough, YES, I use exactly the one you linked!

Edit: Both adapters are original apple products, the second adapter used is the following TB<->FW adapter:

Last edited:
ah okay, sorry 'bout that! thought it was specific enough, YES, I use exactly the one you linked!

Thank you!

I need one for myself too, so I wanted to be 100% sure as Apple sells several Thunderbolt 3 devices.

• Also I am confronted with a weird ?bug in clover bootloader, while the mac seems to work fine, all the text in the bootloader menu is gone. No more labels, no more text in the boot-menu.
    While this is no problem at this time, it could become one when stuff breaks I suppose. Did anybody else experience similar issues?

Thank you !
Can you post a photo of this (but please resize it down to about 1024x768 or so to reduce file size)?

Can you post a photo of this (but please resize it down to about 1024x768 or so to reduce file size)?

This is how my Clover Boot-Menu looks like atm. (second mojave boot drive is from my accidentially still plugged backup ssd, without it its the same situation though)
Clover_NoText.png

when I go into options and scroll through it only shows (a part of) the selected section. (I cut off the rest of the black screen for screenspace sake) (picture below)
Menu_Text.png

Thanks for your effort!

This is how my Clover Boot-Menu looks like atm. (second mojave boot drive is from my accidentially still plugged backup ssd, without it its the same situation though)
View attachment 442487

when I go into options and scroll through it only shows (a part of) the selected section. (I cut off the rest of the black screen for screenspace sake) (picture below)
View attachment 442489

Thanks for your effort!
Looks like a problem with the set of files needed for a Clover theme. It could also be due to some settings in Clover Configurator —> GUI.

Might want to compare your “themes” folder contents with another CLOVER folder (there are many of them posted in this thread) or try switching to “embedded” theme temporarily.

So I just bought this motherboard, i9-9900K and a Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT. I used the mini guide for Catalina and worked great. I can't thank you enough for how easy this was.
I have the same specs, Gigabyte Designare, i9 9900K, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, I also have the Fenvi T919 installed. My plan is running dual both Hackintosh and Win, so I install 2 Nvme on both M2m and M2p (M2p for Hackintosh and M2m for Win). Windows will be installed in the near future.
I’m newbie Hackintosh. I followed the mini guide on page 1021 to install Catalina 10.15.2 on my pc. Everything run smoothly, I can restart few times and my system can boot by itself without using the usb bootable. I installed all the app and software that I need. And then, all the suddenly, my pc was unable to boot, it just showed the prohibited sign no matter what I tried (change the setting in Bios, use the backup final config in my Usb installer,..).
And it happped 2 times already. I wiped off everything and start from scratch again.

- The first time, it happened after I used the Clover Configurator to edit the time boot from 5s to 2s. And then I rebooted it, and saw the prohibited sign. In that case, I thought I messed the config file up, so I just wiped out my ssd and started over again (the Fenvi card wasnt not installed this time)
- The second time, I installed Fenvy card, add another ssd nvme M.2 and started installation. It just happened after I run test in half an hour, restart few times, no problem at all, and then I started installing all the apps and software (I disabled the gatekeeper and turned on the SIP to install some apps). When I thought I’m ready to make an backup, I restarted my Pc and then it broke again, the prohibited sign showed up. :(

I checked in the (-v) mode, and it showed the problem: “Couldn’t allocate runtime area”
I’m not sure what I missing here and how to fix it.

Anyway, CaseySJ you are doing awesome job here. You’ve created the whole new hackintosh world for newbie hackintosh like me. I’m a Windows fan boy, and didn’t update any new technique Pc since 2011. And you know what? I spent 3 *****ng whole days to read all your instructions from the first page. That a lot of works have been done here. It has been a long time I haven’t had the feeling interesting to learn new PC stuff like this time. Great job man!

I’ll try to use Catalina 10.15.1 instead of 10.15.2, create usb installer again with that version.

One thing I want to update:
I saw one comment CaseySJ said the Fenvy card should be installed in PCIex1 (the one at the bottom), but actually I have to install it into the PCIex1 on the top (near Ram slots) because I can’t install the Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT into PCIe slot 1 (near Ram slots) the GPU is big so it hit Ram connectors, and bend the GPU card a little bit to get it position. The PCIe slot 3 same problem since it won’t get enough space at the bottom for the GPU. >> Therefore I have to install GPU to the 2nd slot and install Fenvy card on the top slot.

Attachments

• 07EBB3A7-86CB-4195-BBB2-E75093BB98BB.jpeg
    07EBB3A7-86CB-4195-BBB2-E75093BB98BB.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Might want to compare your “themes” folder contents with another CLOVER folder (there are many of them posted in this thread) or try switching to “embedded” theme temporarily.

I did compare it with two other CLOVER-Folders, seems like everything is the way it should be.

FOUND THE MISTAKE.

Thought I'd know better but it seems I f'ed up my tonymacx86 theme in the "theme editor". However I forgot to switch the theme in the GUI menu. (stupid mistake) Switched to standard Clover now and everything seems to work as intended again.

Thank you, again!

Would you know of any threads/infos regarding my Thunderbolt 2 Drive via adapter compatibility problem?

On the other hand my WD "MyBook Thunderbolt Duo" (tb2) does not work with the apple adapter.
Did anybody get this or a similar drive to work with this build or can point me into the right direction?

thx!

I’m newbie Hackintosh. I followed the mini guide on page 1021 to install Catalina 10.15.2 on my pc. Everything run smoothly...

Actually your decription is a quite messy.

For first, if you want run Win and MacOS on the same hardware, there are several thing you shall consider. Actyally I recommend to install windows first, after that macOS, to avoid messing up you macOS accidentally.

But before installing anything, you have to follow several steps before installing any OS on your comp. You have to prepare your hardware properly, which means upgrade all firmware, BIOS and to configure BIOS properly.

Also I recommend to pay attention to error messages. You are writing:

Couldn’t allocate runtime area

But actual error message is:

Error allocating 0x2bb pages at alloc type 2
Error loading kernel cache (0xe)
Boot failed; will sleep for 10 seconds before

Now, if you Google, you will find a lot of information, what might cause that!

@ptk8588

The timing of your post is fortuitous -- just in time to try the following:
  • Please download MemoryAllocation.efi from this post and copy it into the "drivers" folder in EFI partition of the USB install disk (you'll have to do this on a working Mac, of course).
  • Then try to boot the Hackintosh from the USB flash disk (press F12 at BIOS splash screen to open the BIOS Boot Menu, then choose the USB disk).
  • At the Clover Boot Menu, select the normal "Boot macOS from...".
  • Does it work?
If this does not work, then you may try:
  • Remove USB flash disk.
  • Perform CMOS reset by following the procedure in the Designare owner's manual (short 2 pins with a flat head screwdriver with system shut down).
  • This will reset all BIOS parameters to factory defaults. So enter BIOS Setup and configure all parameters again starting with Load Optimized Defaults.
    • If you saved your BIOS parameters into a profile, you may be able to simply load them again from that profile.
  • Boot computer normally and try to boot macOS normally.
  • Do you still get the "Couldn't allocate memory" error?

Last edited:
Back