Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thanks a ton @CaseySJ.

Disabling Thunderbolt Security did the trick.

Everything else worked out of the box with the Catalina Mini-Guide except this bit.

Appreciate all the effort on this build!

In this Star Wars season, that's what I would call a Phantom Menace.

I have a CyberPower UPS connected to my system via USB. There's even a CyberPower PowerPanel for macOS. When macOS detects a UPS device, it adds a new tab to System Preferences --> Energy Saver. But if you don't have a UPS, it's possible that a different USB or other device might be confusing macOS.

Suggestion:
  • Remove all externally connected USB devices except keyboard and mouse.
  • Does the phantom menace reappear?
  • If so, run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As..., then upload the saved file. It will give us a detailed look at the devices connected to your system.

@CaseySJ, good that you ID'd your UPS as CyberPower. Energy Saver reports that my non-existent UPS is called "Commander PRO", which is actually my Corsair RGB Lighting Controller. Since I am using your SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml, all I need is for you to tell me which USB port your UPS is connected to so I can unmap/disable it with my own new UIAC.

Edit: Never mind, Hackintool reports it as HS11. Thanks a lot!

Edit: Crossed out illogical comments, thanks for pointing out...

Last edited:
I followed the experimental Catalina 10.15.2 guide and am having an issue I think is related to the RAM that I am using. When I use my vengeance LPX DDR4 32gb x 2 the boot hangs on the apple logo, when I swap out with some cheap random 8gb x 2 sticks (on a previous attempt using Orilia, I got an error "Couldn't allocate runtime area") The mac boots fine into Catalina, and everything including the GPU, ethernet, sound etc.. works.

Hardware:
i9 9900k, AMD rx 5700xt, z390 Designare,

Any suggestions on what I can look at to figure out why my RAM won't work.

@CaseySJ, good that you ID'd your UPS as CyberPower. Energy Saver reports that my non-existent UPS is called "Commander PRO", which is actually my Corsair RGB Lighting Controller. Since I am using your SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml, all I need is for you to tell me which USB port your UPS is connected to so I can unmap/disable it with my own new UIAC.

Edit: Never mind, Hackintool reports it as HS11. Thanks a lot!
Just to make the point absolutely clear: My UPS has no effect on the USB SSDT. None whatsoever. Because I have a UPS it does not follow that your system will develop a phantom UPS. That’s quite absurd. It’s like saying if my system has a USB inkjet printer, then your system will get a phantom inkjet printer simply by activating the same USB port.

As you found out, your phantom UPS was due to your Corsair lighting controller and had nothing to do with my UPS.

I followed the experimental Catalina 10.15.2 guide and am having an issue I think is related to the RAM that I am using. When I use my vengeance LPX DDR4 32gb x 2 the boot hangs on the apple logo, when I swap out with some cheap random 8gb x 2 sticks (on a previous attempt using Orilia, I got an error "Couldn't allocate runtime area") The mac boots fine into Catalina, and everything including the GPU, ethernet, sound etc.. works.

Hardware:
i9 9900k, AMD rx 5700xt, z390 Designare,

Any suggestions on what I can look at to figure out why my RAM won't work.
@SR1200 on the previous page in this thread is experiencing the same problem with 32GB DIMMs. We thought this only occurred when attempting to install 128GB RAM, but it seems the problem is with 32GB DIMMs.

It may be necessary to fill out the Memory section in SMBIOS. Please search this thread for 128GB and read through those posts — there aren’t too many of them. Take a look at how others solved the 128GB problem. It will require some experimentation. You may also post a reply here directed at those members.

If you have any questions (and I suspect you will because this can be tricky) just let us know what you tried and the outcome. We can go from there.

Just to make the point absolutely clear: My UPS has no effect on the USB SSDT. None whatsoever. Because I have a UPS it does not follow that your system will develop a phantom UPS. That’s quite absurd. It’s like saying if my system has a USB inkjet printer, then your system will get a phantom inkjet printer simply by activating the same USB port.

As you found out, your phantom UPS was due to your Corsair lighting controller and had nothing to do with my UPS.

Your point is absolutely clear. I made a new UIAC disabling HS11 to where my Corsair RGB lighting controller is connected to and now the phantom menace is gone. This wasn't an issue at all in 10.15.1, I guess it's a new bug introduced by Apple in 10.15.2.

Edit: Crossed out illogical comments in post# 11,174, thanks for pointing out...

Last edited:
View attachment 439963
There's the problem right there...
  • We see 15 USB ports, but they are HS01 through HS14, and USR1.
  • HS refers to High Speed, also known as USB 2.0.
  • SS would refer to Super Speed or USB 3.0.
  • Not only are USB 3.0 ports missing, but USB port HS14 is still enabled. From the build guide in Post #1:
    View attachment 439960
  • This means macOS is trying to use the on-board Intel Bluetooth.
Solution:
  • Please mount EFI partition of your Catalina SSD and check whether the following files are present:
    • CLOVER/ACPI/patched:
      • SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml
      • SSDT-DESIGNARE-Z390-NO-CNVW.aml
      • SSDT-EC.aml
    • CLOVER/kexts/Other:
      • USBInjectAll.kext
After copying any missing files, reboot and login. If Bluetooth works, run IORegistryExplorer once again and have another look at the XHC section to examine the difference.

I made a mistake and in the heat of the moment I must have lost track of all my HDs and flash drives. There were no .aml files in the patched folder. Can not work. Thanks for pointing that out. The good thing is to learn via these failures and be able to see cause and effect. That´s the hardest thing I noticed in the past hackintosh weeks, that there is so many bits and pieces of information that take so much time to absorb. And a lot of things are barely explained (e.g. the clover wiki is really rudimentary IMHO)

I can check this later in the evening.

All: Is anyone experiencing Screen Saver issues?

Quick update: it happens even with the screen saver turned off so I think that the screen saver itself is not involved. The machine is 100% fine under W10 so probably the issue is not HW related.

Hello @Pi3rre
  • Which microphone are you using? Do you have a product link?
  • Which port is it connected to? Is it the highlighted one (pink)?
    View attachment 438881

I use the iphone headphones. Yes, they are connected in the pink port. I also tried with this think connected to the mic and out.

Attachments

• IMG_8215.JPG
    IMG_8215.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 71
I made a mistake and in the heat of the moment I must have lost track of all my HDs and flash drives. There were no .aml files in the patched folder. Can not work. Thanks for pointing that out. The good thing is to learn via these failures and be able to see cause and effect. That´s the hardest thing I noticed in the past hackintosh weeks, that there is so many bits and pieces of information that take so much time to absorb. And a lot of things are barely explained (e.g. the clover wiki is really rudimentary IMHO)
Yes the devil is in the details. Hopefully Bluetooth is working now.

Back