Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I went through this wonderful guide (thank you) a few days ago (less than a week), with a few hardware variations, and I’m up and running with BT/WiFi and all USB/TB working great. I’m currently running a donor 560, but soon I will be upgrading to a 5700 XT. I have a few questions.

1. Since I just recently built my rig, do I need to do any updating before going to Catalina? I haven’t signed into iCloud or anything yet if that makes any difference.

2. Once I’m on Catalina, do I need to change anything to run my 5700 XT?

3. Would I be able to run a virtualbox instance of windows to configure my various RGB settings (Designare, Red Devil, X62), then shut down the VM and my settings would stay under MacOS?

Thanks again for this great build guide, and as a hackintosh newbie, i can say it was very easy to follow.

@CaseySJ
Hello Casey. I have an external DVD drive Super USB Drive from Apple. When I plug it into any USB connection it displays the following message:
The USB accessory needs energy :banghead:
Connect "Apple Super Drive USB" to a USB port on this Mac.
To know that I am on Mojave 10.14.6. I had problems with Catalina. Mojave is much more stable on my Hackintosh.
Can you tell me what I can do?
Thanks a lot for your help.
To know that on iMac no problem. It's ok
View attachment 435226
This indicates that USB high current delivery is not occurring. In your CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder do you have these files:
  • SSDT-EC.aml
  • SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml
We also need to disable all USB Port Limit patches in Clover Configurator --> Kernel and Kext Patches. If all of this has already been done, then please run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As... And post the saved file.

Hi CaseySJ thank you for your reply, just to give you a short response. I made all the changes as suggested and opened by purpose multiple applications and was streaming Spotify music. While working I noticed that suddenly some parts of the screen started to blink in a solid black color. However I was able to continue and by switching to another application and going back to the application that had the blinking parts the blinking parts stopped and everything worked as normal.

Going through the system logs I found one gpuReset which is the reason for the blinking. I just wonder if this has to do with the PSU or that something else is causing this effect. While I clicked on the Post Reply button I had to switch off the machine as everything was frozen.
Because you're using SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 please try this:
  • BIOS --> IGFX --> Disable (turn off IGPU in BIOS)
  • Use the attached config.plist (this version removes iGPU-related entries from Devices --> Properties)

Attachments

• config-MVoort.plist
    9.6 KB · Views: 124
Hi, my name's Will,

I'm new here and I'd like to thank you because your thread is the one that pushed me into building my first Hackintosh. What a great job you did there!

Here's my configuration :
- Gigabyte Z390 Designare (firmware F8)
- Intel Core i7 9700K
- Sapphire Radeon Vega 64
- 32G DDR4 Corsair 3200
- 2x 250G SSD Samsung NVMe EVO Plus (firmware upgrade done)
- 500G SSD SATA Sandisk
- Fenvi T919
- EVGA 850 G3 Power

Well, building was pretty simple, but installing Mojave on this build is way more complicated for me than expected...

Firstly I tried to follow your Tutorial, and was pretty soon stuck while loading with a gIOscreenlockstate 3 that I couldn't fix.

Some friends of mine gave me another EFI (attached below), that I tried, and they advised me to boot with agdpmod=pikera and it worked.

I was able to proceed and install Mojave on my NVMe. But then I was stuck after the first reboot with the screen of macOS : "about 13 minutes remaining". Actually, I thought it was stuck, but now I'm pretty sure it wasn't...

Well, I tried to downgrade my bios from F6 to F3 and F5 but I couldn't change my XMP profile to Profile 1 since it caused a "boot failure" in the bios, so I tried to let the standard profile but I wasn't able to get to the Mojave installation menu anyway.

So, I finally upgraded to F8, thinking maybe the problems were fixed, but it was the same as F6. And I finally decided to actually wait for 13 minutes, and the installation got to its end.

Now, I can boot Mojave from my SSD, but when the loading process ends, I get to a flashing static noise screen... (you can see the result below...)!

It's been 4 days that I struggle, please help me! :) I can't wait to run Mojave on my Hackintosh!

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• EFI OK 09.11.2019.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 81
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 14.25.09.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 14.25.09.png
    529.2 KB · Views: 88
Certainly -- there are no issues reported for the Samsung 860 EVO. However, because Designare has only two M.2 slots, are you sure you want to use one of them for a backup drive? Some things to consider:
  • Backups do not require the fastest drives. But they do require capacity. They need to be large enough to accommodate all system and user files.
  • SATA SSDs are better suited for backups, in my view. They are cheap. They can be installed in cheap external USB 3 enclosures, they can be stored someplace away from the computer, they can be upgraded easily without having to open the computer and unscrew/remove the drive (as would be needed for M.2 drives), etc.
  • SATA SSDs are still very fast. Not as fast as NVMe SSDs, but we simply do not need that kind of speed for backups. Only the first backup is a full backup. Typically, subsequent backups are incrementalbackups where only files that have been modified are copied.
    • So we really do not need maximum speed.
    • And it's better to save the other NVMe slot for something else in the future.
Samsung 860 EVO is SATA SSD, not M.2. I asked the question because the backup drive 12 GB smaller than macOS drive. I guess there will be no problem unless I use all of 512GB of the macOS drive.

I went through this wonderful guide (thank you) a few days ago (less than a week), with a few hardware variations, and I’m up and running with BT/WiFi and all USB/TB working great. I’m currently running a donor 560, but soon I will be upgrading to a 5700 XT. I have a few questions.

1. Since I just recently built my rig, do I need to do any updating before going to Catalina? I haven’t signed into iCloud or anything yet if that makes any difference.

2. Once I’m on Catalina, do I need to change anything to run my 5700 XT?

3. Would I be able to run a virtualbox instance of windows to configure my various RGB settings (Designare, Red Devil, X62), then shut down the VM and my settings would stay under MacOS?

Thanks again for this great build guide, and as a hackintosh newbie, i can say it was very easy to follow.
Hello @oopsydaisy (such an appropriate name for a hackintosher :) )
  1. We need to update WhateverGreen to version 1.3.4 or newer. It's a good idea to update Lilu and AppleALC as well. Note that these kexts should be updated in both CLOVER/kexts/Other and /Library/Extensions.
    • After updating to /Library/Extensions, we must run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel cache.
  2. Catalina 10.15.1 supports the 5700 XT natively, so it's just plug-and-play. However, it's a good idea to search this thread for keyword '5700' to see what others have experienced.
  3. Virtual Machines (VirtualBox, VMWare Fusion, Parallels) work like this:
    • The host operating system (macOS in this case) has full and exclusive control of all hardware.
    • The host operating system takes the hardware it controls and generates a hardware abstraction layer (HAL)that represents that hardware.
      • For every real USB port, for example, HAL provides a virtual USB port.
      • For every real Ethernet port, HAL provides a virtual Ethernet port.
      • For every PCIe card in the system, HAL provides a virtual PCIe version of that card.
    • The sum total of all these virtual devices constitutes the Virtual Machine.
    • The hosted OS (Windows, Linux, etc.) running inside a Virtual Machine has access only to the virtual devices that are in the HAL.
    • The device drivers used by the hosted OS (Windows, Linux) are, in effect, mapped to the native kexts of the host OS (Mac).
    • So if Windows uses its own device driver to control a USB port, the Windows device driver sends commands to a virtual USB device. But this virtual USB device is physically controlled by Apple's USB driver (kext).
  4. As you can see, the hosted OS can, in general, do only what the host OS can do because the host OS is controlling the physical device.
However:
  1. Some devices are configured just by sending them various command codes over a USB bus or a PCIe bus or a SATA bus, etc. As long as the hosted OS has access to the bus, it can configure the device properly.
    • For example, NZXT's HUE 2 lighting controller is a USB device, but there are no macOS drivers.
    • But if we install Windows in a Virtual Machine, we can run NZXT's CAM software to control the RGB effects.
    • This is possible because the USB port is virtualized and made available to Windows, and Windows is free to send any stream of bytes over that USB port. RGB effects are configured by sending predefined byte streams, hence HUE 2 can be controlled.
    • The same is true for your NZXT Kraken X62. If you connect the USB cable, you'll be able to control it through Windows in a VM.
  2. But regarding the lights on your PowerColor Red Devil GPU -- I do not know, but it's worth trying.
Finally, we can control NZXT Kraken, HUE 2, and Smart Device V1/V2 lighting/fan channels by using liquidctl directly on macOS (no need for Windows or VirtualBox). Version 1.3.0rc1 is now available and we've added support for Homebrew Package Installer, which means it can be downloaded and installed as easily as this:
  • First install Xcode through Mac App Store.
  • Then install Homebrew (or simply brew) by copying/pasting this in Terminal:
    • /usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
  • Finally, type:
    • brew tap jonasmalacofilho/liquidctl
    • brew install liquidctl --devel
Instructions for use:

Last edited:
Hi, my name's Will,

I'm new here and I'd like to thank you because your thread is the one that pushed me into building my first Hackintosh. What a great job you did there!

- Intel Core i7 9700K
- 32G DDR4 Corsair 3200
- 500G SSD SATA Sandisk
- Fenvi T919
- EVGA 850 G3 Power

Well, building was pretty simple, but installing Mojave on this build is way more complicated for me than expected...

Firstly I tried to follow your Tutorial, and was pretty soon stuck while loading with a gIOscreenlockstate 3 that I couldn't fix.

Some friends of mine gave me another EFI (attached below), that I tried, and they advised me to boot with agdpmod=pikera and it worked.

I was able to proceed and install Mojave on my NVMe. But then I was stuck after the first reboot with the screen of macOS : "about 13 minutes remaining". Actually, I thought it was stuck, but now I'm pretty sure it wasn't...

Well, I tried to downgrade my bios from F6 to F3 and F5 but I couldn't change my XMP profile to Profile 1 since it caused a "boot failure" in the bios, so I tried to let the standard profile but I wasn't able to get to the Mojave installation menu anyway.

So, I finally upgraded to F8, thinking maybe the problems were fixed, but it was the same as F6. And I finally decided to actually wait for 13 minutes, and the installation got to its end.

Now, I can boot Mojave from my SSD, but when the loading process ends, I get to a flashing static noise screen... (you can see the result below...)!

It's been 4 days that I struggle, please help me! :) I can't wait to run Mojave on my Hackintosh!

Thanks in advance!

I connected my screen to the Display Port instead of HDMI and it seems to work...

Samsung 860 EVO is SATA SSD, not M.2. I asked the question because the backup drive 12 GB smaller than macOS drive. I guess there will be no problem unless I use all of 512GB of the macOS drive.
Yes of course it's SATA SSD -- Samsung's confusing product names... (was thinking of the 960).

The difference in capacity does not matter as long as there's enough room on the destination drive. This is because CCC performs a file-by-file copy instead of a sector-by-sector copy. It keeps copying files until the destination runs out of room.

Last edited:
Hi, my name's Will,

- Intel Core i7 9700K
- 32G DDR4 Corsair 3200
- 500G SSD SATA Sandisk
- Fenvi T919
- EVGA 850 G3 Power

Thanks in advance!
I connected my screen to the Display Port instead of HDMI and it seems to work...
Please note that the EFI Folder you received from your friends has many issues/problems!
  • You're using VirtualSMC, but the drivers/UEFI folder is missing VirtualSmc.efi.
  • You do not need AirportBrcmFixup.kext.
  • In the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder:
    • SSDT-DTPG.aml is missing, so Thunderbolt hot plug will not work
    • SSDT-6-A M I.aml should be deleted
    • SSDT-2-A M I.aml should be deleted
  • etc. etc. etc.
I think it's better to try the original EFI Folder again (based on build guide). Use HDMI port for now and later we can see if DP works.

Because you're using SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 please try this:
  • BIOS --> IGFX --> Disable (turn off IGPU in BIOS)
  • Use the attached config.plist (this version removes iGPU-related entries from Devices --> Properties)
Thank you very much. In my BIOS I turned off Chipset --> Internal Graphics (I cannot find IGFX but I presume you mean the Internal Graphics). And I am using the new config.plist. Running a test now and when I have a result I will report back about the results.

Back