Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@MVoort

First of all, thank you for the detailed description -- much appreciated. Suggestions:
  • Delete the RX 580 SSDT from CLOVER/ACPI/patched.
  • In Clover Configurator --> Kernel and Kext Patches, check the Disable flag for all 4 USB Port Limit patches. These are not needed because the USB SSDT takes care of configuring the ports.
  • Install VirtualSMC.kext, SMCProcessor.kext, and SMCSuperIO.kext into /Library/Extensions and rebuild kernel cache by running Kext Utility.
Let's start with these changes and then see if the GPU problem persists.

Back to square one, today again "scan entries"....
Have you already tried re-flashing the BIOS? (BIOS parameters will need to be configured afterwards.)

Hi Casey,

An update, but still no success. I have done the following:

1: Full installer is in the /Applications folder of boot disk Mojave.
2: downloaded and ran Combo 10.14.6 installer, let it install the basics, then let it get to the regular desktop with the "macOS Install Data" folder on the root of Mojave
3: Ran the full installer from /Applications and when it rebooted, chose "boot from install MacOS Mojave". It went to the same screen where it says "resources not found" (see enclosed photo). Restart took longer than usual and I noticed some weird timeouts. It rebooted twice and I was actually concerned it was not going to get to the desktop, but eventually did. Still at 10.14.3.
4: From the desktop, I opened Terminal and typed:
Hackintosh:~ paul$ cd /Applications​
Hackintosh:Applications paul$ cd Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources​
Hackintosh:Resources paul$ ./startosinstall --volume /Volumes/mojave​
and it started an install, showing the license agreement (which I agreed to) at which point I got a lot of "preparing":
Preparing to run macOS Installer...​
Preparing: 0.2%​
Preparing: 0.5%​
Preparing: 0.9%​
Preparing: 1.3%​
Preparing: 1.7%​
(etc to 100%)
and then it restarted. I chose "boot from Install MacOS Mojave" again and it ran through to the same "Resources not found" screen, at which point I gave up and rebooted to the desktop.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I can not figure out what. As far as I can tell, I've got all the right pieces in the right places (extensions, etc.) but it just won't get to the point of actually running the 10.14.6 install.

Any help is, as always, appreciated.

Best,

Paul
Try this (based on the 2 referenced posts below):
  1. Insert your USB install disk into the Mac you're trying to upgrade.
  2. Open Terminal and do the following:
    • Note the name of the USB install disk.
    • Check this:
    • ls /Volumes/<name of USB disk>/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/SharedResources
      • Replace <name of USB disk> with the actual name of your USB disk. If the name has any spaces, put the entire name in quotes. For example:
      • ls /Volumes/"USB Installer"/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/SharedResources
      • If you see an error message, fix the problem if you can, or stop and let me know.
    • If the macOS Install Data folder is still present at the root of the Mojave SSD then you're ready to do the following:
      • cp -rf /Volumes/<name of USB disk>/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/SharedResources/* /Volumes/Mojave/macOS\ install\ data/
      • Replace <name of USB disk> with actual name of your USB install disk. Again, put name in quotes if there are any spaces in the name.
      • Use the correct upper/lower case letters (is the folder name macOS Install Data or is it macOS install data?).

Last edited:
Someone else just reported a boot problem with the Intel 600 NVMe (presumably the 660p), but let's defer that for a moment. Instead:
  • The RX 580 SSDT is not needed. Its only role is to rename the device for alphabetical order purposes. Your RX 470 is natively supported in macOS Mojave and Catalina.
  • The Nvidia GPU should be removed from the system during installation and post-installation. The RX 470 can be installed in either Slot 1 or Slot 2.
  • Although not strictly necessary, it is still advisable to disconnect Windows drives if you're facing strange boot problems.
  • After post-installation it's possible to reinstall the Nvidia GPU by using both the SSDT that renders it invisible to macOS and adding a boot flag for extra measure. This can be done later.
  • It is also advisable to install Mojave 10.14.6 if you're using UniBeast and MultiBeast. Those tools are in the process of being updated for Catalina, but are not yet ready.
If despite these suggestions you continue to experience hours-long installation, basic boot failures and other strange anomalies then we might suspect the Intel 660p.

Just to add my contribution, when installing macOS on one of my laptops, I couldn't get the installer started most of the time. The laptop had an Intel NVMe drive. (I can't remember the exact model, but think it was 600 series.). Swapping the Intel NVMe with a Samsung 970 got things working fine. So it is definitely something to think about/consider...

For those of you who are trying to update firmware by booting from a USB flash drive. CSM Support must be Enabled in the BIOS to boot from USB. I also set Storage Boot Option Control and Other PCI Devices to Legacy. I turned it on long enough to run the utility and then put it back to CSM Support → Disabled.

This comes in handy when you're trying to update Samsung SSD firmware. You may also notice that UNETBOOTIN doesn't seem to work on Catalina. I followed this guide from Lewan Technology to write the iso to the USB drive.

@MVoort

First of all, thank you for the detailed description -- much appreciated. Suggestions:
  • In Clover Configurator --> Kernel and Kext Patches, check the Disable flag for all 4 USB Port Limit patches. These are not needed because the USB SSDT takes care of configuring the ports.
  • Install VirtualSMC.kext, SMCProcessor.kext, and SMCSuperIO.kext into /Library/Extensions and rebuild kernel cache by running Kext Utility.

Hi @CaseySJ, thank you for your reply, just to give you a short response. I made all the changes as suggested and opened by purpose multiple applications and was streaming Spotify music. While working I noticed that suddenly some parts of the screen started to blink in a solid black color. However I was able to continue and by switching to another application and going back to the application that had the blinking parts the blinking parts stopped and everything worked as normal.

Going through the system logs I found one gpuReset which is the reason for the blinking. I just wonder if this has to do with the PSU or that something else is causing this effect. Note Just before I wanted to post this reply I had the spinning beachball and a almost a complete red screen, again switching to another application and going back to Safari made that I could continue.

Attachments

• Systemlog 10 november.png
    Systemlog 10 november.png
    84.1 KB · Views: 136
@CaseySJ
Hello Casey. I have an external DVD drive Super USB Drive from Apple. When I plug it into any USB connection it displays the following message:
The USB accessory needs energy :banghead:
Connect "Apple Super Drive USB" to a USB port on this Mac.
To know that I am on Mojave 10.14.6. I had problems with Catalina. Mojave is much more stable on my Hackintosh.
Can you tell me what I can do?
Thanks a lot for your help.
To know that on iMac no problem. It's ok
Super drive usb.png

Last edited:
@MVoort

Hi CaseySJ thank you for your reply, just to give you a short response. I made all the changes as suggested and opened by purpose multiple applications and was streaming Spotify music. While working I noticed that suddenly some parts of the screen started to blink in a solid black color. However I was able to continue and by switching to another application and going back to the application that had the blinking parts the blinking parts stopped and everything worked as normal.

Going through the system logs I found one gpuReset which is the reason for the blinking. I just wonder if this has to do with the PSU or that something else is causing this effect. While I clicked on the Post Reply button I had to switch off the machine as everything was frozen.

Attachments

• config.plist
    10 KB · Views: 166
  • Clover-ACPI-Patched 2019-11-10.png
    Clover-ACPI-Patched 2019-11-10.png
    24 KB · Views: 146
  • System-Library-Extensions 2019-11-10 .png
    System-Library-Extensions 2019-11-10 .png
    64.2 KB · Views: 151
  • Systemlog 19-11-10.png
    Systemlog 19-11-10.png
    84.1 KB · Views: 146
Just to add my contribution, when installing macOS on one of my laptops, I couldn't get the installer started most of the time. The laptop had an Intel NVMe drive. (I can't remember the exact model, but think it was 600 series.). Swapping the Intel NVMe with a Samsung 970 got things working fine. So it is definitely something to think about/consider...
I'll add a warning to avoid using the Intel 660p SSD until we have a solution.

@CaseySJ

I will use Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB drive for Catalina. Can I use Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB as a backup drive?
Certainly -- there are no issues reported for the Samsung 860 EVO. However, because Designare has only two M.2 slots, are you sure you want to use one of them for a backup drive? Some things to consider:
  • Backups do not require the fastest drives. But they do require capacity. They need to be large enough to accommodate all system and user files.
  • SATA SSDs are better suited for backups, in my view. They are cheap. They can be installed in cheap external USB 3 enclosures, they can be stored someplace away from the computer, they can be upgraded easily without having to open the computer and unscrew/remove the drive (as would be needed for M.2 drives), etc.
  • SATA SSDs are still very fast. Not as fast as NVMe SSDs, but we simply do not need that kind of speed for backups. Only the first backup is a full backup. Typically, subsequent backups are incremental backups where only files that have been modified are copied.
    • So we really do not need maximum speed.
    • And it's better to save the other NVMe slot for something else in the future.

Back