Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

OK! We are getting somewhere :)

I wonder if Windows adding boot entries is doing something... Can you try this:
Boot macOS, or some other OS except Windows (Linux, WinPE etc). You will then mount the windows EFI partition, then rename the file in /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi to /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw-orig.efi. Clover will scan and find the file, and if you have made a custom entry for it, just alter the name to read like the renamed file.
You can also rename bootx64.efi in /EFI/Boot, this may or may not help. The actual bootloader for Windows is the bootmgfw.efi file, it is responsible for loading and executing the BCD store before handing control over to WinLoad.efi.

Years ago I tried looking for a way to just load Winload.efi directly, but it seems that bootmgfw.efi sets up certain variables and such, so it couldn't be done :(
I really hate Windows persistently adding itself to NVRAM's boot option, it's like it wants to be the only bootloader or the number 1... It's as if Microsoft isn't aware that there are other bootloaders that can chain to their's and boot Windows as well lol...

I had already renamed the Microsoft bootmgfw.efi file, but I have not tried renaming the bootx64.efi. I'll try that this evening. Something else I need to look at is how having an extra UEFI Drive (Windows) affects my Memmap dump. Theoretically, I'm getting the allocation error because something has changed memory wise. Maybe my slide parameter needs to be recalculated with the Windows drive in the mix? Will take a look at that this evening as well.

Thanks for this research @CODYQX4. Just wanted to add that after second boot DVMT settings show up in BIOS. I don't see them there right after flushing to F8.

I remember that now. It's probably because I immediately disabled iGPU on F8 in all cases. I remember on F7 having to enable iGPU, save, and then enter BIOS again when testing that.

The question I couldn't understand...what is the advantage of enabling the iGPU? If it works perfectly disabled in F8.

I am using the Asus ThunderboltEX 3 and Asus ThunderboltEX 2 (one at a time, of course). Some suggestions:
  • Power down the system fully (including flipping power switch on PSU).
  • Remove and reconnect THB_C header cable from both motherboard and Thunderbolt card.
  • Power up the system.
  • Boot into Windows.
  • Can you connect Thunderbolt devices?
I would be surprised if the card actually failed, but it can happen.

After multiple tries to no avail, I went ahead and bought a GIGABYTE TITAN RIDGE Thunderbolt 3 Card to try. Lo and behold, Windows recognised the GIGABYTE TITAN RIDGE Thunderbolt 3 Card without having to install any Gigabyte Thunderbolt drivers. I then boot into OSX, and I see my G-Raid Thunderbolt 3 drive mounted on the Desktop. The best news is I'm able to hot plug my Thunderbolt drive which was never possible with the Asus Thunderbolt card. Happy!

FYI
There are updates for Lilu, AppleALC, and VirtualSMC in the last few hours.

Last edited:
Hey @CaseySJ - quick questions:

1. Any ideas on what may have caused the borked VirtualSMC install (based on those instructions)? I'm running Clover v 4920 (the one that came in the original MultiBeast) - do you think that may have something to do with it? Do you recommend upgrading to the new versions of Clover? ( I remember I had a nightmare of a time with 5xxx versions of Clover and getting the right memory fix).
Clover 4920 is outdated and may in fact be the cause of some of these issues. It should be replaced with 4961 or newer.
2. What do you think about the F8 bios - is that recommended or still in research?
So far F8 looks good. However, I need to test Thunderbolt hot plug capability. I saw some strange behavior after updating to Catalina 10.15.1 that I can neither confirm nor deny :) because I ran out of time last night...
3. What are your thoughts on the 5700XT's running in Catalina? Are those drivers portable to Mojave or is that just a pipedream. I'm considering upgrading to Catalina just to run the PowerColor Red Devil but not sure how stable those drivers are in either OSX or Windows right now.
You know, some things just need to be attempted by daring volunteers!

Hello,

Thanks for this thorough build. I just set up mine but can't seem to get Thunderbolt 3 to work. I'm trying to use UAD Apollo x8. I has worked with a previous hackintosh with Thunderbolt 2. Could someone help me troubleshoot this?

System: Gigabyte z370 Designare, Intel i9-9900k, HyperX Predator Black 64BG 3200MHz DDR4, Sapphire Radeon RX580 8GB, Silicon Power 2TB NVMe M.2 (system drive), macOS 10.14.6 Mojave.
I believe it is necessary to update the firmware on your Apollo x8 and install the latest macOS drivers. If you've already done that, then please download and run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As... then upload the saved file. It will help us determine whether Thunderbolt configuration is okay.

Thanks for this research @CODYQX4. Just wanted to add that after second boot DVMT settings show up in BIOS. I don't see them there right after flushing to F8.
Same behavior as in F6.

After multiple tries to no avail, I went ahead and buy a GIGABYTE TITAN RIDGE Thunderbolt 3 Card to try. Lo and behold, Windows recognise the GIGABYTE TITAN RIDGE Thunderbolt 3 Card without having to install any gigabyte thunderbolt driver. I then boot into OSX and I see my G-Raid thunderbolt 3 drive mounted on the desktop. The best news is I'm able to hot plug my thunderbolt drive which was never possible with the Asus thunderbolt card. Happy!
Wow!! Let me get this straight:
  • This is your X99 Asus Deluxe II we're talking about?
  • You installed the GC-Titan Ridge card into that system, but did not connect the THB_C header?
  • Did you connect any other cables such as?
    • Two PCI power cables from the PSU to the GC-Titan Ridge?
    • USB 2.0 header cable?
  • For hot plug on macOS, did you install the Thunderbolt hot plug SSDT?
    • Or no SSDT at all?
  • If you do a cold start (i.e. shutdown system and flip power switch on PSU for 10 seconds) and boot directly into macOS with no Thunderbolt devices connected, then hot plug a Thunderbolt device, does it show up?

The question I couldn't understand...what is the advantage of enabling the iGPU? If it works perfectly disabled in F8.
I suppose there are 3 ways to answer this:
  1. If someone does not have a discrete GPU, their only choice is to enable and use the IGPU.
  2. Even with an AMD discrete GPU in the system, macOS can make parallel use of the IGPU to speed up various compute tasks. On Macs that ship with both IGPU and discrete GPU, macOS exploits them both. On a real iMac 19,1 for example, both the AMD Radeon and Intel UHD 630 are used. By enabling the IGPU and using headless mode, we more closely mimic a real iMac 19,1.
  3. Intel ships the F-Series processors (such as i9-9900KF) without IGPUs, so if someone really wanted to avoid the IGPU at all costs, they could purchase one of these processors. But for those who paid good money for a processor with integrated IGPU, it might not feel right for them to "sabotage" a major feature of that processor.

Back