Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

The question I couldn't understand...what is the advantage of enabling the iGPU? If it works perfectly disabled in F8.

The issue is having the headless iGPU handle hardware based encoding/decoding of video. It's also tied to DRM I believe - which can be addressed without iGPU by using shiki values. In my case, running 10.14.6, I get H264 hardware based enc/dec via my Radeon VII, but with H265(HEVC) I don't. So, any HEVC is being done by the CPU. This comes into play when you're dealing with a lot of HEVC content and you want to take advantage of the hardware you have.

So, if you're not dealing with H265 for encoding/decoding a lot (e.g. speed), then you likely don't care about enabling your iGPU. Of course, we all want to take full advantage of all our hardware, but there are ongoing memory mapping issues for booting with the iGPU. If you run the OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi memory fix then you can have both, but the author of it says it could have potential issues. So, it's a matter of preference as to which memory fix you choose and if you really want the iGPU enabled.

Here's an image of the settings output from VideoProc. You can see I'm running 10.14.6 and I get no HVEC (H.265) hardware found.

Attachments

• VideoProc.png
    VideoProc.png
    136.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
The issue is having the headless iGPU handle hardware based encoding/decoding of video. It's also tied to DRM I believe - which can be addressed without iGPU by using shiki values. In my case, running 10.14.6, I get H264 hardware based enc/dec via my Radeon VII, but with H265(HEVC) I don't. So, any HEVC is being done by the CPU. This comes into play when you're dealing with a lot of HEVC content and you want to take advantage of the hardware you have.

So, if you're not dealing with H265 for encoding/decoding a lot (e.g. speed), then you likely don't care about enabling your iGPU. Of course, we all want to take full advantage of all our hardware, but there are ongoing memory mapping issues for booting with the iGPU. If you run the OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi memory fix then you can have both, but the author of it says it could have potential issues. So, it's a matter of preference as to which memory fix you choose and if you really want the iGPU enabled.

Was reading what the author of OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 said again, and saw people having success with iMacPro1,1 instead of iMac19,1. Curious if this has been explored already (and possibly breaks Sidecar?)

This means you have iMac19,1 (because Sidecar is working). I will try this SMBIOS later tonight.
Well, I accidentally hosed my system last night and have spent the day trying to get a fresh install to upgrade to Catalina 10.15.1. I've updated every kext (all those issued today as well) Clover up to the very latest and I'm blowed if I can get it to install :(
Has anyone managed to do an install with 10.15.1 - not an upgrade from 10.15.0 - going straight from 10.14.6?
The screen just goes black on me after the second phase of loading - every time
Ideas would be most welcome

Well, I accidentally hosed my system last night and have spent the day trying to get a fresh install to upgrade to Catalina 10.15.1. I've updated every kext (all those issued today as well) Clover up to the very latest and I'm blowed if I can get it to install :(
Has anyone managed to do an install with 10.15.1 - not an upgrade from 10.15.0 - going straight from 10.14.6?
When my screen went black at that point, it was because I hadn't upgraded Whatevergreen.

Are you updating kexts in both CLOVER/kexts/Other and /Library/Extensions?

If the 10.15.1 update is not finished (i.e. screen blacks out after 2nd phase of loading) it may be possible to boot back into the pre-update state. At the Clover Boot Menu, if you see both:
  • Boot macOS Install from ...
  • Boot macOS from ...
Then choose the second one (without the word Install). Does it boot up?

Are you updating kexts in both CLOVER/kexts/Other and /Library/Extensions?

If the 10.15.1 update is not finished (i.e. screen blacks out after 2nd phase of loading) it may be possible to boot back into the pre-update state. At the Clover Boot Menu, if you see both:
  • Boot macOS Install from ...
  • Boot macOS from ...
Then choose the second one (without the word Install). Does it boot up?
Hi Casey
Yes, I updated both sets of kexts - I'll try your suggestion next time I sum up the courage to try it again
And yes (rondark) WEG was the first kext I updated
Thanks - exhausted for now :(

I looked at my memmap and saw the number was reduced.

For whatever reason, clearing CMOS and setting the BIOS up exactly the way I had it after the flash (which resets all the settings in the first place) resolved it.

This does seem to hint at the theory there is something in CMOS that permanently effects the memmap.

My experience with memmap (iGPU off in all cases).
1. Flash to F8 BIOS+set desired BIOS settings: 160D6 pages. Couldn't boot with AptioMemoryFix+slide=0.
2. Reset CMOS: 24573 pages. I don't think I rebooted or shutdown here and can't remember if I had set the BIOS settings yet.
3. Reboot after I reset CMOS (the first time, not a second reset): 1E2EE pages.
4. Reboot and then patch my MSR because I forgot to do so: 19269 pages. This is slightly lower but close to where I was on F7. On F7 it was 19580 pages.

[...]

Things that definitely effect my memmap (and do so immediately).
1. iGPU Disabled/Enabled
2. DVMT Preallocated (setting seems to be removed in F8)

Out of interest, I decided to hop into the UEFI shell and take a look at my system since you provided some nice data. Running F6 on mine and this is what I got.

Code:
AptioMemoryFix-64.efi
f93fd0faf8960351f6d11187747e1adb92f7ea76

Without iGPU
First available 1B676 (hex) = 112246 (decimal)

With iGPU
First available 16676 (hex) = 91766 (decimal)

So the difference with iGPU enabled is about 20,480 (decimal) pages for iGPU?

My very next available space is only 137DC (hex) = 79836 (decimal) - so it would not be enough. All these values are with slide=0. I'll have to try with another memory fix and see how/if things change.

I'm stuck. I successfully updated to 10.15.1 and followed @CaseySJ warning before updating to 10.15.1 post, but I still got a empty screen before login. The only way I can use the display is through on board HDMI through the Designare. But the HDMI through the Vega Frontier Edition will give me empty screen before login. I don't have any monitors with DisplayPort, but the Vega Frontier supports 3 DisplayPorts. I can't use my internal AMD Radeon Frontier Edition as my main display driver right now. I'm also on BIOS f8. Someone please help. If you have a Vega Frontier Edition or using graphics card with HDMI as main connection, please let me know if there is problems with empty screen with HDMI. I don't want to go out and purchase a $200 monitor just to test the DisplayPort. Please look at the pictures I attached. My PCI still is registered and shows full support. I don't know if this is a whatevergreen issue or not.
Checklist:
  • Do you have any Apple AGDP patches in Kernel and Kext Patches section of Clover Configurator? Those should be disabled with WhateverGreen 1.3.4.
  • After copying the new kexts to /Library/Extensions did you run Kext Utility to fix permissions and rebuild kernel cache?
  • Have you also updated WhateverGreen in CLOVER/kexts/Other?

Back