Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi @CaseySJ , thank you for thhis massive guide, i hope you can help me. I'm trying to get past clover bootloader following your steps exactly as described but it fails on RandomSeed message.

My build features 9900K + 2x XFX Radeon Vega VII + 128GB 3000Mhz Corsair RAM + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB Nvme + WD Black 1TB NVMe + 3x Samsung QVO Sata3 2TB SSD.

I was able to boot using OpenCore but sleep and shutdown doesnt work.

I've Tried Using F6 and F7 BIOS, i'm using Mojave 10.14.6 installation and iMacPro 1,1 as SMBIOS, i dont want to use iGPU because of Double Radeon VII Cards

I've also removed the stock Intel Wifi + BT Card from the motherboard

I could upload any content you need in order to keep this build going, i want to boot using free2000 driver along slide=0 but it wont boot up, sometimes it show allocation error as is known, but neither boots with or without error .

i really need to get this build going soon for working, i'll be really thankful for your help ASAP.

Thanks in advance

You say you have 128GB RAM, so you are most likely failing due to the 32GB RAM issue I ran into and found a Clover fix for.

I haven't seen your OpenCore config but I'm getting close myself there, just need to get sleep (I don't expect to get native nvram as that fails for most) working and I have a good idea why it isn't.

But to fix it for Clover, try this. I suspect this is the issue as you fail exactly where I did. The presence of any 32GB DIMM on Clover makes it choke on RandomSeed but if you spoof SMBIOS as described here it works.

If you have a Broadcom WiFi/BT card, you will need to upgrade the WiFi/Bluetooth Kexts to the ones that support Catalina. You can find the updated Kexts here:

These are a fork of RehabMans original Broadcom Kexts: https://github.com/headkaze/OS-X-BrcmPatchRAM/releases

Info on these Kexts were found here: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...-catalina-broadcom-bluetooth-firmware-upload/

Remove the 2 WiFi/BT kexts that you were using for Mojave and replace them with the 3 kexts (yes, THREE) from the link above.

Once you replace them then Power off, remove power cord, press power on button a few times. Attach power cord and restart the machine.
I'm not against trying, but as I said earlier, I can't mount the EFI partition anymore and I've tried several methods. If you have an idea, I'm interested.

If you have a Broadcom WiFi/BT card, you will need to upgrade the WiFi/Bluetooth Kexts to the ones that support Catalina. You can find the updated Kexts here:

These are a fork of RehabMans original Broadcom Kexts: https://github.com/headkaze/OS-X-BrcmPatchRAM/releases

Info on these Kexts were found here: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...-catalina-broadcom-bluetooth-firmware-upload/

Remove the 2 WiFi/BT kexts that you were using for Mojave and replace them with the 3 kexts (yes, THREE) from the link above.

Once you replace them then Power off, remove power cord, press power on button a few times. Attach power cord and restart the machine.
I'm trying to understand the quantified reasons for these updates? My BCM94360CD appears to be working just fine in Catalina with handoff, continuity, etc... Did you find that you needed to update to these patches in order for your Broadcom to function, or were you noticing issues prior to updating?

Thanks for any details...

You say you have 128GB RAM, so you are most likely failing due to the 32GB RAM issue I ran into and found a Clover fix for.

I haven't seen your OpenCore config but I'm getting close myself there, just need to get sleep (I don't expect to get native nvram as that fails for most) working and I have a good idea why it isn't.

But to fix it for Clover, try this. I suspect this is the issue as you fail exactly where I did. The presence of any 32GB DIMM on Clover makes it choke on RandomSeed but if you spoof SMBIOS as described here it works.
So much thanks!!. Which SMBIOS Imust spoof to get Clover working? 19,1 with iGPU enabled in headless mode?

So you're using OpenCore for your build instead of Clover? Waiting for OC to fix sleep issues? Would you mind sharing your OC folder?

Last edited:
So much thanks!!

So you're using OpenCore for your build instead of Clover? Waiting for OC to fix sleep issues?

I don't think it's OpenCore as MuffinCrumbs eventually got his to work.

I think it's because I didn't patch PluginType properly. Clover has one way of doing it, but you need an SSDT for it on OC and I added one but it had the wrong device type (CPU0 instead of PR00).

So I'm not running under native power management like that. I had issues before that SSDT as well with sleep, but getting native power working may help me, and even if it doesn't fix sleep it's still something that was wrong with my build on OC that gets fixed.

I won't be able to test my changes for a good 6-7 hours, but since you said you have shutdown issues too (I only have sleep issues, and only in OC), that hints at other problems with your config as my shutdown works fine (assuming I don't try to enable native nvram).

@rj510
I'm back in the studio after my vacation.

I tried setting the AVX in BIOS to 3 and it's still crashes on render. I've also try setting 0 with the same result.
Sometime it crashes at 2%and other time at 50 to 80% point, very random. I also tried rendering to different codec.
When it crashes, it will lock up the machine and the only way out is to reboot.

Permission on disk is set to both read and write and I have also try rendering to other hard drive.
Resolve has full permission in System Preferences/Security & Privacy/Privacy/Accessibility section.

There's no OC on CPU and RAM.
I have 32gb of ram and have limit Resolve memory usage to 24gb.
I'm using the Studio Version of Davinci Resolve 16.
Update:
I'm able to render out of DaVinci Resolve 16 if I only use one monitor instead of a dual monitor setup. Each time I have another monitor connected to the Vega 64 GPU for a dual screen setup, the render will fail. The same project render on a 2013 Mac Pro with dual screen setup doesn't seem to have this problem.

I don't think it's OpenCore as MuffinCrumbs eventually got his to work.

I think it's because I didn't patch PluginType properly. Clover has one way of doing it, but you need an SSDT for it on OC and I added one but it had the wrong device type (CPU0 instead of PR00).

So I'm not running under native power management like that. I had issues before that SSDT as well with sleep, but getting native power working may help me, and even if it doesn't fix sleep it's still something that was wrong with my build on OC that gets fixed.

I won't be able to test my changes for a good 6-7 hours, but since you said you have shutdown issues too (I only have sleep issues, and only in OC), that hints at other problems with your config as my shutdown works fine (assuming I don't try to enable native nvram).
Are you using emuvariableuefi along OpenCore? Would you answer my previous message please. I need to get this build working ASAP. I'm very thankful.

Are you using emuvariableuefi along OpenCore? Would you answer my previous message please. I need to get this build working ASAP. I'm very thankful.
I would advise that you stick to Clover and try that RAM fix I posted.

You definitely don't want to mix Clover and OC stuff. EmuVariableUefi is not how you do emulated NVRAM on OC.

On Clover, you will need EmuVariableUefi, and you can use iMac19,1+free2000 driver+headless mode, and it should work. Some people can only use free2000 no matter what they do, depending on hardware, but it works for everyone.

I would advise that you stick to Clover and try that RAM fix I posted.

You definitely don't want to mix Clover and OC stuff. EmuVariableUefi is not how you do emulated nvram on OC.

On Clover, you will need EmuVariableUefi, and you can use iMac19,1+free2000 driver+headless mode and it should work. Some people can only use free2000 no matter what they do, depending on hardware, but it works for everyone.

I'm very thankful, for real. I'll do this today. Any advice on Clover version? VirtualSMC or FakeSMC? Lilu or whatevergreen specific version? Or latest is better?

I'm very thankful, for real. I'll do this today. Any advice on Clover version? VirtualSMC or FakeSMC? Lilu or whatevergreen specific version? Or latest is better?

Latest everything works for me, and I use VirtualSMC.

Back