Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@MuffinCrumbs I am using apple Software RAID. I have 2 2TB drives in a 4TB Raid 0, and 2 3TB Drives in a 6TB Raid 0. Then I have 4 or 5 other drives that I use for storage, and I have a 2.5/3.5 drive bay to load archive stuff that doesn’t need to live in the computer.

I would like a faster importing and transcoding experience in FCPX. I think my best bet would be to have my 256GB NVME for System in one slot, and a 2TB NVME in the other slot for editing, and then backup to the RAIDs which uses for the 4 SATA ports, but I would still need at least 2 more sata ports for the 2 bay drive loader. However 4 more SATA ports, 2 for the drive loader and 2 more for 2 additional backup drives would be sick.
Please see the section SATA Port Limitations from where this excerpt emanates:

Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 5.42.18 AM.png

Bluetooth is no longer working, Bluetooth cannot be disabled and my Logitech MX keyboard is no longer functional. I'll give you the screenshots. Is there anything we can try again before I order the Fenvi?
Bluetooth looks fine in those screenshots. When you say it cannot be disabled, does it mean that this option is grayed out?

Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 5.46.41 AM.png

@CaseySJ , or anyone else who might have an idea...

I've cloned my system a few times in the past week. Eventually at some point I start getting:
"couldn't allocate runtime area". I haven't been able to nail to cause down to anything specific at all. It just happens out of the blue, on almost every drive I have so far.

As an example I spent all yesterday trying to fix my 10.13 drive that was set up wrong. (Clover was injecting everything before following a few suggestions from Casey...) I went through each step and documented everything one change at a time. I moved everything to my L/E, rebuilt/repaired kexts, set the config to detect... It worked. I rebooted the drive several times, booted fine every time. Even ran Logic off of it for about 3 hours...

After that I figured I'd try and methodically go back and repair the Mojave disk I did last week where the same thing eventually happened, randomly giving me couldn't allocate runtime area, then wouldn't reboot after despite multiple attempts, unplugging the machine for a few hours etc...

I cloned the 10.13 disk. After that I removed the original 10.13 disk to eliminate any issues. I set up the EFI correctly removing the USB patches according to the guides, and upgraded 10.13 using the Mojave installer in my applications folder...Installer completed, brought me to my desktop, confirmed 10.14, everything seemed to be fine. I then copied the EFI and updated post install file. After reboot same thing... Couldn't allocate runtime area.

I decided to scrap that since it wasn't working.. Figured I'd boot back into the correctly set up 10.13 drive so I removed the Mojave drive completely, plugged only the 10.13 drive in, F12'd the bios and set the disk. Booted fine, things seemed ok... I cloned the 10.13 drive to a backup, (I did leave have both drives plugged in this time however only one had Clover installed and did not move the EFI until after the clone finished. I.e. I just did a straight ahead CCC backup...

I removed the original drive to be sure then booted from the clone. Boom... Couldn't allocate runtime area.

Starting to bang my head on a wall at this point so I remove the clone. I then Unplugged the machine for 15 seconds and wait for all lights to turn off... Then plugged only the source drive I had just booted and made the clone from. Boom... Couldn't allocate runtime area.

Clearly at this point there is something I'm not grasping about either Clover or NVRAM. The drive will be fie for multiple boots. As soon as I start removing a working drive to confirm is booting correctly I eventually wind up with the same error. Weirdly I never saw this error when my EFI folder was set up poorly... (Where Clover injected everything from the "other" folder.)

I'm completely lost at this point... Things seem to work for multiple boots, as soon as I start making backups then removing drives to avoid issues things go weird on me, when that should be the only way to ensure I'm not interfering with anything.

I'm Lost! Needless to say feeling a little punchy! :banghead: Any ideas??? Is this one of the reasons why some people find themselves requiring the 'free2000' memory fix?

(FYI take your time to respond. Won't be available until late evening/tomorrow night some time... If a request for my EFI is needed no worries, just won't be able to upload until then...)

Just when I think it makes sense everything goes sideways so thank you again! Cheers....

View attachment 430283
Let's check a few things first:
  • What are the makes/models of all of the SSDs in question (both the original and the clone)?
  • Because you're upgrading from High Sierra (10.13), what version of Clover is installed on the original disk?
  • In the CLOVER drivers folder (either drivers64UEFI or drivers/UEFI) what files are present?
    • Is there only 1 memory driver?
    • If so, is it OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi? I continue to recommend this driver at least for initial installation. When the system is fully set up and backed-up, then it's okay to experiment with other drivers such as AptioMemoryFix and OsxAptioFix3Drv.
    • If unsure, please post screenshot of that folder.
  • If you're on Clover 5xxx, has the old drivers64UEFIfolder been renamed or deleted?
    • I usually rename mine to OLD-drivers64UEFI.
    • We can also copy all files from that folder into the new drivers/off folder and then delete drivers64UEFI.

I too have had success upgrading to Catalina eventually. I had quite a few problems updating from my working system, so went back to a clean install of Mojave following your guide exactly. I then updated all Kexts and installed VirtualSMC and Clover 5018. The install then went very smoothly. SMBIOS 19,1 - Sidecar working OK (and everything else as far as I can see)

Looks like it's recognised. Try clicking on the BT icon in the top bar while holding Shift + Option. Then Debug > Reset the BT module
View attachment 430261
I tried this method without success. In addition, once the Bluetooth is blocked, I can't access the debug menu. I have to restart to get a working Bluetooth back.

Bluetooth looks fine in those screenshots. When you say it cannot be disabled, does it mean that this option is grayed out?

View attachment 430286
It's not greyed out, it's just without effect, I can click on disable but nothing happens. In the Finder menu, I have a broken line on the Bluetooth icon and if I click on it, I get the message "Bluetooth not available".

Attachments

• Bluetooth.png
    Bluetooth.png
    122.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Make a full bootable backup first. Please see the build guide section Easy Bootable Backup.
  • It's especially important to back up your Photos and iTunes libraries because those libraries are updated in Catalina. An error during the update could result in loss of data.
  • Then do an in-place upgrade from System Preferences --> Software Update.
See this post for important precautions:

Hi, Casey.

Only to inform. Not your fault, probably mine (or destiny), but following your instructions I obtained a total, complete and absolute disaster. I don't understand what the hell was happened.

I have two PCIe SSD's. One with Windows and boot manager and other one with Mojave. All working perfectly. I followed the instructions. Updated kexts, updated Clover, reboot, and no problem. Then, I connected a 1TB HDD in SATA port, configured CCC, install the script and ran the backup job.

The progress bar goes fine, to the end (no errors), then the script starts. After ten minutes, the machine becomes unresponsive. Slow, laggy... and the script didn't end his job. Five minutes more, and all the PC hangs. No response. OK, I reboot... and there is no boot manager. Only the boot repair from Windows10. I go to command mode Window, to see the Windows data and... there is no data. Only directories, but NO CONTENT. Panic mode ON. I took the SSD's out of PC, mount them in a external enclosure, and connect to the MacBook Air of my wife. At the Windows SSD, only directories and no data. I tried an data rescue software and... no data. The Mojave SSD has a partition, but macOS is unable to mount it. Tried to repair with no luck. SSD's back to PC, boot with a Clover Pen drive to see booteable devices and... nothing. ALL my data (Windows and macOS) is lost.

Any clue of what's happened? :(

@CaseySJ
Hello
1- I do not know if it's an ABWB card or the Fenvi card :crazy:.I attach a photo
2- Is it necessary to connect these 3 cards somewhere?:oops:
3- I changed Pci-e and there is still nothing.
4-I enclose a report IO-registryexplorer
5-If it still does not work can you advise me for a Bluetooth Wifi card please.
Thank you very much for your patientce to my lack of knowledge

Attachments

• Report IO Registry.ioreg
    12.5 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3131.HEIC.zip
    106.2 KB · Views: 68
My Experience Performing
In-Place Upgrade of Mojave 10.14.6 to Catalina 10.15
After performing the upgrade last night, here's a quick summary of my experience. At times I was certain that the upgrade process had crashed or frozen, but in fact it worked. Here's how it went...
  • My SMBIOS: Mac mini 8,1 (with VirtualSMC)
  • Made a full bootable backup of the Mojave SSD.
  • Because my home or user folder is on a different SSD, I made the following backups of that drive:
    • Time Machine.
    • Acronis Backup to Network Attached Storage (NAS).
  • Began the Catalina upgrade from System Preferences --> Software Update.
    • This was an approximately 8.09 GB download.
  • Catalina installer opened a window in Mojave and began the preparation work.
    • When ready, it asked for a reboot.
    • The real install begins after the reboot.
  • When machine rebooted, there were new boot volumes at the Clover Boot Menu.
    • Selected Boot macOS Install from Mojave
    • The standard black screen with a single Apple logo appeared, along with standard boot progress bar.
    • A little past the midway point those short purple horizontal lines appeared.
      • These lines are a symptom of GPU VRAM testing. Nothing to worry about.
    • However, it took almost 5 full minutes before the screen finally switched to a white background and "Installing MacOS Catalina" appeared.
      • I thought the system had crashed or frozen, but glad I waited.
  • Phase 1 of the installation began.
    • The message on screen stated:
      • 25 Minutes Remaining, and then jumped directly to...
      • 16 Minutes Remaining, and then after another long pause (maybe 8 minutes or so) jumped back to...
      • 25 Minutes Remaining.
    • During this entire phase, the progress bar was stuck at about the first letter "l" in Installing MacOS Catalina.
    • It seems this first phase is analogous to the sudden-reboot first phase of Mojave.
    • Anyway, the system auto-rebooted (no graceful countdown) with "25 Minutes Remaining".
  • Back at the Clover Boot Menu, I selected once again:
    • Boot macOS Install from Mojave
  • Phase 2 of the installation began.
    • Once again it took a good 5 minutes or more before the single Apple logo gave way to the white background and the message:
      • "25 Minutes Remaining"
    • And now the progress bar moved forward in a the familiar, normal manner.
    • And the remaining time indicator moved normally as well.
    • Finally there was the familiar graceful countdown for a final reboot.
    • The keyboard and mouse were not responsive during this entire phase.
    • When the countdown ended, it took another 20-30 seconds to reboot the computer automatically.
  • Now back once more at the Clover Boot Menu, the Boot macOS Install from Mojave option was gone (which is, of course, the correct behavior).
    • This is the indication that the setup is complete.
  • I selected Boot macOS from Mojave (will rename the SSD later).
    • Logged into Catalina.
    • Followed a couple of welcome screens.
    • And the system was up and running.
Tested the following -- all successful:
  • Sound
  • WiFi / Biuetooth
  • Handoff / Continuity
  • Sleep / Wake
  • Reboot / Shutdown
  • Network
  • Thunderbolt
However:
  • SideCar on iPad Pro 11" showed only black screen.
    • I have Fenvi FV-T919.
    • Will switch SMBIOS to iMac 19,1 later today or tomorrow.
Some Impressions of Catalina:
  • When connecting an iPad, iPhone or other iOS device, it appears directly in Finder and can be managed through Finder.
    • This enhances the sense of integration between macOS and iOS devices. It's a very welcome change.
  • The new Music app begins by updating the iTunes library and it seems to download new artwork (album covers).
    • Nice to see the former "corporate giant" called iTunes broken up into a handful of more elegant and streamlined applications.
  • The new Photos app also updates the previous Photos library. This can take some time so make sure the computer doesn't sleep or reboot (as an extra precaution).
    • One of the Catalina Public Betas corrupted my Photos library during the update procedure. Thankfully I had a backup.
  • The new Mail app also updates the previous Mail database. This happens relatively quickly.
  • There's a lot more yet to discover (much of it is under the hood), but overall first impressions are quite positive.

Performed update without any hickup, no 2nd phase in my case, just one simple "graceful" restart. Might be due to all SSDTs (while ETH0-SSDT is still not working though).

Last edited:
I tried this method without success. In addition, once the Bluetooth is blocked, I can't access the debug menu. I have to restart to get a working Bluetooth back.

It's not greyed out, it's just without effect, I can click on disable but nothing happens. In the Finder menu, I have a broken line on the Bluetooth icon and if I click on it, I get the message "Bluetooth not available".
There might be an ACPI error. One of the SSDTs or one of the EFI drivers might be bad. Please type this in Terminal:

log show --debug --last boot --predicate 'process == "kernel"' | head -n 700 > ~/Documents/bootlog.txt

This will create a file in your Documents folder called bootlog.txt. Please upload that file.

Also please compress and upload your CLOVER folder, but remove serial numbers from config.plist.

Last edited:
Hi, Casey.

Only to inform. Not your fault, probably mine (or destiny), but following your instructions I obtained a total, complete and absolute disaster. I don't understand what the hell was happened.

I have two PCIe SSD's. One with Windows and boot manager and other one with Mojave. All working perfectly. I followed the instructions. Updated kexts, updated Clover, reboot, and no problem. Then, I connected a 1TB HDD in SATA port, configured CCC, install the script and ran the backup job.

The progress bar goes fine, to the end (no errors), then the script starts. After ten minutes, the machine becomes unresponsive. Slow, laggy... and the script didn't end his job. Five minutes more, and all the PC hangs. No response. OK, I reboot... and there is no boot manager. Only the boot repair from Windows10. I go to command mode Window, to see the Windows data and... there is no data. Only directories, but NO CONTENT. Panic mode ON. I took the SSD's out of PC, mount them in a external enclosure, and connect to the MacBook Air of my wife. At the Windows SSD, only directories and no data. I tried an data rescue software and... no data. The Mojave SSD has a partition, but macOS is unable to mount it. Tried to repair with no luck. SSD's back to PC, boot with a Clover Pen drive to see booteable devices and... nothing. ALL my data (Windows and macOS) is lost.

Any clue of what's happened? :(
So sorry to hear this. Let's see what might have happened:
  • You were just trying to create a backup of your Mojave NVMe SSD to a 1TB HDD?
  • When you formatted the HDD, did you run Disk Utility and then following the 4 steps shown below?
    • Step 1: View --> Show All Devices
    • Step 2: Select parent name of the 1TB HDD (red box, not blue box)
    • Step 3: Select Erase
    • Step 4: Select Scheme GUID Partition Map
      Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 10.08.08 AM.png
  • When setting up Carbon Copy Cloner, did you use the EFIClone-v2.sh script?
  • Have you mounted the 1TB SATA HD on another machine to see what's on it?

Back