Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ
Hello
1- I do not know if it's an ABWB card or the Fenvi card :crazy:.I attach a photo
2- Is it necessary to connect these 3 cards somewhere?:oops:
3- I changed Pci-e and there is still nothing.
4-I enclose a report IO-registryexplorer
5-If it still does not work can you advise me for a Bluetooth Wifi card please.
Thank you very much for your patientce to my lack of knowledge
The photo shows that:
  • You have a PCIe adapter card.
  • But there is no WiFi/BT module.
  • It is not Fenvi and it is not ABWB because both of them contain a WiFi/BT module.
We need a Broadcom 94360 WiFi/BT module such as this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C78VBCD/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

This module is inserted into the PCIe card. And then we connect those antennas to the WiFi/BT module.

My Experience Performing
In-Place Upgrade of Mojave 10.14.6 to Catalina 10.15

After performing the upgrade last night, here's a quick summary of my experience. At times I was certain that the upgrade process had crashed or frozen, but in fact it worked. Here's how it went...
  • My SMBIOS: Mac mini 8,1 (with VirtualSMC)
  • Made a full bootable backup of the Mojave SSD.
  • Because my home or user folder is on a different SSD, I made the following backups of that drive:
    • Time Machine.
    • Acronis Backup to Network Attached Storage (NAS).
  • Began the Catalina upgrade from System Preferences --> Software Update.
    • This was an approximately 8.09 GB download.
  • Catalina installer opened a window in Mojave and began the preparation work.
    • When ready, it asked for a reboot.
    • The real install begins after the reboot.
  • When machine rebooted, there were new boot volumes at the Clover Boot Menu.
    • Selected Boot macOS Install from Mojave
    • The standard black screen with a single Apple logo appeared, along with standard boot progress bar.
    • A little past the midway point those short purple horizontal lines appeared.
      • These lines are a symptom of GPU VRAM testing. Nothing to worry about.
    • However, it took almost 5 full minutes before the screen finally switched to a white background and "Installing MacOS Catalina" appeared.
      • I thought the system had crashed or frozen, but glad I waited.
  • Phase 1 of the installation began.
    • The message on screen stated:
      • 25 Minutes Remaining, and then jumped directly to...
      • 16 Minutes Remaining, and then after another long pause (maybe 8 minutes or so) jumped back to...
      • 25 Minutes Remaining.
    • During this entire phase, the progress bar was stuck at about the first letter "l" in Installing MacOS Catalina.
    • It seems this first phase is analogous to the sudden-reboot first phase of Mojave.
    • Anyway, the system auto-rebooted (no graceful countdown) with "25 Minutes Remaining".
  • Back at the Clover Boot Menu, I selected once again:
    • Boot macOS Install from Mojave
  • Phase 2 of the installation began.
    • Once again it took a good 5 minutes or more before the single Apple logo gave way to the white background and the message:
      • "25 Minutes Remaining"
    • And now the progress bar moved forward in a the familiar, normal manner.
    • And the remaining time indicator moved normally as well.
    • Finally there was the familiar graceful countdown for a final reboot.
    • The keyboard and mouse were not responsive during this entire phase.
    • When the countdown ended, it took another 20-30 seconds to reboot the computer automatically.
  • Now back once more at the Clover Boot Menu, the Boot macOS Install from Mojave option was gone (which is, of course, the correct behavior).
    • This is the indication that the setup is complete.
  • I selected Boot macOS from Mojave (will rename the SSD later).
    • Logged into Catalina.
    • Followed a couple of welcome screens.
    • And the system was up and running.
Tested the following -- all successful:
  • Sound
  • WiFi / Biuetooth
  • Handoff / Continuity
  • Sleep / Wake
  • Reboot / Shutdown
  • Network
  • Thunderbolt
However:
  • SideCar on iPad Pro 11" showed only black screen.
    • I have Fenvi FV-T919.
    • Will switch SMBIOS to iMac 19,1 later today or tomorrow.
Some Impressions of Catalina:
  • When connecting an iPad, iPhone or other iOS device, it appears directly in Finder and can be managed through Finder.
    • This enhances the sense of integration between macOS and iOS devices. It's a very welcome change.
  • The new Music app begins by updating the iTunes library and it seems to download new artwork (album covers).
    • Nice to see the former "corporate giant" called iTunes broken up into a handful of more elegant and streamlined applications.
  • The new Photos app also updates the previous Photos library. This can take some time so make sure the computer doesn't sleep or reboot (as an extra precaution).
    • One of the Catalina Public Betas corrupted my Photos library during the update procedure. Thankfully I had a backup.
  • The new Mail app also updates the previous Mail database. This happens relatively quickly.
  • There's a lot more yet to discover (much of it is under the hood), but overall first impressions are quite positive.

Hi CaseySJ,

First off thanks for the awesome post about installing Mojave on Z390. I followed the instructions to the T and was able to successfully install Mojave. Everything works as expected. My problem starts if I try to do in-place Catalina upgrade. After downloading Catalina from App Store, the computer asks for reboot. After the reboot, I select Install macOS from XXX, it starts booting up but then gets stuck. I wait 5 minutes and the purple lines appear (a normal occurrence), then it tries to enter graphics mode and that point my monitor blanks out saying no signal detected. I am not sure what's going on.

I've attached the boot messages before screen blanks out. EFI folder also attached

EDIT1: I had left the system in blanked out state for >1 hour while I went outside to mow my front lawn :p Came back and forcefully shutdown the system. Then turned on again, at the Clover menu now I see that Clover no longer shows "Install macOS from XXX" but shows normal options. I select my boot drive and then boot process starts until screen blanks out again. I have a feeling that something is up with display resolution. I might try to go back to iGPU and report back

EDIT2: Catalina was indeed successfully installed. However, it appears that it won't show anything on the screen with dGPU. I disconnected dGPU, enabled IGPU in BIOS and booted via Mojave Installer USB. At the boot menu, selected the internal drive. Catalina showed up. However, the resolution is very low. So I still have work to do but for now it confirms that Catalina was installed successfully even though screen blackouts occurred

EDIT3: So confirmed that Catalina is not liking dGPU (RX 590) which is surprising since it was plug n play with Mojave. I'm writing this edit from within Catalina. I booted via Mojave USB Installer and selected internal drive. I'm using iGPU with low resolution.

EDIT4: ISSUE RESOLVED: Here's what I did: I downloaded the latest versions of Lilu, Whatevergreen and AppleALC. Copied those to /L/E and Clover/kexts/Other folders. Then ran Kext Utility. Shutdown the computer. Connected dGPU. Removed HDMI cable from iGPU, and connected back DP cable to DP port on dGPU. Started the computer and booted directly from the internal drive. No screen blackouts and full resolution!!

Attachments

• 20191013_165740140_iOS.jpg
    20191013_165740140_iOS.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 48
  • EFI.zip
    17 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:
@CaseySJ
Thank you for this information.
Ok, I ordered the module from the USA. :thumbup:
Thank you for your help

So sorry to hear this. Let's see what might have happened:
  • You were just trying to create a backup of your Mojave NVMe SSD to a 1TB HDD?
  • When you formatted the HDD, did you run Disk Utilityand then following the 4 steps shown below?
    • Step 1: View --> Show All Devices
    • Step 2: Select parent name of the 1TB HDD (red box, not blue box)
    • Step 3: Select Erase
    • Step 4: Select Scheme GUID Partition Map
      View attachment 430345
  • When setting up Carbon Copy Cloner, did you use the EFIClone-v2.sh script?
  • Have you mounted the 1TB SATA HD on another machine to see what's on it?

Hi, Casey.

Yes to all. Only I'm not sure if using "v2" os EFI Cloning. I think so, but...

Hi CaseySJ,

First off thanks for the awesome post about installing Mojave on Z390. I followed the instructions to the T and was able to successfully install Mojave. Everything works as expected. My problem starts if I try to do in-place Catalina upgrade. After downloading Catalina from App Store, the computer asks for reboot. After the reboot, I select Install macOS from XXX, it starts booting up but then gets stuck. I wait 5 minutes and the purple lines appear (a normal occurrence), then it tries to enter graphics mode and that point my monitor blanks out saying no signal detected. I am not sure what's going on.

I've attached the boot messages before screen blanks out. Will also attach my EFI Folder.

EDIT1: I had left the system in blanked out state for >1 hour while I went outside to mow my front lawn :p Came back and forcefully shutdown the system. Then turned on again, at the Clover menu now I see that Clover no longer shows "Install macOS from XXX" but shows normal options. I select my boot drive and then boot process starts until screen blanks out again. I have a feeling that something is up with display resolution. I might try to go back to iGPU and report back

EDIT2: Catalina was indeed successfully installed. However, it appears that it won't show anything on the screen with dGPU. I disconnected dGPU, enabled IGPU in BIOS and booted via Mojave Installer USB. At the boot menu, selected the internal drive. Catalina showed up. However, the resolution is very low. So I still have work to do but for now it confirms that Catalina was installed successfully even though screen blackouts occurred
@CaseySJ , or anyone else who might have an idea...

I've cloned my system a few times in the past week. Eventually at some point I start getting:
"couldn't allocate runtime area". I haven't been able to nail to cause down to anything specific at all. It just happens out of the blue, on almost every drive I have so far.

As an example I spent all yesterday trying to fix my 10.13 drive that was set up wrong. (Clover was injecting everything before following a few suggestions from Casey...) I went through each step and documented everything one change at a time. I moved everything to my L/E, rebuilt/repaired kexts, set the config to detect... It worked. I rebooted the drive several times, booted fine every time. Even ran Logic off of it for about 3 hours...

After that I figured I'd try and methodically go back and repair the Mojave disk I did last week where the same thing eventually happened, randomly giving me couldn't allocate runtime area, then wouldn't reboot after despite multiple attempts, unplugging the machine for a few hours etc...

I cloned the 10.13 disk. After that I removed the original 10.13 disk to eliminate any issues. I set up the EFI correctly removing the USB patches according to the guides, and upgraded 10.13 using the Mojave installer in my applications folder...Installer completed, brought me to my desktop, confirmed 10.14, everything seemed to be fine. I then copied the EFI and updated post install file. After reboot same thing... Couldn't allocate runtime area.

I decided to scrap that since it wasn't working.. Figured I'd boot back into the correctly set up 10.13 drive so I removed the Mojave drive completely, plugged only the 10.13 drive in, F12'd the bios and set the disk. Booted fine, things seemed ok... I cloned the 10.13 drive to a backup, (I did leave have both drives plugged in this time however only one had Clover installed and did not move the EFI until after the clone finished. I.e. I just did a straight ahead CCC backup...

I removed the original drive to be sure then booted from the clone. Boom... Couldn't allocate runtime area.

Starting to bang my head on a wall at this point so I remove the clone. I then Unplugged the machine for 15 seconds and wait for all lights to turn off... Then plugged only the source drive I had just booted and made the clone from. Boom... Couldn't allocate runtime area.

Clearly at this point there is something I'm not grasping about either Clover or NVRAM. The drive will be fie for multiple boots. As soon as I start removing a working drive to confirm is booting correctly I eventually wind up with the same error. Weirdly I never saw this error when my EFI folder was set up poorly... (Where Clover injected everything from the "other" folder.)

I'm completely lost at this point... Things seem to work for multiple boots, as soon as I start making backups then removing drives to avoid issues things go weird on me, when that should be the only way to ensure I'm not interfering with anything.

I'm Lost! Needless to say feeling a little punchy! :banghead: Any ideas??? Is this one of the reasons why some people find themselves requiring the 'free2000' memory fix?

(FYI take your time to respond. Won't be available until late evening/tomorrow night some time... If a request for my EFI is needed no worries, just won't be able to upload until then...)

Just when I think it makes sense everything goes sideways so thank you again! Cheers....

View attachment 430283
I also met this problem. Looking forward if you have any progress.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although this is difficult to troubleshoot remotely, let's try this:
  • Please post a screenshot of the files in /Library/Extensions
  • After connecting the devices that are managed by Rig Manager, launch Rig Manager and then let's examine the USB ports:
    • Download and run IORegistryExplorer then select File --> Save As... and upload the saved file.
  • Use Rig Manager as you normally would. When USB ports stop working, run IORegistryExplorer once again and repeat the File --> Save As... step to save and upload the IOReg data.
  • Mount EFI partition of your Mojave SSD, open the EFI/CLOVER folder and check for the following:
    • Is USBInjectAll.kext located in CLOVER/kexts/Other?
    • Are SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml and SSDT-EC.aml located in CLOVER/ACPI/patched?

> Please post a screenshot of the files in /Library/Extensions

Library-Extensions.png

See "KristoferG-Rig-Manager" attachment for IORegistryExplorer file . (edit forgot the file - fixed now!)

>Is USBInjectAll.kext located in CLOVER/kexts/Other?

No!

> Are SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml and SSDT-EC.aml located in CLOVER/ACPI/patched?

No - see screenshot:
CLOVER-ACPI-patched.png

> Use Rig Manager as you normally would. When USB ports stop working, run IORegistryExplorer once again and repeat the File --> Save As... step to save and upload the IOReg data.

I don't know how I would do this, at this point I can only reboot.

Attachments

• KristoferG-Rig-Manager.ioreg
    14.2 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Hi CaseySJ,

I've attached the boot messages before screen blanks out. Will also attach my EFI Folder.

EDIT3: So confirmed that Catalina is not liking dGPU (RX 590) which is surprising since it was plug n play with Mojave. I'm writing this edit from within Catalina. I booted via Mojave USB Installer and selected internal drive. I'm using iGPU with low resolution.

Attached my EFI folder.
First of all we must address the elephant...er, hippo in the room. The RX590 should have been fine. Are you using HDMI or DisplayPort? Are you connecting a monitor or a TV?

@tern and others getting black screen during Catalina upgrade:
  • Please see quoted post above. Try doing the installation using on-board video ports, preferably with a USB-C to DisplayPort cable connected to either of the two Thunderbolt/USB-C ports on the rear IO panel.
  • Platform ID in Mojave must be changed to 0x3E9B0007.
  • IGPU must be enabled in BIOS.
  • SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 will not work with this technique.

@CaseySJ
Thank you for this information.
Ok, I ordered the module from the USA. :thumbup:
Thank you for your help
This module should be available in your region as well. Have you searched Amazon or other online retailer for similar parts?

First of all we must address the elephant...er, hippo in the room. The RX590 should have been fine. Are you using HDMI or DisplayPort? Are you connecting a monitor or a TV?

@tern and others getting black screen during Catalina upgrade:
  • Please see quoted post above. Try doing the installation using on-board video ports, preferably with a USB-C to DisplayPort cable connected to either of the two Thunderbolt/USB-C ports on the rear IO panel.
  • Platform ID in Mojave must be changed to 0x3E9B0007.
  • IGPU must be enabled in BIOS.
  • SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 will not work with this technique.
I'm using DP port connected to 32" 2560x1440 monitor.

Back