Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Please try the following, one at a time.
  • Reset CMOS by turning off the system and shorting the two designated pins on motherboard with a flat-head screwdriver. Please refer to Designare User's Manual if unsure.
    • If this solves the problem, STOP.
  • Re-flash the F6 BIOS and set BIOS parameters once again, starting with Save & Exit --> Load Optimized Defaults.
Well, I have tried multiple times. Same results.
No joy.

OK. I spoke too soon.
I tried one more reboot and this time wen with my backup drive. It booted.
However now I tried to sut down so I could restart with my regular drive and i am stuck on the unmount lists!
UGH!

Last edited:
Apologies for the late reply. Some questions/comments:
  • Specifying Type 0x1005 should not affect bootloader behavior.
  • What you're describing ("screen became white instead of black as it normally would be") are two different Clover themes.
    • When we install Clover with TonyMac's UniBeast and MultiBeast, the default theme is the familiar black with a green clover. It's the tonymacx86 theme.
    • When we subsequently download and run Clover Installer package from the internet, that installer defaults to the embedded theme, which is white with gray text.
  • In any case, because Clover is installed into the EFI partition, you have the option of mounting the EFI partition from an earlier bootable backup and dragging-and-dropping that folder into the EFI partition of the Mojave SSD.
    • This will undo the changes made.
  • If you do not have an earlier backup, please compare all files and folders in the CLOVER folder against those shown in the spoiler Final Steps in Post-Installation (build guide, Post #1).
  • If the problem persists, you may compress and upload the CLOVER folder (but remove serial numbers from SMBIOS).
Hi again.
I redid the whole installation, this time directly to 10.14.6 and chose iMac 19.1.
Now everything works perfectly again. Audio, TB3, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, internal UAD PCie etc.
I did however experiment with or without CPU type 0x1005 during this installation, and every time I used 0x1005, the installation crashed during reboots, so I left it blank and it worked.
The clover profile now however, detects the processor correctly.
This time I will go the extra mile and CCC the installation :)

But of course I have a question:

During boot the BIOS boots much slower now before loading Clover. The MB Splash Screen is there "forever".
I set the boot option to load Ultra Fast, but it does not seem to make any difference.
Do you have any tips in this regard?

Again, many thanks for this thread and your patience!

Hello. CJ thanks for the amazing guide. Your attention to detail in provided the step by step walkthrough is much appreciated.

However, I'm kind of stuck. I originally followed this guide back in June to build my first Hackintosh. The installation worked first go and I've been using the machine happily for the past couple of months...

...until yesterday when I got the dreaded contact apple kernel panic. I tried to troubleshoot the issue by reading loads of forum posts here but couldn't figure it out, so I decided to simply start over and reinstall, following the updated guide.

But now I am stuck at step 2 of the installation, which is repeating endlessly. When booting back in to Clover on the USB flash disk I only have the choice: Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Mojave. I have repeated this step a bunch of times and I keep ending up in the same place without ever progressing to step 2.

What I have done so far:
reset Cmos on the MB
flashed Bios to F6 (was F5)
replace the VBoxHfs-64.efi with HFSPlus.efi to get past Clover hanging at scan entries

any thoughts or help much appreciated

Screenshot 2019-09-25 at 15.28.41.png

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.5 KB · Views: 102
thank you very much for you help. really appreciate. Wonderful community!

On my Machine,
- No OC on CPU
- No OC on the Ram
- iGPU is disabled
I will have to check the AVX in Bios and file permission as you suggested. I believe my AVX is on Auto.
Thanks for linking the Davinci Resolve article.

Thankfully I still have the Mac Pro 2013 in the studio so I was able to render out the job for the client. I'm on a 3 weeks break and will try out your suggestion once I'm back in the studio. Thanks again!

Today, Blackmagic released a new test for CPUs and GPU (Metal): RAW Speed Test, v1.5. They have versions for Macs, Win and Linux. Attached is the Mac version. Maybe you'll find it useful.

Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 7.20.39 AM.jpg

Attachments

• Blackmagic RAW Speed Test.app.zip
    30.6 MB · Views: 93
Last edited:
@CaseySJ

I have a strange problem that I cannot figure out. I see that you are using a NVMe card for your macOS and apps, and have split your Home folder onto a separate drive. I'm trying to do this however I started with a SATA SSD, and now I've gone out a purchased a Samsung EVO 970. So I've kinda doing it the other way round. I've cloned my current system drive to the new EVO 970, and can boot off it just fine if I tell it to in the Clover boot loader screen, but I cannot select the EVO 970 in the BIOS as my #1 Boot Disc Option, so that it boots from this every time automatically. Only my old drive and another one I have connected are showing as options...
The NVMe and SATA SSD that you mentioned are both Mac drives, but is the third drive a Windows drive? If so, where is that drive connected? For example:
  • Top NVMe Slot (M2M) -- Mac or Windows
  • Bottom NVMe Slot (M2P) -- Mac or Windows
  • SATA Port <x> -- Mac SSD
The first suggestion is to shutdown the system and flip power switch on the PSU for 10 seconds (or pull power cable from the wall for 10 seconds). Then try booting again -- do you see all 3 drive choices? Do they appear in the F8 boot menu?

On the other hand, if BIOS always chooses Windows as the #1 boot disk, it is most likely because a Windows update installed a Windows boot EFI on your Mac disk. This can be determined by mounting the EFI partition of the Mac disk(s) and checking for a WINDOWS folder in that partition.

However now I tried to sut down so I could restart with my regular drive and i am stuck on the unmount lists!
UGH!
Can you please clarify this sentence...or post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

But of course I have a question:

During boot the BIOS boots much slower now before loading Clover. The MB Splash Screen is there "forever".
I set the boot option to load Ultra Fast, but it does not seem to make any difference.
Do you have any tips in this regard?

Again, many thanks for this thread and your patience!
I've seen this issue several times, but only when I'm frantically troubleshooting or debugging something that requires frequent reboots.

The problem usually goes away with a full shutdown (i.e. shutdown and remove power cable for 10 seconds) or a CMOS Reset (by shorting two pins on motherboard as explained in the Designare User Manual). Please see if this helps...

Hello. CJ thanks for the amazing guide. Your attention to detail in provided the step by step walkthrough is much appreciated.

However, I'm kind of stuck. I originally followed this guide back in June to build my first Hackintosh. The installation worked first go and I've been using the machine happily for the past couple of months...

...until yesterday when I got the dreaded contact apple kernel panic. I tried to troubleshoot the issue by reading loads of forum posts here but couldn't figure it out, so I decided to simply start over and reinstall, following the updated guide.

But now I am stuck at step 2 of the installation, which is repeating endlessly. When booting back in to Clover on the USB flash disk I only have the choice: Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Mojave. I have repeated this step a bunch of times and I keep ending up in the same place without ever progressing to step 2.

What I have done so far:
reset Cmos on the MB
flashed Bios to F6 (was F5)
replace the VBoxHfs-64.efi with HFSPlus.efi to get past Clover hanging at scan entries

any thoughts or help much appreciated

View attachment 427392
Hello @Kristjan,

iMac19,2 is not compatible with USBInjectAll.kext. There is a patched version that will work, but for this system we recommend iMac19,1. Please try again with iMac19,1.

Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 11.21.11 AM.png

I’ve decided to sell my Vega64 and get a Nvidia GPU since I don’t need a lot of GPU power in macOS (mainly office stuff and sometimes Lightroom) and primarily use my GPU in Windows for gaming.

So what’s the best way to use only the IGPU?
I would guess MacMini8,1 would be better than iMac19,1? Right now I’m using iMac19,1, disabled the GPU Slot 1 using an AML file (modified the one from the first page) and I’m also using OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi. But is there a way not to have to use OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi? When I had my Vega64 installed and disabled the IGPU, OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi wasn’t necessary.

Hello @Kristjan,

From the 25 steps listed in Installation Overview (click here), where exactly are you facing the problem?
The problem occurred between steps 10 and 11. I said step 2 in my post but of course should have said phase 2!

However I may have figured it out. I'm installing to an NVMe M.2 so I skipped the change SAT0 to SATA step in the config edit, andI did change the version to 19,1 instead of 19,2 as suggested above. I'm currently reinstalling... so far so good fingers crossed, half way through phase 2 now. i guess the NVMe simply wasn't mounting?

I'll update in a bit!

Back