Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Maybe a dumb question, but the initial post/guide here says to download "MacOS 10.14.2, 10.14.3, 10.14.4, or 10.14.5" but through the App Store, I only seem to be able to download 10.14.6. Will that still work? Does it change anything from the rest of the guide?
I just build my new Hackintosh 2 days ago with 10.14.6 following the 10.14.5 notes, works like a charm!

Quick question I feel like I should know the answer to but I don’t. Is the Radeon RX 5700 XT supported natively by 10.14.6 or 10.15 betas??

If I bought one now for my hack, would I be able to use my Vega 64 to drive the display in MacOS, and run Crossfire when gaming in windows?

any thoughts
We expect the RX 5700 XT to be supported hopefully in an upcoming public beta of Catalina or in the release version.

Yes 10.14.6 should work. I'll update the build guide soon. Apple keeps releasing macOS updates and I have to keep updating the guide... Sometimes there are delays between the two!

Updated from 10.14.5 to 10.14.6 with no problems.

@CaseySJ, do you have any experience with FakePCIid Injectors? Is it an absolute dumb idea to consider using that to get a normal TB implementation?

We can download the Clover installer package ourselves from two locations:
But we should backup the entire EFI folder first and have a USB install disk or other recovery boot disk ready...

If using the TonyMac version, just launch the installer and select the target drive. All settings have already been pre-selected. But it will install AptioMemoryFix or OsxAptioFix3Drv instead of OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000, so some post-install fine-tuning will be needed.

If using the SourceForge version, after launching the installer we need to select the correct target drive and then select Customize.
View attachment 420263View attachment 420264
After that, review the various options in the lists. In particular:
  • Install Clover in the ESP (EFI System Partition).
    • This is important. Must be checked on.
    • But be sure to select the right install disk in screenshot 1 ("Change Install Location...") if necessary.
  • UEFI Drivers.
    • Be sure to avoid AptioMemoryFix and any other OsxAptioDrv driver. Only OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 with "slide=0" is known to work. Others may or may not work under certain circumstances.
    • Select EmuVariableUefi in the "Additional Drivers" sub-list.
  • Install RC scripts on target volume.
    • This should be checked on.

I have updated Clover, used the custom Clover you provided (thank you, BTW!). I ensured I'm using the most up to date version of Whatevergreen and Lilu, searched the thread for both @frickergg and @ummario and tried to duplicate their success but haven't had any luck. I'm still getting stuck at gIOScreenLockState.

@CaseySJ I noticed a peculiar behaviour. I boot up into a black screen on my ultrafine 5K if I have the integrated graphics enabled, as soon as I disable the integrated geaphics the black screen behavior disappears. Am I missing something ?

@CaseySJ I noticed a peculiar behaviour. I boot up into a black screen on my ultrafine 5K if I have the integrated graphics enabled, as soon as I disable the integrated geaphics the black screen behavior disappears. Am I missing something ?

Sorry for a bit off topic.

I just hop in here for a little question because you're on an UltraFine 5K.

Do you get the full resolution out of the display (5K / 2560x1440 Retina)?
Would be nice to read from you, because I want to build the same hack, maybe another graphics card, but the display is very important to me.

Thanks.

• @CaseySJ, do you have any experience with FakePCIid Injectors? Is it an absolute dumb idea to consider using that to get a normal TB implementation?
We're using FakePCIID to add an extra sub-vendor ID for the on-board i211 Ethernet port so that the SmallTreeIntel82576 kext will attach. But this method is not applicable to Thunderbolt.

Attached is a modified Thunderbolt SSDT for Falcon Ridge (not for Designare Z390 or any Titan Ridge system). This one nulls out two devices that are present by default on the Asus X99 (H000 and D07C) so it will be necessary to replace them with any default device present in your DSDT. Also note that this attaches to PCI0.BR1A so that too should be modified.

I can modify this for your motherboard, but will need the following:
  • DSDT.aml
  • PCI path for Thunderbolt (is it PCI0.RP05, PCI0.BR1A, etc.?)
By the way, hot-plug is not currently working with Falcon Ridge and this SSDT. Will continue to work on it though.

Attachments

• SSDT-X99-TB3HP-FALCON.aml
    7.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I have updated clover, used the custom clover you provided(thank you, btw!), ensured im using the most up to date version of Whatevergreen and Lilu, searched the thread for both @frickergg and @ummario and tried to duplicate their success but haven't had luck. Im still getting stuck at gIOScreenLockState
If you can borrow an AMD RX 560, 570, 580, or Vega card it might be worth a quick test. In that case, we should disable IGPU in BIOS and remove "Inject Intel" as well as the Devices --> Properties entry for the iGPU.

Back