Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

That is not the new 5K monitor that was announced today. That is the first one. It doesn’t support DisplayPort 1.4 over USB-C /Thunderbolt 3
I dont quite get your point. Since I am using the same setting. DP 1.4 to DP 1.4 (GPU to mobo), and TB 3 out to monitor?

Edit: my mistake, read it again. I am using the previous 5@

Last edited:
What is the make/model of your Vega GPU?

Please try enabling CSM Support in BIOS. Does it make a difference?
There is also a problem that fans continue to rotate. I will not wake up from sleep. I do not know the cause.

Just make sure you can see it in Graphics/Displays. From my limited knowledge of SSDTs they are used in defining the system and can help things moving forward. They are not drivers but more of definitions (anybody correct me if I'm wrong) Many times I have seen things in PCI added from a custom SSDT that I've tried, but there really is no functionality, just that the Mac expects something to be there.

Like I said previously, on my system, if you add Casey's custom SSDT for RX580 then my Radeon VII will show up in PCI

View attachment 419383
Thanks for a quick response. Even under graphics, it appears as ATI Radeon 16 GB, and for items like Metal it simply says Supported, the string “featureset macOS GPUFamily2 v1 “ is absent.

Just make sure you can see it in Graphics/Displays. From my limited knowledge of SSDTs they are used in defining the system and can help things moving forward. They are not drivers but more of definitions (anybody correct me if I'm wrong) Many times I have seen things in PCI added from a custom SSDT that I've tried, but there really is no functionality, just that the Mac expects something to be there.

Like I said previously, on my system, if you add Casey's custom SSDT for RX580 then my Radeon VII will show up in PCI

View attachment 419383
just FYI, this is what it shows. and not to forget to mention, Ultrafine going black issue.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 11.43.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 11.43.23 PM.png
    433.1 KB · Views: 62
I purchased it as soon as it was announced. It will be delivered on Friday. Stay tuned.
Looking forward to your review! Hope the build quality is commensurate with the price.

There is also a problem that fans continue to rotate. I will not wake up from sleep. I do not know the cause.
I wonder if the VBIOS of the GPU was modified. Is this a new or used item? If you bought it used, was it used for crypto currency mining? If you bought it new, it might be worth returning/replacing.

What is the specific make/model?

Hello CaseySJ.

I have managed to install Mojave 10.14.6 using a Unibeast USB stick made from the 10.14.6 installer.

Things mostly work on my main system, almost the same as yours apart from the CPU (9700KF vs 9700K).

Unfortunately, the system just refused to shutdown and just restarted whenever I tried to shutdown from Mojave (and also Sierra where no resolution has yet been found). Shutting down from High Sierra works.

I tried applying those fixes in your guide but they didn't help. Finally I found that I need to add "slide=0" (without quotes) to the boot arguments in config.plist and add the file EmuVariableUefi-64.efi to the EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder in the EFI partition to fix the shutdown problem.

However, this brought another problem : frequently the system just displayed the Apple Prohibitory symbol soon after trying to boot into Mojave. I had to press the reset button to restart the computer for the system to be able to boot into Mojave (a soft reset using Ctrl-Alt-Del did not work). Removing the file EmuVariableUefi-64.efi from the EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder in the EFI partition fixed the boot problems but then Mojave refused to shutdown.

I am thinking to leave the shutdown problem there and just use the power button to shutdown the system after a restart.
Hello Mr. Bond,

In addition to EmuVariable, we should check whether Clover’s RC scripts are installed. Do you see a file called nvram.plist in the EFI folder of the EFI partition?

Additionally, please enable verbose mode by adding “-v” to Boot Arguments so we can see what causes the occasional Prohibitory Symbol.

I wonder if the VBIOS of the GPU was modified. Is this a new or used item? If you bought it used, was it used for crypto currency mining? If you bought it new, it might be worth returning/replacing.

What is the specific make/model?
It is Asus. This is new. Need to introduce EmuVariableUefi-64? My GPU worked fine in the previous state of your presentation. It is likely that something changed in the SSDT and drivers64UEFI folder is causing the problem. Or Config-prist?

@Yobuild & @CaseySJ! I think I found a solution to this problem. Here goes:

A few weeks ago, I was almost done building and testing my system when I noticed that no matter what I did, I was having a strange frame-drop behavior on Heaven and Valley benchmarks. The problem consist on sporadic but persistent and very noticeable FPS drops on a high end card (such as my VEGA 64 Reference edition from Sapphire) on both Heaven and Valley benchmarks. The problem is not present when using other graphically intense applications, for me (and for @Yobuild at least) it only happens when running those two benchmarks.

The past week I was caught by the marathon of people experimenting with alternatives to OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000, so I decided I was going to give a try to some of those approaches using AptioMemoryFix, that led me to remove OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 and I thought: I might also remove EmuVariableUefi, because I don't need iMessage and FaceTime. So I did. I was surprised to see that I was having Kernel Panics on Shutdown and Reboot (everything was getting worst by the second at this point). You can practically read my desperation in this post.

So I decided I was going to perform a fresh install to go back to the good old days of having one problem instead of two. And so I did. Again, Kernel Panics on Shutdown and Reboot. It seemed I was about to collect my third problem when @rj510 pointed out in this post that AptioMemoryFix.efi requires EmuVariableUefi.efi to avoid panic re-boots. Hmm, I didn't know that. A second after that (remember this was my second fresh install of the night?) I realized it was never necessary to re-install macOS, it was just a matter of getting the right combination of files.

Ok so, booted for the third time to a freshly installed macOS. Reboot and.. voila, no Kernel Panic. So that was the solution to a problem I generated myself. BUT, what about the VEGA 64 and Valley/Heaven issue??? You may say. It was also gone!!! I was so happy, I don't know what it was, but it was gone and I get the chance to be happy with my machine again. So, I hurry myself up to move to post-install, did everything right. Since I had a previous installation, I copied my EFI folder from before to the new created EFI partition on my Mojave disc. Reboot (this time with no KP) and proceeded to benchmark the entire system. And to my surprise.. Heaven and Valley are performing with sporadic but persistent and very noticeable FPS drops on my VEGA 64 Reference edition from Sapphire.

That led me to believe that it was the EFI folder (or some driver or kext in it) that was causing the issue. So I proceeded to spend the night debugging my EFI folder. That is, testing every combination and versions of boot loader, drivers, kexts, etc. I initially started with the install EFI folder (the one present on the USB drive when you install the OS) and from there I added one by one the files of my old EFI folder (the one that was causing the issues with the GPU) until I had a hit.

The file causing the issue was ACPISensors.kext

From there, I proceded to create a new EFI folder using VirtualSMC in combination with AptioMemoryFix and EmuVariableUefi and Clover 5018 with all the latest versions of the kexts needed for the GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE, which can be found attached on this post.

The specific version of ACPISensors.kext causing the issue on my system is the version of the driver modified by KGP, which is attached on the first thread of this guide.

I guess one can choose to avoid using ACPISensors.kext or try a different version and see if that works better or just skip FakeSMC.kext and all its companion drivers and stick to VirtualSMC, following @CaseySJ guidelines detailed on the first thread of this thread.

I also noticed another side effect of using ACPISensors.kext:

When using this driver, iStats Menus performs in a weird way when moving between the different drop down menus from the monitor sensors. It's like the data or update frequency of the app was shown choppy (which is also consistent with the sinptoms observed in Heaven and Valley)

Attached, find my EFI folder. This folder is a Vanilla implementation of Clover 5018 based on the work made by @CaseySJ. It uses VirtualSMC in combination with AptioMemoryFix and EmuVariableUefi. Just replace the values for Serial Number, SmUUID and Board Serial Number on SMBIOS and Rt Variables (copy Board Serial Number to MLB field) tabs. I believe it is also prepared for a direct update to 10.14.6, which I wil try out in the next few days.

I now have zero problems on my build. Here are some pictures of the before and after states of the situation:

With ACPISensors.kext:

View attachment 418428

Without ACPISensors.kext:

View attachment 418430

Altough there is a minor improve in general performance here, the important parameter here is Min FPS, which is 3 times higher by just removing the ACPISensors.kext, resulting in a smoother and higher frame rate across the scenes.

I also want to clarify that I don't have the minor clue on why this happens on this specific conditions, I just know it does. I really hope my experience on this matter and my EFI folder is useful to someone.

Nevertheless, @Yobuild I would like to ask you to try my EFI folder if possible (or just remove ACPISensors.kext) and launch Heaven and Valley to see if the fix does something for your system as well or if it's just mine.

Cheers!

@Yobuild & @CaseySJ! I think I found a solution to this problem. Here goes:

-------%<-------

I now have zero problems on my build. Here are some pictures of the before and after states of the situation:

With ACPISensors.kext:

View attachment 418428

Without ACPISensors.kext:

View attachment 418430

Altough there is a minor improve in general performance here, the important parameter here is Min FPS, which is 3 times higher by just removing the ACPISensors.kext, resulting in a smoother and higher frame rate across the scenes.

I also want to clarify that I don't have the minor clue on why this happens on this specific conditions, I just know it does. I really hope my experience on this matter and my EFI folder is useful to someone.

Nevertheless, @Yobuild I would like to ask you to try my EFI folder if possible (or just remove ACPISensors.kext) and launch Heaven and Valley to see if the fix does something for your system as well or if it's just mine.

Cheers!
Hi
Thanks for the great effort you and the other guys have put into this build
I tried the EFI attachment from your post with great success, my system is running very stable at the moment and I can't find anything (as yet) that doesn't work properly
I also tried the Engine Valley benchmark as well and got results better than your own, which I thought strange, as I have an i7 processor not i9 and I was running at higher resolution with what I thought was a lower specified GPU (Radion RX 580)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-07-31 at 04.38.33.png
    Screenshot 2019-07-31 at 04.38.33.png
    195.9 KB · Views: 80
Hi
Thanks for the great effort you and the other guys have put into this build
I tried the EFI attachment from your post with great success, my system is running very stable at the moment and I can't find anything (as yet) that doesn't work properly
I'm glad!
I also tried the Engine Valley benchmark as well and got results better than your own, which I thought strange, as I have an i7 processor not i9 and I was running at higher resolution with what I thought was a lower specified GPU (Radion RX 580)
That's because your settings are different. To test Unigine Valley (or Heaven) I use a Custom preset with every possible setting maxed out. That includes Vsync ON, Antialiasing ON (x8), Maximum resolution (that you got right, it's 2160x1440) and Ultra Quality.

Mine settings:

IMG_20190731_101408.png

Your settings:

IMG_20190731_101515.png

Try again with different settings,

Cheers!

Back