Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hey Guys,

I am also running a 5k LG Ultrafine and have it running in 5k using this guide. I've never got Thunderbolt to work (I also have 2 LG Ultrafine 4ks). I've tested thunderbolt devices and USB3 drives. I have seen others getting LG Ultrafine 5K working with camera, audio etc but it seems like those who did were using another MB with the GB Titan Ridge add on card. Right now I have a Radeon VII in slot 1 (that's the one closest to the CPU right?) and have DisplayPort 1.4 plugged into the Designare. I am using the SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-V2.aml (but I still show Radeon VII). One concern I have is that the SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4.aml in the post-install-files package does not have the .aml extension on it. I always just add this but I don't know if that was on purpose or not. Does anybody have a LG UF 5K running with camera, usb etc using the top TB3 port on the Designare?

Also, running 10.14.6

Hi JayShay,

Got LG Ultrafine 5K via RX580->Designare->Monitor. Camera, USB on the back, audio - everything works perfectly. Been seeing two displays instead of one, but fixed it with making iGPU headless. BIOS also shows up on screen. hotplugging the display after boot doesn't work as far as I remember (don't need it). Custom USB map via Hackintool, but everything worked with USBInjectAll before. Don't have any other Thunderbolt devices to check.

@JayShay, just a quick note about the .aml extension. Finder hides those extensions by default. Just select Get Info and disable the checkbox next to “Hide Extension”.

Since it seems others got it working consistently, should I try reinstalling from scratch? Im not sure what else to keep trying at the moment.

Hi JayShay,

Got LG Ultrafine 5K via RX580->Designare->Monitor. Camera, USB on the back, audio - everything works perfectly. Been seeing two displays instead of one, but fixed it with making iGPU headless. BIOS also shows up on screen. hotplugging the display after boot doesn't work as far as I remember (don't need it). Custom USB map via Hackintool, but everything worked with USBInjectAll before. Don't have any other Thunderbolt devices to check.

If you unplug your monitor while fully booted into macOS does the monitor stop working for some time after?

My issue is Ive got it working with camera and everything perfectly, but every now and then it stops working and I get a black screen during macOS boot.

Did you follow this guide exactly?

Im sorry, im just trying to rule out possible variables. I think im probably just going to start from scratch and see if that changes anything.

@JayShay, just a quick note about the .aml extension. Finder hides those extensions by default. Just select Get Info and disable the checkbox next to “Hide Extension”.

Hi Casey, yes, It does hide that file's extension. All good thank you.

Hi JayShay,

I will try the custom USB map. Maybe there is something there

If you unplug your monitor while fully booted into macOS does the monitor stop working for some time after?

My issue is Ive got it working with camera and everything perfectly, but every now and then it stops working and I get a black screen during macOS boot.

Did you follow this guide exactly?

Im sorry, im just trying to rule out possible variables. I think im probably just going to start from scratch and see if that changes anything.

I think my Radeon VII is the wildcard here. But yes, mostly followed and am using VirtualSMC to stop the annoying lag in iStat Menus.

I've never had a full PCI area in system profiler and only get the RadeonVII to show up here if I use the SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-V2.aml. Other users is chock full of stuff in the PCI area.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-26 at 7.53.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-26 at 7.53.15 PM.png
    440.4 KB · Views: 69
Hi JayShay,

So you're NOT using the custom aml provided in the guide for your USB config, correct? I may try that and see if it changes things for me.

These latest kexts remove the pink lines on boot with the latest Mojave 10.14.6: Lilu (1.3.8) and WhatEverGreen (1.3.1).

Attachments

• Lilu.kext.zip
    59.3 KB · Views: 94
  • WhateverGreen.kext.zip
    194.9 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
had a problem, solved it, tried to delete this message, couldn't. sorry! the hackintosh still works great though.

Last edited:
Back