Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

hi what card would you recommend for firefire 400 / 800 in this build ?

Do you have this option checked in Finder --> Preferences?
View attachment 417175
No, I have not. Just external disks :) On my iMac does the SSD show up properly as external. But okay, that's a minor thing then. Thanks for your advice! :)

Anyway, I managed to install liquidctl. Had to download Python3, pip, PyUSB, cython-hidapi, and libusb (needed to build the latter two by simply running "./configure" followed by "./make" and "sudo ./make install". But I'm unable to unload com.apple.driver.usb.IOUSBHostHIDDevice in order to avoid [Errno 13] Access denied (insufficient permissions).

So I'm curious if you're successfully controlling your NZXT AIO with liquidctl...

I actually ran into that issue as well when I was initially setting up my build (I'm running a Kraken X72). And if you grabbed the latest normal release or installed it via pip, you will always run into this issue. Similarly I could not unload the USB kext either.
I believe they did something with HID support after that latest stable release which improved compatibility, and indeed, after installing the newest release candidate version things worked without a hitch, no additional steps needed.
You can simply upgrade your liquidctl via pip by explicitly specifying the version you want:
Bash:
pip install liquidctl==1.2.0rc1

hi what card would you recommend for firefire 400 / 800 in this build ?
There are several choices:

Startech Firewire
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-565#post-1981341

Vantec 2+1 FireWire PCIe card - Works only in the PCIEX8 slot
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-516#post-1975173

SYBA Low Profile PCI-Express 1394B/A Firewire Card Model SD-PEX30009
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-485#post-1969904

You can also use an Apple Firewire-to-TB2 adapter connected to an Apple TB2-to-TB3 adapter and plug it into one of the two Thunderbolt ports on the rear panel. This avoids having to plug any cards in the PCIe slots. More details here:
F400->F800->Thunderbolt1/2->Thunderbolt 3
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-403#post-1950057

Also see Solving shutdown problem with Firewire card installed.

EDIT: This information can be helpful to a wider audience so the following section has been added to build guide:

Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 9.41.20 AM.png

Last edited:
I actually ran into that issue as well when I was initially setting up my build (I'm running a Kraken X72). And if you grabbed the latest normal release or installed it via pip, you will always run into this issue. Similarly I could not unload the USB kext either.
I believe they did something with HID support after that latest stable release which improved compatibility, and indeed, after installing the newest release candidate version things worked without a hitch, no additional steps needed.
You can simply upgrade your liquidctl via pip by explicitly specifying the version you want:
Bash:
pip install liquidctl==1.2.0rc1
Awesome, thanks! Yes I grabbed the latest normal or released version via pip. Will try the 1.2.0 Release Candidate this evening.

Last edited:
Hi, guys! I have the same machine. Does anyone know how to install one of the Gigabyte Alpine Ridge PCI-E? Is it plug and play?
I have TB2 devices that's why I ask.
Alpine Ridge is also Thunderbolt 3, but an older chipset compared to Titan Ridge. Both Alpine Ridge and Titan Ridge support TB2 via adapters such as:
Because the Designare Z390 has on-board Thunderbolt, it does not have a Thunderbolt Header on the motherboard, which is required by add-in-cards such as "GC-Alpine Ridge" and "GC-Titan Ridge".

Alpine Ridge is also Thunderbolt 3, but an older chipset compared to Titan Ridge. Both Alpine Ridge and Titan Ridge support TB2 via adapters such as:
Because the Designare Z390 has on-board Thunderbolt, it does not have a Thunderbolt Header on the motherboard, which is required by add-in-cards such as "GC-Alpine Ridge" and "GC-Titan Ridge".

Thanks, then maybe I'll ask like this.

Is there any card I can install that has TB2?

Thanks, then maybe I'll ask like this.

Is there any card I can install that has TB2?
A lot of people with this motherboard are already using their Thunderbolt 2 devices with a simple TB2-to-TB3 adapter such as the two I mentioned in previous post. I have Apple's adapter, and it works quite well. Any reason you don't want to try that solution?

Back