Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

A lot of people with this motherboard are already using their Thunderbolt 2 devices with a simple TB2-to-TB3 adapter such as the two I mentioned in previous post. I have Apple's adapter, and it works quite well. Any reason you don't want to try that solution?

Yes basically 2 reasons.
I'm building a music studio PC so people will bring their audio card for more DSP or more I/O. And mainly they are using UAD TB2 stuff.
So I figure why not install a TB2 card as the dongle itself is 50-70 euro.

Having recently assembled an Asus X99 Deluxe-II Hackintosh (thanks to @kgp's guide) with an NZXT Kraken 52 AIO, I noticed that the NZXT logo looks a little skewed -- a bit tilted up and to the right. But I see that yours is the same. Will have to keep my OCD in check and just deal with it! :)

Anyway, I managed to install liquidctl. Had to download Python3, pip, PyUSB, cython-hidapi, and libusb (needed to build the latter two by simply running "./configure" followed by "./make" and "sudo ./make install". But I'm unable to unload com.apple.driver.usb.IOUSBHostHIDDevice in order to avoid [Errno 13] Access denied (insufficient permissions).

So I'm curious if you're successfully controlling your NZXT AIO with liquidctl...

View attachment 417106

Oh god... thanks... didn't notice it was skewed.... I have to rebuild..... Just kidding, yeah I noticed it, and spent some time trying to get it to line up straight and it just won't... drives me a bit nuts... Now that I moved this setup from my NZXT case to the Core P3, I'm planning on installing a Corsair Closed Loop (rigid tube)... for looks and also to address the second part of your message...

Oh I would love to say I am controlling my Kraken from inside macOS, but I ran in to the exact same issue you did... Today I'm controlling it all from inside Windows, and then rebooting over to macOS, seems to work. BUT... the closed loop is supposed to remove ALL of my fears and worries... why you ask... I have no logical response, it just seems to me that with the closed loop I can run with more cooling at a quieter level and feel much better about the times I push this machine hard (running overclocked to 5.2GHz). It's all about peace of mind.

So I see you are running your Video card Vertical. Can I ask, do you still have the ability to access the other PCIe slots? In my machine I have my 1x PCIe card holding the bluetooth/802.11 card, and I have a 10Gbps (x4 PCIe) card. I'll need to still have those in slots, but when I move to the closed loop I want to move the Radeon to vertical. Just not sure if that will still work, or will I need to get extensions for the other two cards and run them vertical also??

Last, note, I plan on trying OpenCore (on a clone of drive). I saw you talk about OpenCore and how your hoping it will lead to a more Mac Thunderbolt environment, etc..) My question is have you gotten it running on the Designare?

Thanks, and the x99 looks fantastic!!!

Hiya,

Back from the field. We wont accept defeat !!

To resume my situation:
I was not able to upgrade to Catalina Public Beta without ending with a Kernel panic. Casey nicely told me how to reset the system to be able to boot with another disk again.

So, I triple checked everything was in place in BIOS / Clover / L E / EFI Kexts etc..
Tried a few more times changing target disk and failed with the same Kernel panic. (every time I carefully selected the target disk in Bios first, then in Clover.. thanks for the clarification )

Then, I made a bootable USB key with Catalina Installer using the terminal command. Created an EFI on it with Clover Boot Installer and Updated Clover and kexts there.
Same thing with target disk EFI.

Booted from USB key, and :

Hello Catalina !!!

So, if someone is in the same situation...

Everythings seems to work except :
_CCC is beta only.
_Britghness Native Display is off.
_Start up is a bit slower (more code lines before you enter password, and also slower after that, before you enter Mac OS )

I would still like to keep my original Mojave installation and be able to upgrade from there like other did without problems.

Casey, would it be to much to ask for your EFI folder so I can test with it ?

I also changed my config to iMacPro 19.1 following @svandive and @nifranza posts. Do you guys have tried to install the Catalina Beta already ? Would you also share your EFI so I can try, as we have the same configuration?

@nifranza When I was in Headless mode, I saw the Intel UHD processor bar move in iStat only when I converted videos To H264 in Final Cut.

Thanks !

P.S. @casey, your logo reminds me of what this guy does https://www.artstation.com/jerryperkins1447 .
Very talented guy and dedicated to his community as you are.

Oh god... thanks... didn't notice it was skewed.... I have to rebuild..... Just kidding, yeah I noticed it, and spent some time trying to get it to line up straight and it just won't... drives me a bit nuts... Now that I moved this setup from my NZXT case to the Core P3, I'm planning on installing a Corsair Closed Loop (rigid tube)... for looks and also to address the second part of your message...
  • Freshman level: Air cooler
  • Sophomore level: Liquid All-in-One
  • Junior level: Flexible or soft tube custom loop
  • Senior level: Full rigid custom loop
I have just graduated from Sophomore level and fully expect to finish the entire curriculum soon! :) We would love to see your senior-level project. The Core P3 build already looks lovely! Love the open-air design.

Oh I would love to say I am controlling my Kraken from inside macOS, but I ran in to the exact same issue you did... Today I'm controlling it all from inside Windows, and then rebooting over to macOS, seems to work. BUT... the closed loop is supposed to remove ALL of my fears and worries... why you ask... I have no logical response, it just seems to me that with the closed loop I can run with more cooling at a quieter level and feel much better about the times I push this machine hard (running overclocked to 5.2GHz). It's all about peace of mind.
Have you seen this post by @byteminer?

So I see you are running your Video card Vertical. Can I ask, do you still have the ability to access the other PCIe slots? In my machine I have my 1x PCIe card holding the bluetooth/802.11 card, and I have a 10Gbps (x4 PCIe) card. I'll need to still have those in slots, but when I move to the closed loop I want to move the Radeon to vertical. Just not sure if that will still work, or will I need to get extensions for the other two cards and run them vertical also??
On the Cougar Gemini T case there is a built-in vertical mount for GPUs that is recessed away from the standard PCIe slot openings. With Phanteks' 220mm 90-degree x16 PCIe riser cable, I was easily able to route the cable away from two PCIe cards in that motherboard. The cable rises (bad pun) above existing PCIe cards without obstruction. But for me 220mm is just right. Something a little longer would work as well, but the common 200mm cables will not.

Last, note, I plan on trying OpenCore (on a clone of drive). I saw you talk about OpenCore and how your hoping it will lead to a more Mac Thunderbolt environment, etc..) My question is have you gotten it running on the Designare?
I am determined to get this done. I have received fully working OpenCore configurations for the Designare Z390 from other members (@rj510 and @MuffinCrumbs) but I'll be out of town next week, hence the delay.

Thanks, and the x99 looks fantastic!!!
Thank you. It looks far nicer in person (may have to use a tripod and a dSLR to give it justice). But the RGB RAM arrived today so it should be even more lit!

Thanks, then maybe I'll ask like this.

Is there any card I can install that has TB2?

This motherboard doesn't support installing a Thunderbolt PCIe card. The motherboard would require what is called a Thunderbolt Header.

Hello Catalina !!!
Good job!

So, if someone is in the same situation...

Everythings seems to work except :
_CCC is beta only.
_Britghness Native Display is off.
_Start up is a bit slower (more code lines before you enter password, and also slower after that, before you enter Mac OS )
I did a second install of Catalina a week or two ago. This was a brand new fresh install onto a spare SATA SSD connected via a USB 3 SSD enclosure. After removing the -v boot flag, the system boots up rather quickly despite the USB 3 overhead. In this build all third-party kexts are installed only in CLOVER/kexts/Other. Everything works except for built-in Audio. Haven't spent much time debugging this, but HDMI-audio and DP-audio and USB-audio are all fine.

I would still like to keep my original Mojave installation and be able to upgrade from there like other did without problems.

Casey, would it be to much to ask for you EFI folder so I can test with it ?
I followed a more streamlined procedure for this fresh install in which the EFI folder on the USB install disk already had all of the post-installation modifications in place. So after the Catalina install, I could just blindly copy the EFI folder from USB to Catalina SSD. No need for USB port limit patches or anything else because the USB install disk was already fully configured.

So it's quite easy to do this:
  • Copy the entire working EFI folder to the EFI Partition of a new USB install disk.
  • Run Clover Configurator and change the SMBIOS on the USB install disk.
    • If using the same SMBIOS name (such as Mac mini 8,1) just change the Serial Number and Board Serial Number.
    • In my case, I switched to iMac19,1 so new serial numbers were assigned automatically.
  • Then copy all the necessary third-party kexts into CLOVER/kexts/Other.
    • Be sure to update to latest Lilu, WhateverGreen, and AppleALC.
    • If using VirtualSMC, update to latest versions of VirtualSMC.efi and VirtualSMC.kext (yes both). Also update the VirtualSMC sensor kexts.
P.S. @casey, your logo reminds me of what this guy does https://www.artstation.com/jerryperkins1447 .
Very talented guy and dedicated to his community as you are.
That's a wonderful gallery of his work! My logo is just a cropped image of the Raijintek Orcus liquid all-in-one.

Yes basically 2 reasons.
I'm building a music studio PC so people will bring their audio card for more DSP or more I/O. And mainly they are using UAD TB2 stuff.
So I figure why not install a TB2 card as the dongle itself is 50-70 euro.
This motherboard doesn't support installing a Thunderbolt PCIe card. The motherboard would require what is called a Thunderbolt Header.
@gundogg9999,

We cannot install any other Thunderbolt controllers on this system, but we can exploit the daisy-chaining feature of Thunderbolt like this:
  • Connect a TB2-to-TB3 adapter on one of the Thunderbolt ports on the back panel.
  • Connect a TB2 Audio Device to this adapter.
  • Then User A can connect their TB2 Audio Device to the adapter.
  • If that device has a Thunderbolt pass-through port, then User B can connect their TB2 Audio Device to that port.
  • And if User B's Audio Device also has a pass-through port, then User C can daisy chain off of User B.
  • And User D can daisy chain off of User C.
A daisy chain is limited to 6 devices.

But the Designare Z390 has 2 on-board Thunderbolt ports. Each one can be daisy chained.

You could theoretically connect 12 Thunderbolt 2 devices using only two TB2-to-TB3 adapters.

Thanks @CaseySJ for the reply :)

To troubleshoot the kernel panics and graphics glitches let's start with some background information:
  • I believe this was a fresh installation of Mojave 10.14.5.
  • Yes, it was a fresh install of Mojave 10.14.5
Were any applications and documents migrated from an existing Mac?​
No.​
Were new applications and/or drivers installed for any third-party apps or devices?
Only few... Alfred, iStatMenues, BOINC with some projects for testing how hot the cpu would get, when in 100% usage. A mac driver for a cheap wlan/bluetooth dongle. (I will get a ABWB 802,11 AC WI-FI + Bluetooth 4.0 PCI-Express (PCI-E) BCM943602CS Combo in the next days.)​
Are you running in headless mode with Platform ID 0x3E980003?
  • Feel free to compress and upload your CLOVER folder from EFI Partition of Mojave SSD.
    • You may remove serial numbers from SMBIOS section of config.plist.
    • I think so... The igpu should be configured that no display would be driven. And I have chosen an iMac 19,1 as the platform. I hope that this is correct :/

Do you have a monitor that accepts HDMI or DisplayPort?

At the moment no, I don't. But I have bought an adapter that converts DVI to DisplayPort. But when I tried it with my Cinema Display it wasn't really working well. (Smaller resolution, black screen a couple of times, etc.)

I think there's somehow a conflict with the window server. At least the weird graphics would suggest that, I think. I also added a photo I did, when some of these graphics glitches showed up.

Again a big, big thank you and greetings from Austria :)

Wawanee

Attachments

• config.plist
    9.6 KB · Views: 78
  • CLOVER.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 73
  • FE610F47-842A-4A2B-8FC2-964163FCED59.jpeg
    FE610F47-842A-4A2B-8FC2-964163FCED59.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 75
Hi, @CaseySJ
I purchased your same 9 pin USB splitter but even if I configured my port with in 15 port actually for test at moment I have only 2 USB 2.0 in the back panel for mouse and keyboard and one internal USB 2.0 so total 4 port hs , when I connect the splitter in the internal port configured as internal with 255 and on this splitter I connect anything's ...( Bluetooth ,Corsair cooling, rgb fan the machine is not going to sleep but is wearing up,if on this internal port I remove the splitter and I use as single port is working perfectly ,.
Do you have any suggestion , can u explain me why is gave me this issue

I actually ran into that issue as well when I was initially setting up my build (I'm running a Kraken X72). And if you grabbed the latest normal release or installed it via pip, you will always run into this issue. Similarly I could not unload the USB kext either.
I believe they did something with HID support after that latest stable release which improved compatibility, and indeed, after installing the newest release candidate version things worked without a hitch, no additional steps needed.
You can simply upgrade your liquidctl via pip by explicitly specifying the version you want:
Bash:
pip install liquidctl==1.2.0rc1
Awesome, thanks! Yes I grabbed the latest normal or released version via pip. Will try the 1.2.0 Release Candidate this evening.
Confirmed! Version 1.2.0rc1 works perfectly and does not require unloading com.apple.driver.usb.IOUSBHostHIDDevice!

Back