[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Trying a new setup today.

• I moved my SMBIOS over to iMacPro1,1
  • Removed Whatevergreen from my Kexts
  • Disabled the Intel UHD 630 in BIOS
  • Added the KextsToPatch "AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy"
  • Removed the Entry for the Intel UHD 630 from Devices -> Properties

These changes resulted in retaining H264 and HEVC acceleration
A 10% increase in CPU benchmark and 11% increase for Compute (OpenCL) - Geekbench 4
Hi @svandive, we have the exact same hardware and I find your configuration very interesting. Could you please develop on what made you take those decisions?

Also, and if it's not too much to ask, it would be great to see some screenshots.

Thank you so much!

Trying a new setup today.
  • I moved my SMBIOS over to iMacPro1,1
  • Removed Whatevergreen from my Kexts
  • Disabled the Intel UHD 630 in BIOS
  • Added the KextsToPatch "AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy"
  • Removed the Entry for the Intel UHD 630 from Devices -> Properties
These changes resulted in retaining H264 and HEVC acceleration
A 10% increase in CPU benchmark and 11% increase for Compute (OpenCL) - Geekbench 4
Yes it seems 10.14.5 may not require WhateverGreen. I've done very limited testing without WEG -- not enough to make any claims yet -- but I think nearly all of the performance improvement is coming from the switch to iMacPro1,1.

Hi :)

Thanks a lot @CaseySJ for this very inspirational guide. Being a Mac user since the early 90ies, I have never thought about building a Mac-Compatible PC on my own until I stubbled over this thread. Although being a long-time Mac Expert and quite versed in several OSes besides macOS, I have never dealt with actually building a PC. So I took a lot of the inspiration from the guide and tried to followed every step as close as I could.

Except the motherboard (Gigabyte Designare Z390), the CPU (Intel Core i7-9700K) and the graphics card (MSI RX 580 Armor Radeon OC 8GB) I took other parts. My case is a bequiet Dark Base 700 white. A ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB SSD is plugged into a m2 (Hell! This is so fast... up to 3000 mb/sec read/write). And I also ordered a be quiet! Dark Power PRO 11 as PSU and a be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 for cooling the cpu.

After a couple of beginner's mistakes and problems (e.g. I couldn't get the case's own controller board handling the PWM and the fans, so I had to connect them straight to the motherboard, I had 2 of the 4 DDR4 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX definitely not working in any of the memory slots etc.) I finally managed to install Mojave and I had it running with the first try.

I didn't believe that it would be that easy, to get my old Cinema Display 30" working without any problems. I just plugged the DVI-Connector into the DVI port of the Radeon graphics card and the USB Connector into a USB port. Et voila! It worked, full resolution, just perfect...

But I wouldn't say "perfect" at the moment now since I ran into a couple of kernel panics that were gpu-restarts. I am quite worried that my radeon graphics card could be the reason since the kernel panics now freeze the system much quicker that a couple of days ago.

I updated lilu, WEG and every kext that I could find a newer version of. I also managed iMovie to start and work without a crash. But what ever I do at the moment the problem seams to get worse. I get weird graphics with white or blinking polygons that look like they would have a center point somewhere in the left upper corner, I get spinning balls that rotate for a while until they disappear at all. Icons in the dock getting weird patterns or red. Sometimes I just end up with the login screen.

Does anybody have an idea what could cause this or experienced some problems like these?

Again thanks for this guide and the contribution :D

Wawanee

Hello @Wawanee,

To troubleshoot the kernel panics and graphics glitches let's start with some background information:
  • I believe this was a fresh installation of Mojave 10.14.5.
  • Were any applications and documents migrated from an existing Mac?
  • Were new applications and/or drivers installed for any third-party apps or devices?
  • Are you running in headless mode with Platform ID 0x3E980003?
    • Feel free to compress and upload your CLOVER folder from EFI Partition of Mojave SSD.
    • You may remove serial numbers from SMBIOS section of config.plist.
  • Do you have a monitor that accepts HDMI or DisplayPort?

Last edited:
Hi @svandive, we have the exact same hardware and I find your configuration very interesting. Could you please develop on what made you take those decisions?

Also, and if it's not too much to ask, it would be great to see some screenshots.

Thank you so much!

So, a buddy of mine who runs a Machine named Steve&Bill has very similar hardware to me. I'd love to take credit, but I have to give credit to him.

I originally had a setup on an Asus WS Pro z390. However this required the use of an Alpine Thunderbolt add-in card, and if you did any work with the older chipset you know it never worked quite right on a Hack.

However, when I moved over to the Designare (I was Completely SOLD on the board because of CaseySJ's amazing work!!! (Really again thank you CaseySJ) I ran in to a weird issue where by only one DP on my Vega 64 would work. All other ports showed all kinds of odd output. Well, long story short, I really wanted to solve this issue. It's been gnawing at me. So I built a clone and tested Installing Catalina, that went really smooth. My next test was to rewrite my config.plist and give this a shot.

Result: Problem SOLVED.... I can now use any of my DP / HDMI ports, yeah!!! Still no idea why or what the issue was, but it's all FIXED now...

Hey out there,
finally my Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 adapter arrived. My "G-Technology ev All-Terrain Case with Thunderbolt" works great. I've installed a 2tb ssd and use it now for my home theatre.

I'm not really into the Hackintosh-Thunderbolt-thing, but is it normal that my SSD shows up in Finder as an internal drive or do I miss something?

Greetings!

So, a buddy of mine who runs a Machine named Steve&Bill has very similar hardware to me. I'd love to take credit, but I have to give credit to him.

I originally had a setup on an Asus WS Pro z390. However this required the use of an Alpine Thunderbolt add-in card, and if you did any work with the older chipset you know it never worked quite right on a Hack.

However, when I moved over to the Designare (I was Completely SOLD on the board because of CaseySJ's amazing work!!! (Really again thank you CaseySJ) I ran in to a weird issue where by only one DP on my Vega 64 would work. All other ports showed all kinds of odd output. Well, long story short, I really wanted to solve this issue. It's been gnawing at me. So I built a clone and tested Installing Catalina, that went really smooth. My next test was to rewrite my config.plist and give this a shot.

Result: Problem SOLVED.... I can now use any of my DP / HDMI ports, yeah!!! Still no idea why or what the issue was, but it's all FIXED now...
Having recently assembled an Asus X99 Deluxe-II Hackintosh (thanks to @kgp's guide) with an NZXT Kraken 52 AIO, I noticed that the NZXT logo looks a little skewed -- a bit tilted up and to the right. But I see that yours is the same. Will have to keep my OCD in check and just deal with it! :)

Anyway, I managed to install liquidctl. Had to download Python3, pip, PyUSB, cython-hidapi, and libusb (needed to build the latter two by simply running "./configure" followed by "./make" and "sudo ./make install". But I'm unable to unload com.apple.driver.usb.IOUSBHostHIDDevice in order to avoid [Errno 13] Access denied (insufficient permissions).

So I'm curious if you're successfully controlling your NZXT AIO with liquidctl...

DSC02101.jpg

Last edited:
Hey out there,
finally my Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 adapter arrived. My "G-Technology ev All-Terrain Case with Thunderbolt" works great. I've installed a 2tb ssd and use it now for my home theatre.

I'm not really into the Hackintosh-Thunderbolt-thing, but is it normal that my SSD shows up in Finder as an internal drive or do I miss something?

Greetings!
A couple of people have reported similar behavior on their external Thunderbolt 3 drives. Not all TB3 enclosures behave this way. Because your drive is considered internal, does it mean you're unable to eject it?

A couple of people have reported similar behavior on their external Thunderbolt 3 drives. Not all TB3 enclosures behave this way. Because your drive is considered internal, does it mean you're unable to eject it?
Luckily I can eject it. A right click in the finder gives me the option to do so. The only big difference is that it has the "internal icon" in finder and it does not show up on the desktop as my other USB-HDDs.

Luckily I can eject it. A right click in the finder gives me the option to do so. The only big difference is that it has the "internal icon" in finder and it does not show up on the desktop as my other USB-HDDs.
Do you have this option checked in Finder --> Preferences?
Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 7.46.43 AM.png

Back