Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Many thanks CaseySJ, for the excellent guide! Everything worked perfectly for me.

I have two doubts if someone can answer me:

1. Is it possible to work with Designare BT / WiFi ? (native designare)

2. Can I make a Raid 0 using the RAID of the Designare itself ? (this raid is easy raid designare
bios)

Thanks

Rag

As far as I know, macOS doesn't support Intel wireless cards as of yet.
RAID in macOS is possible as software RAID, the one you set with the BIOS is known as hardware RAID or 'Intel SoftRAID', which only has windows drivers I think.

EDIT:
Does anyone know if I should remove Lilu and Whatevergreen from my EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other folder after I installed them on Library/Extensions and updated kernel caches?
Seems kinda odd to have them in both places...

Last edited:
Always something. I have a bad memory stick. I tried just one and it works! I've ordered a new set and will return the ones I have.

As always thank you for all your help and support toward the community!

Ok onto my next issue I can't get my R9 290 4G ASUS DirectCU II GPU working. I had the wrong card noted. Not sure what I was thinking :( I've updated my profile.

Things I've tried:

Boot from USB to Mojave - Works with on board HDMI
Boot from SSD Mojave - HDMI stop when I finish the changes (Post Install) then it boots to blank screen.

Boot from USB with R9 290 to Mojave works I get the desktop
Boot from SSD Mojave stops at progress bar no apple log and 0% progress.

Thanks for the help.

The QNAP NAS will most likely not appear in PCI page of System Information, but it should appear in IORegistryExplorer. In the search box, type "RP05". And then click the little "x" on the right end of the same search bar in order to view child nodes in the tree. Now do you see the QNAP listed?

If not, it's possible that QNAP connects over a Thunderbolt Ethernet Bridge, but unfortunately, that requires Thunderbolt Local Node, which is not currently working on Hackintoshes:

View attachment 414835

Do you think that this is the reason that the UAD Apollo 8 won't reconnect when the power is switched off then back on -the so-called hotplug issue? Should the UUID value seen in my attachment be reflected in the UUID value part of Thunderbolt patch? See attached screen shots, please. Thank you!

Attachments

•  Apollo 8 Powered on before boot and working.png
    Apollo 8 Powered on before boot and working.png
    235.7 KB · Views: 76
  •  Apollo 8 Powered off.png
    Apollo 8 Powered off.png
    215.4 KB · Views: 69
  •  Apollo 8 Switched back on without reboot.png
    Apollo 8 Switched back on without reboot.png
    161.3 KB · Views: 58
@casey.
Fenvi card arrived today + the USB board extender & now both are in the system & seem to be up & running.
I'm typing on the system at the moment

Steps below for anyone else.

1. Signed out of iMessage & iCloud
2. Removed old TP-LINK-9E card + disconnected NZXT usb from F_USB header on board
3. Added in cable from F_USB to extender board & stuck extender board to inside the chassis
4. Attached USB cable from NZXT to extender board
5. Added Fenvi card & cable from card to extender board
6. Attached antennae

Reboot & attach wired keyboard so I could repair my apple keyboard + trackpad.
Sign back into iCloud & iMessage & we are back in business.

Thanks again Casey

My first build was a sucess! Just followed the tutorial and voilà !
Everything is working like a charm. :)
And voilà indeed! Glad to hear it!

Just one thing : the sapphire vega 64 fans only spin when the graphic card is used by an app. O rpm when iddle.
If i understood correctly, this card is set up to run fans only above 60 °c to avoid noise.
Is it really normal ?
Yes this is normal. A bit scary, but normal nevertheless.

I tried to control fan speed with vgtab without success.
My config is IMac 19.1 headless mode..
Perhaps the author of VGTab will provide a new version, but it may be best to let macOS manage the Vega completely.

Many thanks CaseySJ, for the excellent guide! Everything worked perfectly for me.

I have two doubts if someone can answer me:

1. Is it possible to work with Designare BT / WiFi ? (native designare)

2. Can I make a Raid 0 using the RAID of the Designare itself ? (this raid is easy raid designare
bios)

Thanks

Rag
Hello @Rag,

The CNVi slot on the Designare Z390 motherboard contains an Intel Wireless-9560 module. It provides not only 802.11ac, but also Bluetooth 5.0. However it is not compatible with macOS, which is why we use SSDT-DESIGNARE-Z390-NO-CNVW.aml to hide it from macOS.

But it works perfectly under Windows if you connect the accompanying antenna to the two jacks on the rear IO panel.

As for using on-board RAID, it might work but I have yet to see anyone do it. You could be the first! :)

I use SoftRAID instead and have been very pleased with it.

As far as I know, macOS doesn't support Intel wireless cards as of yet.
RAID in macOS is possible as software RAID, the one you set with the BIOS is known as hardware RAID or 'Intel SoftRAID', which only has windows drivers I think.

EDIT:
Does anyone know if I should remove Lilu and Whatevergreen from my EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other folder after I installed them on Library/Extensions and updated kernel caches?
Seems kinda odd to have them in both places...
Both Lilu and WhateverGreen should remain in CLOVER/kexts/Other even when they are installed in /L/E because they allow macOS software updates to be performed. During these updates macOS boots from a temporary APFS Volume that does not contain our Hackintosh kexts, so keeping a copy in the CLOVER folder is necessary.

Note also that in the System Parameters section of Clover Configurator we set Inject Kexts to Detect. This means:
  • If FakeSMC or VirtualSMC is present in /L/E, then nothing from CLOVER/kexts/Other will be injected.
  • If FakeSMC or VirtualSMC is missing from /L/E, then all kexts from CLOVER/kexts/Other will be injected.
During a macOS update (such as going from 10.14.4 to 10.14.5) the system boots from a temporary APFS Volume called Install macOS Mojave. There's no FakeSMC or VirtualSMC in this volume, so CLOVER will inject the basic kexts from its kexts/Other folder.

Hello @CaseySJ, I'm having a minor issue with my VEGA 64. It's a Sapphire reference edition (blower design card). I'm on iMacPro1,1 (UHD630 disabled).

There is an abrupt frame drop when testing the card on either Heaven or Valley benchmarks. It starts fine at 60Hz, but it goes down to 8 or 5 Hz from now and then.

So far, I have done the following to debug the problem:

1. Change the cables coming from the PSU to the GPU to rule out any power delivery issues.
2. Implement SSDT-Z390-VEGA64 to see if that does something. The device is showing up in System Report/PCI, but the problem persist. This might not be the right way to address the problem though, since I'm on 10.14.5 and this approach would override the PowerPlayTable provided by macOS.
3. I tried several configurations for Heaven and Valley. The problem persist at any resolution or combination of settings.

Extra info: I do know that the card is fine, because its working ok under Windows and it was working fine even under macOS in my former X99 system.

Do you have any idea what can I try next?

Ok onto my next issue I can't get my R9 290 4G ASUS DirectCU II GPU working. I had the wrong card noted. Not sure what I was thinking :( I've updated my profile.

Things I've tried:

Boot from USB to Mojave - Works with on board HDMI
Boot from SSD Mojave - HDMI stop when I finish the changes (Post Install) then it boots to blank screen.

Boot from USB with R9 290 to Mojave works I get the desktop
Boot from SSD Mojave stops at progress bar no apple log and 0% progress.

Thanks for the help.
Can you post the config.plist from EFI partition of the Mojave SSD (not from USB)? You may remove serial numbers from SMBIOS.

Do you think that this is the reason that the UAD Apollo 8 won't reconnect when the power is switched off then back on -the so-called hotplug issue? Should the UUID value seen in my attachment be reflected in the UUID value part of Thunderbolt patch? See attached screen shots, please. Thank you!
The UUID for ThunderboltLocalNode does not have to be reflected in the attached devices. My OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock reconnects after a power cycle. If your Apollo 8 is not reconnecting, first check all the basic:
  • Thunderbolt BIOS settings.
  • UAD firmware -- update to latest version if not already done.
  • UAD driver -- update to latest version if not already done.
  • Verify that the Thunderbolt hot plug SSDT (v4) is installed along with SSDT-DTPG.aml.

Back