Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I got it working with HDMI. I have attached my HDMI working one for your review. If you can give me a clue how to get my R9 290 working I would appreciate it.
Near exact timing on your last post!

Based on the WhateverGreen README file, it might be a good idea to try adding -raddvi to your Boot Arguments. In Clover Configurator we can add this easily by right-clicking and choosing it from the WhateverGreen submenu:

Screen Shot 2019-07-07 at 10.23.41 AM.png

But for the longer term, the Sapphire Pulse RX 580 would be a good choice.

I got it working with HDMI. I have attached my HDMI working one for your review. If you can give me a clue how to get my R9 290 working I would appreciate it.

Ok I tried yours and it's working. Any idea on if I should just buy a new card or try and get the r9 290 working?

Ok then forget that part. I'll take a look at the RX 580! Thanks!

Ok I tried yours and it's working. Any idea on if I should just buy a new card or try and get the r9 290 working?

Regarding the R9 290, have you tried -raddvi?

I've just ordered one! Unfortunately it's going to take some time to arrive...

Upgraded to 10.14.5 from 10.13.6, everything is running so smoothly, like a dream. Dual monitors - HDMI and thunderbolt to DP. Using iGPU :)

I can't for the life of me get the IOGear Bluetooth Dongle to work. I've just realised that my MacBook Pro doesn't in fact recognise it. Either the chip is broken or they're not compatible past 10.13.5 (Which was the last time it was working!).
I have BURO (Broadcom) usb dongle and after i added BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext and BrcmPatchRAM2.kext to L/E it's work (10.14.5)

I just returned the IOGear Bluetooth dongle back to Amazon

The Fenvi T919 card with WiFi and Bluetooth is working great so far

The UUID for ThunderboltLocalNode does not have to be reflected in the attached devices. My OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock reconnects after a power cycle. If your Apollo 8 is not reconnecting, first check all the basic:
  • Thunderbolt BIOS settings.
  • UAD firmware -- update to latest version if not already done.
  • UAD driver -- update to latest version if not already done.
  • Verify that the Thunderbolt hot plug SSDT (v4) is installed along with SSDT-DTPG.aml.

Thanks. But would it help? My software is up to date. The Thunderbolt hot plug SSDT (v4) is installed along with SSDT-DTPG.aml. -It didn't do the trick so I'm back to using another one that KGP wrote.
After a year of dealing this, I think that hot re-powerup is a dead end for UAD Apollo 8 users that are using a TB3 add-in card. I've used many different patches on many different (system def) builds. Just now I realized that if hot-swap/power-swap for UAD Apollo 8 (Thunderbolt 2 rackmount equipment which is externally powered) really did work, then I could simply boot my system and snap on the power. When I do this in Windows on a real Mac Mini, a little window pops up and displays "Connecting to 'Apollo 8' "

The unit works great in the hack, but you have to power it up before computer boot. It's not a deal-breaker, it's just an annoyance. Maybe it has to do with the Thunderbolt (local?) Node (from post #1) being interrupted by the power flip, breaking the driver connection until the computer is power-cycled. I made a video, but Ican't upload it here. Anywa, it was worth a try. Thanks.

I have BURO (Broadcom) usb dongle and after i added BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext and BrcmPatchRAM2.kext to L/E it's work (10.14.5)

Thanks for the tip, I tried it but had no luck. I just tried to install the dongle on a Windows laptop but it wouldn't be recognized. I think after around 8 years of service the dongle is finally dead...

Good thing I have the FV-T919 on the way, I can't live without my multi-touch gestures for much longer!

I'm actually returning my Sapphire RX 580, I've decided it's £200 I don't need to spend as I can run dual monitors smoothly from the iGPU. You might want to try it unless you do some video/graphics heavy tasks.

I'm actually returning my Sapphire RX 580, I've decided it's £200 I don't need to spend as I can run dual monitors smoothly from the iGPU. You might want to try it unless you do some video/graphics heavy tasks.

Keep the RX 580 and run a short cable from DisplayPort out from the RX 580 to the DisplayPort in on the Gigabyte motherboard.
Then use a USB-C/TB3 cable to DisplayPort in to the monitor (or if its a TB3 monitor then USB-C -> USB-C).

Its a very nice card & you may as well use it.

Hello @nifranza, not owning a Vega card I may not be of much help with this issue. If you have a spare SSD and a USB 3 SSD enclosure, it may be worth installing macOS temporarily with SMBIOS changed to iMac19,1.

If anyone with a Vega GPU is experiencing this frame drop problem, please let us know what solutions, if any, you've tried.
Hello @CaseySJ, I followed the steps on Going the extra mile and settled with iMac19,1 with iGPU enabled. The situation with Vega improved a little. I have a small doubt though: If I completed the section Injecting Audio and Enabling On-Board HDMI, is it also necesary to specify ig-platform-id for WEG when choosing a final SMBIOS in Going the extra mile?

Thanks!

Back