Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I'm having a little trouble getting this patch to disable the CNVi card on the Z390 AORUS MASTER. And thus, it's causing me issues with the Fenvi card installed in the 2nd X1 slot. Anything I can share to see if the patch needs to be modified to work with the MASTER board? Here's a screen shot of IOReg showing the card...

View attachment 401223
The SSDT appears to be working as judged by the device-id, vendor-id, and class-code, which are set to 0xFFFF. Can you describe the problem you're facing with the Fenvi? Which slot is it in (x1 slot, x4 slot, x16 slot)?

Would this driver only be used in the instance of the Z390 Designaire or do you recommend this for other mobos?
OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi has been effective on just about all Gigabyte Z390 boards in combination with slide=0 (in Boot Arguments). If you search the site for this driver name you will find that it's used successfully on other manufacturer's boards as well.

Choosing a memory fix driver for a particular motherboard is a trial-and-error process. We start with AptioMemoryFix-64 and, if it fails, we switch it out for a different one.

On the Designare Z390, AptioMemoryFix-64 actually works. When we install a GPU into slot 1 (maybe even slot 2) is still works. But when we subsequently install a WiFi/BT card, it completely crashes. All other memory drivers also crash with the sole exception of OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.

OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi has been effective on just about all Gigabyte Z390 boards in combination with slide=0 (in Boot Arguments). If you search the site for this driver name you will find that it's used successfully on other manufacturer's boards as well.

Choosing a memory fix driver for a particular motherboard is a trial-and-error process. We start with AptioMemoryFix-64 and, if it fails, we switch it out for a different one.

On the Designare Z390, AptioMemoryFix-64 actually works. When we install a GPU into slot 1 (maybe even slot 2) is still works. But when we subsequently install a WiFi/BT card, it completely crashes. All other memory drivers also crash with the sole exception of OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.
If everything is working (GPU WiFi/Bluetooth) then changing to OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 is not needed.
One mystery is that Sys Info>PCI is not populated with the RX580, NVMe (installed on a PCIe card) nor the Wifi/Bluetooth card. I've been looking for (SSDT?) ways to solve this.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 10.53.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 10.53.58 AM.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 81
Your configuration looks pretty good with the exception of a couple of small tweaks to config.plist. I would suggest:
  • Try the attached modified config.plist that has these changes:
    • Boot --> darkwake = 1 changed to darkwake = 0
    • Devices --> USB Inject = checked, USB Fix Ownership = checked, USB High Current = checked
    • Devices --> Audio --> ResetHDA = checked
  • Download the new Post-Install Files.zip and replace the following files:
    • CLOVER/ACPI/patched --> replace SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V5.aml with V6.
    • CLOVER/drivers64UEFI --> replace VBoxHFS-64.efi with HFSPlus-64.efi.

Seem to have done the trick! so far no problems since I've made these changes.

Thanks again!

The SSDT appears to be working as judged by the device-id, vendor-id, and class-code, which are set to 0xFFFF. Can you describe the problem you're facing with the Fenvi? Which slot is it in (x1 slot, x4 slot, x16 slot)?

Nevermind, problem solved. I was just getting ahead of myself and hadn't yet configured my USB ports with a proper SSDT. Once I excluded HS14 and got under the 15 port limit, all is well. Bluetooth is back to working as it should. Sorry for the bother!

If everything is working (GPU WiFi/Bluetooth) then changing to OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 is not needed.
One mystery is that Sys Info>PCI is not populated with the RX580, NVMe (installed on a PCIe card) nor the Wifi/Bluetooth card. I've been looking for (SSDT?) ways to solve this.
Please have a look at this mini-guide that allows you to specify device names and descriptions without using SSDTs. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

i tried to update one of my 2 machines from 10.14 to 10.4.4 ..... downloaded the update from appstore and then run the upgrade... but soething crashed ... better to do a complete new installation to 10.14.4 ?
i have the same 5 fans like Casey - how can i make them silent ? by now the are running on 100 % all ;-) and make a lot noise

My FrankenMac is ALIVE!!!

My thoughts on being a noob to the 'beastly' world of making your own HackMac.
  • Read the directions before you do anything
  • Re-read the directions, including the glossary - even if you are a nerd
  • See step one and two
  • Prepare for failure and setbacks and don't get too discouraged
  • Be super careful on entering values - spell check will not help you
  • Not sure if this applies, but I followed the hardware guidelines pretty closely; good hardware =good build
  • I know it is annoying to the moderators and forum readers, but it is so reassuring to know someone can help you
  • Of course try not to post obvious questions - do a search first
  • My biggest problems were typos and not reading/following the directions step-by-step, the solution is to take your time and sleep on it before going on a rampage and hitting the same nail over and over (doesn't help since the nail is on the wrong (mother) board)
  • Now on to my post-post (post) and looking forward to new challenges - like the fact that Preview is not working

@itepfoto,

Good post, good advice!

Is your last bullet a thinly veiled cry for help? ;)

Hi! Thanks for the awesome build guide. I got as far as the final clover config without issue. However, as I went to save, I couldn't figure out where to. But I had to step away for a bit so I just quickly saved config.plist to desktop. When I came back, the computer had fallen asleep and on wake a circle with a line through it appeared. I rebooted, F12, selected the usb drive, then boot from Mojave. The system came back up, and that's where I am now. The EFI partition on my usb drive is gone. Is that expected behavior? Should I recreate the drive with Unibeast? Where do I need to save config.plist to?
Thanks in advance!

Back