Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thunderbolt ports on an add-in-card currently require Windows in order to activate, but on the Designare Z390, the built-in Thunderbolt controller is completely Windows-free!

The GC-Titan Ridge add-in-card, for example, requires:
  • Windows to activate
  • USB data connection to motherboard
  • Thunderbolt 3 header connection to motherboard
  • Two PCI power cables from power supply
  • One PCIe x4 slot
  • No internal connection to IGPU. A video cable must be connected from an external video port to one of the miniDP inputs.
  • Ugly mess of wires :)
The built-in Titan Ridge controller on Designare Z390 requires absolutely none of the above! I still think this motherboard is a tremendous bargain even at $270. The external Titan Ridge card is $100 by itself.

100% agreed, this MB is the best one for my use in using MACOS.

EDIT 2: After Several different trials, what worked for me was to download a new file of AppleALC.kext, but this time from 1.3.7.DEBUG instead of 1.3.7.RELEASE, and installed and runned a new version of Kext Utility, this time version 2.6.6 (was before on 2.5.0b)

I don't know which one exactly solved the problem, but both of them together worked.
Glad you solved the problem. I updated to AppleALC 1.3.6 and then to 1.3.7 some time ago so not sure whether the previous version 1.3.5 has a problem with 10.14.4.

Thunderbolt ports on an add-in-card currently require Windows in order to activate, but on the Designare Z390, the built-in Thunderbolt controller is completely Windows-free!
I was implying that the add in cards need that. Just wasn't specific enough. Have to agree that the Designare is the best way to go for working TH3. It's always been hit or miss with the add in cards. This guide simplifies the process of getting them working.

Please try the attached config.plist. You'll have to boot from the USB disk again, login to High Sierra, mount EFI partition of the High Sierra SSD, and replace existing config.plist with attached version. [Be sure to make a backup of the current config.plist!]

Then safely eject the USB flash disk and reboot directly from the High Sierra SSD. At Clover Boot Menu, press Spacebar then use arrow keys to move down to "Verbose" and press space bar again to enable it. Then boot High Sierra.

This config.plist puts your system into headless mode where iGPU is used for compute tasks, but will not drive a display monitor. So please connect your display monitor to the Nvidia GPU.

Does the system still freeze? If so, same error/log messages as before?

Hi @CaseySJ,

I replace the config.plist, and finally, it successfully boots with SSD and Nvidia 1080ti.
Thank you very much for your many advice!!!

I misunderstood that iGPU works with displayport or usb-c... but in my settings, iGPU doesn't work, is it?
Could you tell me which part you changed in the config.plist?

I think I have some other problems (e.g., audio).
I will try to solve these problems. I will also try to use eGPU box and report it later.

GPU works - thanks! I already have the FakeSMC package under Libray/Extension and since i see most sensors i guess im good to go.

I downloaded a made SSDT from another user (there are 2-3 threads about succesful builds), the ports work (incl USB3 speeds), however issue remains, sometimes the Internal Speaker is gone, the other options (2x lineout, Headpohone and Digital Out) remain however are without function (least no sound coming out of it).

I just saw that you have more about Audio in your guide (Inject Audio) and i did this. Works after boot, stops working after sleep, so that's not the issue either.

I downloaded a new AppleALC.kext from April 9th. Will see how this goes and will write updates for other users who might face the same issue.

Several comments from this and previous post:
  • To confirm whether your system is operating properly in headless mode, simply download and run IORegistryExplorer then scroll the tree view on left side until you get to IGPU. If you see AppleIntelFramebuffer as a child node under IGPU then it's working correctly.
  • The entire FakeSMC package can be downloaded from here. Just pick the first Zip file in the list.
  • Have you found or created a USB SSDT for the Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Pro?
    • The new easy-to-follow guide is located here. Now no one should be afraid of this! :)
    • Sleep and wake issues are often tied to USB port configuration and USB devices.
    • Regarding wake-from-sleep problems with ALC-1220VB, I would suggest checking "Reset HDA" and trying different values of Layout ID.
      View attachment 400279
    • Also try various values of darkwake in Clover Configurator --> Boot Arguments. Try darkwake=0 for example.

Hi,
I have some questions about USB Install Disk Creation and Post-installation phase:

USB Install Disk Creation
After updating unibeast 9.2, the KextsToPatch section is now different from the previous version:

Is it still valid with your guide?

Post-installation Phase
I would like to use this new build with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, GIS applications, CAD and 3D Modellers and Rendering applications: which System Definition (SMBIOS name and Platform ID) would be better to use?
What is the difference between Macmini 8.1 and iMac Pro 1.1 from this point of view?

I'm using a Fractal Design Define C TG case (2 USB 3.0 ports) for thi new build.
Should I use a Specific SSDT?

Thanks in advance for Your help

Last edited:
hi,

I'm stuck after final Post installation. i can boot up with usb stick but not from the SSD. When i try to boot up from SSD i just get a no Harddrive sign.

Hardware is 9900k with Z390 Aorus Extreme and Vega 64.
config.plist is from the SSD(EFI).
Somebody can help please?

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.5 KB · Views: 107
ah sorry thats the one after final post installation

Attachments

• config.plist
    9 KB · Views: 115
ah sorry thats the one after final post installation

Don't use SMBIOS 19.2 (wait 10.14.5).
Try IMacPro 1.1, remove nv_disable=1 and disable IGPU on BIOS.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi,

I'm stuck after final Post installation. i can boot up with usb stick but not from the SSD. When i try to boot up from SSD i just get a no Harddrive sign.

Hardware is 9900k with Z390 Aorus Extreme and Vega 64.
config.plist is from the SSD(EFI).
Somebody can help please?
at the clover boot screen, hit the space bar, scroll down and check the box next to "verbose", scroll back up and click "boot with selected options".
then when the boot stalls, take a picture of the screen and post it here

Back