Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Thank you, that problem's solved now! I just can't update from 10.14.3 to 10.14.4. It tells me that the computer needs to reboot and then I see an installation bar which is filled up to 10% before turning the screen black. Is this update not meant for Nvidia GPUs? Do you Radeon guys have any problems with this specific update? I did many updates directly via the mac os x updater and never encountered such a problem before...
With my RX 580 driving a 4K display over DisplayPort, I simply let macOS 10.14.3 update itself to 10.14.4. We get the usual sudden reboot syndrome once or twice during the update, but the process succeeds. However, it may be necessary to:
  • Update Clover on the Mojave SSD before updating from 10.14.3. Clover Configurator has an option to update Clover, or you may download the latest version and simply launch the installer.
  • Install the latest Lilu and WhateverGreen in /Library/Extensions (be sure to run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel caches) and also in CLOVER/kexts/Other.
Then perform the update to 10.14.4.

Does anyone know if Corsair MP510 NVMe SSD will work natively with macOS in this build? If not i’m looking for a cheaper option than Samsung EVO range.
There's a very good chance the Corsair MP510 will work. So far the only incompatible NVMe SSD we've encountered is the Samsung EVO 970 Plus (not the Pro).

Other good alternatives to the pricey Samsung 970-series are:

Hello @CaseySJ ! Thanks a lot for your amazing work !
First Pc building and First Hackintosh for me, and everything works flawlessly!
I installed directly 10.14.4, only trouble was hardware decoding in H264, only HEVC was working. Solved the issue with shikigva=60 as suggested by @xtreem.p here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/post-1930263
Thanks again for this guide !
Glad to hear it and welcome to the forum!

Sounds like shikigva=60 should be standardized into the build guide. We'll open this to "public comments" for a day or so. If anyone believes this might cause issues with their particular configuration, please say so. Otherwise I'll bake it into the build guide.

*** Mini Guide: How to Customize Device Names and Properties ***

In most cases macOS identifies your PCI devices and shows them to you in System Information --> PCI. But there are always some devices that are not listed or devices whose names we wish to change. In most cases, the information presented in the System Information --> PCI page is informational only and has no functional effect. This means we can choose our own property values (within reason).

But some applications such as Adobe Premiere (and possibly others) are sensitive to the device names -- but only in certain specific cases. If you have two or more graphics cards, regardless of whether they are iGPU or dGPU or eGPU, some applications prioritize the graphics card whose name comes first alphabetically. So if you wanted these applications to prioritize Vega over the Intel UHD 630, you would have to rename one or the other, or both. Because the letter I comes before V, the Intel UHD 630 will be prioritized by default. To prioritize the Vega over the Intel, we could rename it to "AMD Vega" because, well, A comes before everything else!

The procedure for customizing device names and properties is rather straightforward. We'll go through an example.

Preparation:
Download DarwinDumper 3.0.4 from any of several locations. Here's one download location.

Procedure:
  1. Launch Darwin Dumper. If you encounter a security warning, open System Preferences --> Security & Privacy --> General and allow macOS to run the application.
  2. Perform the 3 steps shown:
    View attachment 396513
  3. You will be prompted for your system password, so enter it.
  4. A couple of seconds later, Darwin Dumper will quit automatically and will pop up a Finder window showing the output files. Here's the resulting folder from my system:
    View attachment 396515
  5. Open the LSPCI folder and double-click lspci map (M).txt. It should open in TextEdit or you can right-click and open it in an app of your choice. This is a condensed summary of all the PCI devices and their PCI paths. If you wish to view a more detailed report, open the file lspci detailed (nnvvbxxxx).txt.
  6. Here's what my condensed summary looks like, with some key devices highlighted in red and the AMD RX 580 highlighted in green.
    View attachment 396527
  7. Let's say we want to modify the name of our RX 580 graphics card. We see in green that the card has a PCI address (first few characters in the green line) of 01:00.0.
  8. Now mount the EFI partition of your Mojave SSD, run Clover Configurator, and open your config.plist.
  9. Go to the Devices section and take a look at the Arbitrary tab.
    View attachment 396519
  10. If you followed the section entitled Specifying Device Names and Types in the build guide, your config.plist will look like the image above, with two PCI devices already named (Intel PCH USB 3.1 xHCI Host Controller and Broadcom 94360CS2). [If you're using a different WiFi card, you can use this mini-guide to rename it.]
  11. Notice the PciAddr* field. The first entry is 00:14.0 (USB controller) which is the 2nd red highlight in Step 6 above. The next entry is 05:00.0 (Broadcom WiFi), which is the last red highlight in Step 6. Now you know where these PCI Addresses came from -- they came from a Darwin Dump.
  12. Now look at the green highlight in Step 6. This is the AMD RX 580 graphics card. And its PciAddr* is 01:00.0. This corresponds to Slot 1. If your RX 580 or Vega is in a different slot, you will see a different PCI Address.
  13. To specify a name for this card, we need to add a new Arbitrary entry as follows:
    • Click the + icon to add a new entry.
    • Enter the PCI Address as shown in the Darwin Dump. For the RX 580 in this example, we would enter 01:00.0
    • Enter a Comment for your own reference. This will not appear in macOS.
    • Now enter one or more Custom Properties in the box on the right by clicking the + icon on the bottom right.
    • The name of the device is specified in the parameter model. Therefore, to name our RX 580 as "AMD RX 580" we would create a custom property where key is model, Value is AMD RX 580, and Value Type is String. The result should look like this:
      View attachment 396528
    • But we're not finished yet. We can also specify a Slot ID. If we have 2 or more graphics cards, we would create separate entries for each one. We can give each one the same name or different names. But we would assign different Slot IDs for each card.
    • Slot ID is specified by adding the Custom Property AAPL,slot-name. In this example, the RX 580 is in Slot 1, so we would create another Custom Property as follows: Key is AAPL,slot-name, Value is Slot-1, and Value Type is String. The final result is shown here:
      View attachment 396529
  14. Now save the file and reboot for changes to take effect.
Verification:
After rebooting the system, open System Information --> PCI (go to About this Mac and choose System Report) and check if your device is listed along with the custom properties you specified.

Notes and Warnings:
  • If you are using the RX580 or Vega SSDT (in CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder), you should modify names and slot IDs in the SSDT itself.
  • If you want to add or modify custom properties for the Intel UHD 630, you can add the custom properties to Devices --> Properties instead of Devices --> Arbitrary. This is because we are already injecting various custom properties for the Intel UHD 630 as you can see below.
    View attachment 396526
--- end of procedure ---

The guide was super easy to follow. Thanks!

I believe this still pertains to the thread, I tried to use the Darwindump to find another device to rename (BRCM>ARPT..following @kgp's guide) but I noticed that my device on RP01 (brcm) doesn't show up it. I can find the device under a strange address (6e:00.0) however. Also, it doesn't show up in my system DSDT.

Did I miss a step somewhere?

It should be a 4-pin connector but maybe only 3 pins are used? Anyway, please see my previous reply.

Edit: Correction — we cannot use the 3-pin connector, only the 9-pin.
Bluetooth is finally ready for use. It really is that I didn't connect the device card to the USB port.

The device card I purchased, the seller only gave me the line of three pins. He told me that the three pins correspond to the DM, DP, and NC interfaces of the usb port. I tried to connect and it works fine (but the device card I bought before is also 9pin. So I think the seller is fooling me).

The problem is solved. Thank you for your answer! Wish you be happy!

Sounds like shikigva=60 should be standardized into the build guide. We'll open this to "public comments" for a day or so. If anyone believes this might cause issues with their particular configuration, please say so. Otherwise I'll bake it into the build guide.

So far it seems pretty good.
Don't have Final cut pro to check, but with shikigva=60 Premiere Pro work just fine. Ran severals exports all day from huge projects to try it out: Fast and stable. Maybe even more stable than my old iMac 27: it used to crash randomly under such loads :)

Bluetooth is finally ready for use. It really is that I didn't connect the device card to the USB port.

The device card I purchased, the seller only gave me the line of three pins. He told me that the three pins correspond to the DM, DP, and NC interfaces of the usb port. I tried to connect and it works fine (but the device card I bought before is also 9pin. So I think the seller is fooling me).

The problem is solved. Thank you for your answer! Wish you be happy!
Glad to hear it's working. I'm still curious about this...
  • Can you please post a photo of the 3-pin connector? Technically, it is possible to insert 3 bare pins into an existing 9-pin connector. We just have to be careful about the pin-outs (see diagram).
  • Did the seller say "DM, DP, NC" or "DN, DP, NC"? The Bluetooth controller is most likely getting power already from the PCIe x1 card, so you would only need to connect DN (data negative) and DP (data positive) to the DX- and DX+ terminals (top row) or to DY- and DY+ terminals (bottom row) and forget about Power (5V) and GND.
  • Are you using the 9-pin connector now -- with or without a USB splitter?
USB2 Pins.png
See also:

Last edited:
The guide was super easy to follow. Thanks!

I believe this still pertains to the thread, I tried to use the Darwindump to find another device to rename (BRCM>ARPT..following @kgp's guide) but I noticed that my device on RP01 (brcm) doesn't show up it. I can find the device under a strange address (6e:00.0) however. Also, it doesn't show up in my system DSDT.

Did I miss a step somewhere?
My Fenvi FV-T919 is installed in the bottom x1 slot, which is Slot 5. The PCI address for this appears in the Darwin Dumper report posted in the mini guide: 05:00.0. Based on this, we can rename this device using Clover Configurator --> Devices --> Arbitrary. The XML code is provided in the build guide here.

When we install add-in-cards (AIC) in PCIe slots, I don't think that the system DSDT or SSDT changes, but now I'm curious to actually check for this (later this evening). So I don't think you will not see a "BRCM" or "ARPT" device name appear in the DSDT/SSDT after installing a Broadcom WiFi/BT card.

I would suggest using Devices --> Arbitrary with PCI address 6e:00.0 anyway to see if you can add a model attribute for your card.

By the way which WiFi/BT card are you using, and in which slot?

Last edited:
Hi,

my first post and so I would at first like to say thank you for this great tutorial especially the fine tuning process to get this build work properly (didn't use the beast tools but otherwise I stayed close with these instructions).

This was my first try and so far everything works like it should but I have one strange behavior with my build for which I could need a little help:

I used the i9 9900k instead of the i7 and when I ran for example Prime95 the activity monitor is only showing me 50% of CPU workload. Shouldn't it be 100 ? I assume this has something to do with HT of this processor but does anyone have an idea how to fix this ?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2019-04-03 um 18.20.39.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-04-03 um 18.20.39.png
    67.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Bildschirmfoto 2019-04-03 um 18.39.58.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-04-03 um 18.39.58.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 71
Have you tried darkwake=0 per the guide? Does it lead to problems with iMacPro1,1 and/or Vega 64? I have omitted darkwake altogether in my configuration. I don't mind pressing two keys to wake the system -- my goodness, there are FAR FAR worse problems in this world than having to press 2 keys for wakeup! I seem to get better overall wake-from-sleep repeatability this way, but I have not conducted scientifically rigorous tests to assert this as a fact.
Well … It had worked with darkwave=0 which I tried this morning, and I could wake it with no problems 3 hours later. But now I have tried it without any darkwave and again only black screen. The weird thing is that now none of the darkwave settings work anymore! Always black screen when trying to wake it up. I even did NVRAM resets between the different tries.

EDIT: It’s working again, after I have replaced the complete EFI folder with my previous configuration (which includes darkwave=8). I hadn’t changed anything else in the whole EFI folder. It seems hard to try this out (because of all this NVRAM stuff?), because sometimes there is a nvram.plist in the folder, sometimes not, sometimes the behavior changes after deleting it and pressing F11 in Clover menu, sometimes not. So I am quite sure that no darkwave setting at all does not work with iMacPro1,1 and Vega64. But I have no idea which of the other settings are best now.

Last edited:
Back