Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

• I would recommend the Sapphire Pulse RX 580 over the WX 7100. (Avoid the Sapphire Nitro+.) I tend to recommend the RX 580 over the RX Vega as well because it works very well out-of-the-box. Vega cards often require custom fan and power settings, so you must be willing to spend some time to research and set up the Vega properly. All of these cards can run 4K at 60Hz.
  • I would also recommend the EVGA SuperNova over the EVGA Bq.
  • The rest of your selections are good.
Thanks for all your help man, I will start working on it soon.:clap:

Because I'm not familiar with the new card, I'm afraid I cannot be of much help. But regarding the old card, here's the current status:
  • The WiFi function of this card works correctly.
  • The Bluetooth function of this card is not working. By this we mean:
    • Bluetooth power cable is connected to USB port.
    • Bluetooth device is recognized and present in IOReg.
    • Bluetooth "On/Off" button is disabled (grayed out) in Bluetooth Preferences.
    • Unable to connect any devices to Bluetooth.
Based on this:
  • If the two antennas are properly connected, then I suspect you have a bad BCM94360 mini-PCIe card.
  • You should hopefully be within your return window to have it exchanged.
  • I would also suggest returning the new card.
  • By the way, is the new card installed on a new PCIe x1 adapter or on the old PCIe x1 adapter?
The "new" card is a completely new PCI card and the board is sealed in it. I just ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2G4ZN0/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
To see if it solves the problem. I will another PCIe card if this next one fails.

• I would recommend the Sapphire Pulse RX 580 over the WX 7100. (Avoid the Sapphire Nitro+.) I tend to recommend the RX 580 over the RX Vega as well because it works very well out-of-the-box. Vega cards often require custom fan and power settings, so you must be willing to spend some time to research and set up the Vega properly. All of these cards can run 4K at 60Hz.
  • I would also recommend the EVGA SuperNova over the EVGA Bq.
  • The rest of your selections are good.
When I had the Vega 56 connected, I couldn't get past the install phase. So I took it out then I completed the install. But when I put it in, the computer freezes at the login screen. Where should I put the Vega 56 drivers? This has me completely confused.

When I had the Vega 56 connected, I couldn't get past the install phase. So I took it out then I completed the install. But when I put it in, the computer freezes at the login screen. Where should I put the Vega 56 drivers? This has me completely confused.
  • What is the make and model of the Vega 56?
  • No drivers are needed because Mojave supports Vega cards natively; but some Vega cards are officially "recommended" by Apple and should be prioritized.
  • Lilu and WhateverGreen should be installed. At first you can install them in CLOVER/kexts/Other. Note that Lilu and WhateverGreen are not "drivers" but "enablers". They enable Radeon cards to work on Hackintoshes, but Apple's native driver actually drives the cards.
  • After installing the Vega, you should set BIOS --> Initial Display Output --> PCIe <n> Slot.
If you still have trouble with the system, please let us know and I'm sure the many Vega owners here will be able to provide guidance.

thanks, I wanted something that might arrive a little sooner, anyone tried this one Im thinking about ordering it!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07315KPVQ/?tag=tonymacx86-21
There is no Bluetooth on that. I asked the manufacturer several months ago.

@CaseySJ Here are my PCI entries.

I used the portable HWInfo64 version. There's only one Alpine Ridge entry and I'm fairly certain that it has to be the Elgato dock. No other Thunderbolt devices are connected to the PC. I also included the HTML file in the PHANTOM.rar archive which lists everything in detail.

Attachments

• PHANTOM.rar
    18.9 KB · Views: 62
PCI Express Root #5 is shown below in red.

View attachment 391930

It would be useful to expand this node fully (i.e. expand all child nodes as well) so we can see not only "Alpine Ridge" but also whether the UAD device is connected.

I'm sorry, I corrected my initial entry already. It now lists all the PCI Express Root entries.

I'm sorry, I corrected my initial entry already. It now lists all the PCI Express Root entries.
Can you please expand all entries under the one you highlighted? (PCI Express x4 Bus #9)

Back