Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

What does your /Library/Extensions folder look like? You currently have all kexts installed in CLOVER/kexts/Other and config.plist has Inject set to Detect. This means:
  • If FakeSMC (yes just this one item) is installed in /Library/Extensions, then none of the kexts from CLOVER will be injected.
  • So ensure that Lilu, WhateverGreen, AppleALC, IntelMausiEthernet, SmallTreeIntel82576, etc. are all installed in /Library/Extensions as well (and run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel cache).

/Library/Extensions has only the Apple kexts, on the advice of somebody on this thread (can't remember who):

Edit: here's a shot of my iStat Menus - the iGPU is not named, it just says 'GPU' and there are no data points:

Last edited:
Have you had any of the following problems:
  • Installing in x1 slot?
  • Delays or sync issues when streaming audio to a Bluetooth speaker?

My board is installed in the lower x1 slot. I don't have a Bluetooth speaker so I can't test that I'm afraid. The only issue I'm having with it is sometimes on boot, the card is detected and I get the Airport logo in the menu bar but I can't Turn WiFi On either from the menu bar or from System Prefs. If I reboot without attempting to click the Turn WiFi On button at least once, then the reboot will be exactly the same. If I click Turn WiFi On at least once before rebooting, then all is well after the reboot. Weird. The same thing happens if I manually turn WiFi off. I can't turn it back on until I select Turn WiFi On at least once, and then reboot.

/Library/Extensions has only the Apple kexts, on the advice of somebody on this thread (can't remember who):

View attachment 391534

Edit: here's a shot of my iStat Menus - the iGPU is not named, it just says 'GPU' and there are no data points:

View attachment 391541
Please have a look at JayMonkey's writeup on this subject:

By installing all third-party kexts in /Library/Extensions and setting Inject to Detect, several users of this motherboard have reported fixes to their sleep/wake issues. There may be other more subtle benefits. I would encourage you to try this as well.

Please have a look at JayMonkey's writeup on this subject:

By installing all third-party kexts in /Library/Extensions and setting Inject to Detect, several users of this motherboard have reported fixes to their sleep/wake issues. There may be other more subtle benefits. I would encourage you to try this as well.

I just followed that guide. Copied all kexts to /Library/Extensions with terminal, removed all but Lilu, WhateverGreen, and FakeSMC from CLOVER/kexts/Other, and rebuilt the kext cache. Rebooted - and now I'm getting cycling reboots half way through the startup process (just after the startup process changes over to use the dGPU and power both monitors). I tried booting from my backup USB which is completely up to date minus the changes tonight, but the same thing happens.

I had a look at the options at the Clover bootload screen but didn't see much that might help me get back into the machine. Any ideas?

I remember now - this is why somebody advised never to put kexts in the Mac OS drive! :) Can I force the boot process to use only the kexts in the CLOVER/kexts/Other folder on my USB stick, and forget about any in /Library/Extensions and /System/Library/Extensions?

I enabled -v and debug=0x100 in the Clover bootloader options, and tried enabling/disabling dev-kext-mode=1. I'm no longer getting cycling reboots, but this panic instead:

Edit: booting into recovery doesn't work - nothing happens until I release Command + R, and then the boot process continues as normal. I also tried Command + Option + R, and Command + Option + Shift + R :(

Last edited:
I just followed that guide. Copied all kexts to /Library/Extensions with terminal, removed all but Lilu, WhateverGreen, and FakeSMC from CLOVER/kexts/Other, and rebuilt the kext cache. Rebooted - and now I'm getting cycling reboots half way through the startup process (just after the startup process changes over to use the dGPU and power both monitors). I tried booting from my backup USB which is completely up to date minus the changes tonight, but the same thing happens.

I had a look at the options at the Clover bootload screen but didn't see much that might help me get back into the machine. Any ideas?
  • In your earlier configuration, the IGPU was not being enabled. This can affect JPEG Preview.
  • Even though your WhateverGreen configuration was correct (device ID 0x3E9B, platform ID 0x3E920003) for headless mode, the iGPU was still not being enabled (i.e. AppleIntelFramebuffer not attached).
  • This suggested that Lilu/WhateverGreen might not be loading properly. Hence the suggestion to copy all third-party kexts to /Library/Extensions. (But one can also run "kextstat" in Terminal to see which kexts are loaded.)
If you cannot boot from either USB or Mojave SSD:
  • If you boot from the USB (F12 at BIOS), can you run the Recovery disk?
  • If you can log into Recovery, you can run Terminal and delete the third-party kexts from /Volumes/Mojave/Library/Extensions:
    Code:
    cd /Volumes/Mojave/Library/Extensions
    rm -rf name_of_kext.kext
  • Then rebuild kernel caches like this:
    Code:
    cd /
    kextcache -i /Volumes/Mojave
  • Reboot from the Apple menu.
Next:
  • Insert USB disk in a Mac and mount the EFI Partition.
  • Copy all the third-party kexts into the CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
This should get you back to the previous state.

• In your earlier configuration, the IGPU was not being enabled. This can affect JPEG Preview.
  • Even though your WhateverGreen configuration was correct (device ID 0x3E9B, platform ID 0x3E920003) for headless mode, the iGPU was still not being enabled (i.e. AppleIntelFramebuffer not attached).
  • This suggested that Lilu/WhateverGreen might not be loading properly. Hence the suggestion to copy all third-party kexts to /Library/Extensions. (But one can also run "kextstat" in Terminal to see which kexts are loaded.)
If you cannot boot from either USB or Mojave SSD:
  • If you boot from the USB (F12 at BIOS), can you run the Recovery disk?
  • If you can log into Recovery, you can run Terminal and delete the third-party kexts from /Volumes/Mojave/Library/Extensions:
    Code:
    cd /Volumes/Mojave/Library/Extensions
    rm -rf name_of_kext.kext
  • Then rebuild kernel caches like this:
    Code:
    cd /
    kextcache -i /Volumes/Mojave
  • Reboot from the Apple menu.
Next:
  • Insert USB disk in a Mac and mount the EFI Partition.
  • Copy all the third-party kexts into the CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
This should get you back to the previous state.

Cool - the rationale is solid!

I just edited my previous post - I can't reboot into recovery mode with key presses on startup, and I don't see any recovery drives when hitting F12 at startup, but there are some blank/unnamed entries in the list - so I will go through those.

CaseySJ said:
The behavior you're seeing is quite abnormal. With XMP Profile 1, your memory's full rated speed should be recognized immediately. You should never have to set memory clock speed manually. And the fact that each module is reporting half of its capacity is of course the very definition of "wrong". So my suggestion would be to return the memory and buy a different make/model.

To enable HDMI on the UHD 630, please try the attached config.plist. WhateverGreen must be present in /Library/Extensions.

About the RAM, interesting, I'll try to get a different set and see what's up. Thanks!

About the UHD 630, I tried your settings, but unfortunately I got stuck in the same place... Whatevergreen is indeed in /L/E... (the right one this time)

No joy - here's a shot of my BIOS F12 screen. The first two blank entries do nothing, they return to the boot device selection screen after 1 second. The third blank entry boots Fedora.

View attachment 391552
Recovery is not available from F12 boot screen, but from the Clover Boot Menu.

If you insert the USB flash disk into the Hackintosh, press F12 to boot from the USB stick, then at the Clover boot menu, select the Recovery volume.

Back